TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

How free agency shapes up for NYG in 2011

3 posters

Go down

How free agency shapes up for NYG in 2011 Empty How free agency shapes up for NYG in 2011

Post  Big_Pete Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:42 pm

It could be tough to overhaul the roster in free agency.

I do expect there to be a new collective bargaining agreement in place for 2011, but it is not likely to be in place by the start of the season on 1 March.

This means players will very likely need six years of eligibility to become a free agent (just like 2010)

It will mean that Steve Smith, Ahmad Bradshaw, DJ Ware, Domenik Hixon, Kevin Boss, Kevin Boothe, Matthias Kiwanuka, Dave Tollefson, Barry Cofield, Gerris Wilkinson and Michael Johnson will be restricted free agents. (with a CBA most of these would have been unrestricted)

our only unrestricted free agents will be Deon Grant, Keith Bulluck, Chase Blackburn, Derek Hagan and Jim Sorgi

It will also mean there is much less opportunity to overhaul our key positions in free agency.

It will also mean there is much less opportunity to overhaul our key positions in free agency.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

How free agency shapes up for NYG in 2011 Empty Re: How free agency shapes up for NYG in 2011

Post  Boo Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Two questions...

1- To what extent do you believe the Giants roster must be "overhauled"?

2- If you believe it needs somewhat of an extensive overhaul, do you consider trying to trade your biggest commodity, Eli Manning, who could bring multiple draft picks/players, ala Herschel Walker?

Boo
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

How free agency shapes up for NYG in 2011 Empty Re: How free agency shapes up for NYG in 2011

Post  Big_Pete Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:12 pm

Boo wrote:Two questions...

1- To what extent do you believe the Giants roster must be "overhauled"?

2- If you believe it needs somewhat of an extensive overhaul, do you consider trying to trade your biggest commodity, Eli Manning, who could bring multiple draft picks/players, ala Herschel Walker?

I don't think the roster needs to be overhauled too much, we have good talent and depth at most postions.

The key area that needs to be upgraded is our corners in my opinion

There is no way you trade eli. While he may not be an elite QB he is a franchise QB and a heck of a lot better then other options.

I think we just need to tighten things up offensively, which is why I suspect it may be time for a new offensive coordinator and some fresh ideas.

Offensively we do need to upgrade TE, not necessarily with the receiving TE in vogue around the NFL, but ideally an all round TE who can also block well.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:02 am

Big_Pete wrote:
Offensively we do need to upgrade TE, not necessarily with the receiving TE in vogue around the NFL, but ideally an all round TE who can also block well.

Just wondering, what do you guys think of Bear Pascoe back at Tight end? Let's say the Giants get fb, Hedgeock back next year.
Should we re-sign Boss, keep Pascoe and Beckum in the mix?
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:05 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:

Just wondering, what do you guys think of Bear Pascoe back at Tight end? Let's say the Giants get fb, Hedgeock back next year.
Should we re-sign Boss, keep Pascoe and Beckum in the mix?

I don't think Boss is a quality starter, but he can contribute, but more of a #2; I don't think Beckum has been utilised well and Pascoe can be a good blocking TE, but he has the inside running at FB (he is better than Hedgecock)

I would prefer we bring in someone like Vonta Leach at FB, but otherwise Pascoe is the guy
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down