TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants interested in OT Shane Olivea

3 posters

Go down

Giants interested in  OT Shane Olivea Empty Giants interested in OT Shane Olivea

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:56 pm

from insidefootball.com

REPORT: GIANTS SIGN OT SHANE OLIVEA. According to a report from the San Diego Union Tribune, the Giants are said to be interested in signing former Charger OT Shane Olivea, who is scheduled to serve a league-imposed four-game suspension at the start of the 2008 season. Olivea is 6-4, 3112 lbs. and would provide the Giants with veteran depth at the tackle spot.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants interested in  OT Shane Olivea Empty Re: Giants interested in OT Shane Olivea

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:58 pm

from http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/weblog/archives/024542.html

Olivea suspended

Former Chargers tackle Shane Olivea has been suspended the first four games of the 2008 season, league sources told me this afternoon.

It bums me out it has come to this. Olivea is a good guy.

But his failing a test for illicit drugs is not surprising.

Consider this news an answer to the question of why Olivea has not signed with another team. (A few teams did show interest in signing him, and I was told he was close to signing with the Giants after June 1.)

All the Chargers would say when they released him in February was that Olivea had seemed to lose his motivation. But those around the team have known for some time that Olivea partied himself out of the league.

I am told that Olivea is getting help.

Posted by Kevin Acee on June 20, 2008 04:12 PM | Permalink
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants interested in  OT Shane Olivea Empty Re: Giants interested in OT Shane Olivea

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:05 pm

This is very interesting

Firstly, the front office is obviously wants to improve the quality of our Oline depth.

While Whimper will probably be ok, what does it mean for guys like Koets, Ruegamer etc?

If Olivea has his head screwed on right, he could possibly push seubert for a starting spot.

Ironically Olivea did very well under Marty Schottenheimer, so perhaps Coughlin's system can straighten him out.

I wouldn't be against signing Shane Olivea

It if very interesting that the Giants have had success with players having "character issues" such as Burress, Bradshaw and now Manningham etc. It is very clear that the team focus instilled by Reese and Coughlin does work; I suspect a reasonable part of that is the competition for spots.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:16 pm

Holy crap! I'll welcome a 3000lb tackle any day of the week to the giants offense. Laughing
Seriously though. More depth at the position the better imo.
With Grey Reugamer in his last year of contract maybe the giants are hopeful of getting some versatility out of Olivea plus he's only 26.
And at the very least, Olivea should beat out Na'shan Goddard for a roster spot.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  deranged Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:24 pm

He's gotta make the team first. Might do that, might not. Who knows, really.

deranged
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:25 pm

Actually, we would have to actually sign him yet

I would think he would have an excellent chance of making the roster.

McKenzie, Snee, O'Hara, Seubert, Diehl and Whimper are locks to make the roster

it means that Olivea would be competing with Ruegamer, Koets, Goddard etc for probably 2 backup roster positions
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:02 pm

from kffl.com

NFL | Olivea to be reinstated
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:18:11 -0700

Kevin Acee, of The San Diego Union-Tribune, reports former San Diego Chargers OT Shane Olivea had his suspension lifted after the NFL determined Olivea did not receive notification of his failed drug test.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:03 pm

With his reinstatement, perhap Olivea could be a Giant in the very near future

If it is going to happen, it will likely be before training camp starts
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down