TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants vs Seahawks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Giants vs Seahawks

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58 am

What are some of the keys to winning this game going to be?

Sign in and share your thoughts.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants vs Seahawks

Post  Pizan on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Pressure and running the Ball, IMO. I'm anxious to see Whitehurst and Marshawn Lynch. I like what they are doing over there in Seattle.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:04 am

This is going to sound Coughlin-esque

but the keys are

Running the Ball, which opens up the passing game (stopping teams focussing on it)

Stopping the Run, stopping the Run opens our nasty pass rush

Limiting Turnovers
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:44 am

for interest, here is what Scouts inc had to say about the game
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=301107026

Giants-Seahawks: 10 observations
By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc. New York at Seattle
When: 4:05 PM ET

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Giants-Seahawks matchup.

1. Dealing with the road: The Giants have won four in a row, but Seattle is an extremely difficult place to play. New York is turning the ball over way too much, but it is also quite adept at creating turnovers. Problem is, the Giants have been terrible on special teams, while the Seahawks have been quite strong.

2. Change it up: Along with using two running backs effectively, the Giants will vary their run personnel quite a bit. Seattle will see a sixth offensive lineman at times, plenty of double tight end sets and the use of a fullback as a downhill blocker. And New York will mix these with one another for a heavy run set. But the Seahawks' defense also can creative with personnel, including a sub package with seven defensive backs on the field together.

3. Account for two very different runners: Marshawn Lynch is the lead runner. He is a downhill banger who brings physicality to this offense. Justin Forsett is the more elusive option and better receiving threat. But New York has been absolutely stifling to opposing running backs and the Seahawks had no running game to speak of in Oakland.

4. Pound the rock: Seattle is very stout in their front seven, led by relative unknowns Brandon Mebane, Red Bryant and David Hawthorne. Oakland, though, ran for a whopping 239 yards and averaged 6.1 per carry last week. And now, Seattle's defensive line is absolutely decimated by injuries. The Giants are breaking off a ton of long runs this year. A big reason for that is RT Kareem McKenzie who has been a real road-grader in the run game. As a run-blocking unit, the Giants' line has really come together as the season has progressed. Another guy to take note of is Bear Pascoe, a tight end/fullback hybrid who has been terrific as a lead blocker out of the backfield.

5. Matchup to watch -- Giants LT David Diehl vs. Seahawks DE/OLB Chris Clemons: Diehl remains a liability in protection and really should not be playing left tackle. Clemons is used as a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker and will generally line up to the weak side of the formation. Clemons is the Seahawks' best pass-rusher and built for speed. These two will tangle quite a bit, with the edge going to Seattle; Clemons has been a terror.

6. Protect the middle of the field: Eli Manning is far more productive and efficient when throwing outside the numbers this year, and the difference is staggering. Throwing against the Seahawks has not been hard to do this season and in particular, the Giants' wideouts have a nice advantage over the corners. Manning has not been very good on third downs, but he does handle the blitz quite well.

7. Get it to Big Mike: Before being limited to one catch last week, Mike Williams had 21 catches for 210 yards over the two previous games. He does have too many drops and isn't a big play weapon, but he is probably the best receiving threat that Matt Hasselbeck has at his disposal. But this pass offense needs more than just Williams. In particular, TE John Carlson needs to step up in all capacities (and Hasselbeck needs to look for him). Also, Seattle would be wise to target CB Terrell Thomas.

8. Hit Manning: A key to disrupting the Giants' passing game is getting Manning off his spot. He hasn't done well outside the pocket in 2010. But the Seahawks' defensive front is beat up and New York's offensive line has consistently improved throughout the season. It'll be interesting to see if Seattle is willing to expose themselves via the blitz.

9. Help the edge protection: If LT Russell Okung (ankle) can't go, it will make it much more difficult to give RT Sean Locklear help, as Locklear will surely need assistance with the Giants' defensive line arsenal. Protection was a huge problem in Oakland, as the Raiders got to Hasselbeck seven times and harassed him all afternoon. Seattle was also dreadful on third downs last week. The Giants are not allowing many big plays through the air.

10. Matchup to watch -- Seattle's run blocking vs. Giants' front seven: Seattle needs to get much better run blocking from the interior off their offensive line and overall, their front five is very beat up with injuries. The Giants' defensive ends get a lot of attention -- and rightfully so -- but the DT tandem of Chris Canty and Barry Cofield has been outstanding. Often considered the weakness of the Giants' defense, their linebackers collectively are also playing very strong football this season.

Prediction
New York 21
Seattle 10
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:11 am

Pizan wrote:Pressure and running the Ball, IMO. I'm anxious to see Whitehurst and Marshawn Lynch. I like what they are doing over there in Seattle.
I'm a Lynch fan as a player. I get a lot of Buffalo games so seen him play quite a bit.
I think the Giants can contain him though. He's similar to Marion Barber's style and we stopped him in Dallas.

56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:05 pm

My gut is telling me we are gonna lose this game. If don't establish the run and take this crowd out of it we'll struggle.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Pizan wrote:My gut is telling me we are gonna lose this game. If don't establish the run and take this crowd out of it we'll struggle.

We are winning the game through the air. The ground game is solid and the defense is getting the job done.

kick coverage seems to be improved as well
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Yea we took the crowd outta the game early and that made it a lot easier on the passing game. Good win, next week Dallas.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:52 pm

yep

nice to see some the backups get reps

How was Shawn Andrews at Left Tackle?
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:24 am

Big_Pete wrote:
How was Shawn Andrews at Left Tackle?
pretty goood actually. Andrews has much quicker feet than Diehl has at the position. It's almost comical though to watch because Andrews carries so much more weight.

Seubert was a stud at center also.

I really like this line-up.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:56 pm

^ I agree. Andrews, Diehl, Suebert, Snee, McKenzie give us a mauling unit. Now we need a little better test than Seattle but i think this could work.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Pizan wrote:^ I agree. Andrews, Diehl, Suebert, Snee, McKenzie give us a mauling unit. Now we need a little better test than Seattle but i think this could work.

lookd like Diehl is out a couple of weeks with a torn hammy

If O'Hara can't go it looks like we will have

McKenzie, Snee, Seubert, Boothe/Petrus, Andrews

Thats still a strong lineup

Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Beatty is coming back soon so he could play LT and Andrews could slide to LG. Or Andrews can stay at LT with Boothe or Petrus at LG. We are very flexible along the line thats for sure. But losing Diehl a few weeks to a Partially torn hamstring is much better than losing him for the season.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:15 pm

It's going to be another mystery week for the Giants o-line
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile