TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants: Tom Coughlin will be back

3 posters

Go down

Giants: Tom Coughlin will be back Empty Giants: Tom Coughlin will be back

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Giants: Tom Coughlin will be back

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 2, 2011, 8:12 PM EST
Tom Coughlin

Giants owner John Mara read his team the riot act after their late season collapse last year, promising “major changes.”

This year, Mara is promising to stay the course despite missing the playoffs again. Mara announced after New York’s 17-14 win over Washington that Coughlin would return as head coach in 2011.

“The only time you make a coaching change is when the players aren’t responding to the coach. That is not the case here,” Mara said via the New York Daily News.

Mara added that he told Coughlin earlier in the week that he would be returning. It’s unclear if Mara will look to extend Coughlin’s contract; the coach is entering a lame duck year.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants: Tom Coughlin will be back Empty Re: Giants: Tom Coughlin will be back

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:09 pm

I think this is the right call, Coughlin is a heck of a coach and the players are responding to him.

I hope they really look at the offensive system though (as well as LB and CB)

I guess the next step will be whether Gilbride or Fewell get head coaching jobs in the latest round of the coaching carousel

Last edited by Big_Pete on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:16 pm

I actually think there is a very real chance both Fewell and Gilbride get head coaching jobs this year.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:28 pm

from espn.com

John Mara: Tom Coughlin will return

By Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

New York Giants co-owner John Mara said Sunday that Tom Coughlin will be back as coach of the team next season.

"I believe in the guy. I believe in stability," said Mara. "The players play hard for him."

As to whether Coughlin will be offered a contract extension beyond 2011, Mara said: "That's a discussion for a later date."

Mara was adamant in sticking with Coughlin, who finished the season with a 10th victory but out of the playoffs for the second straight year. He said there was never any doubt that the head coach would return.

"I'm obviously disappointed we didn't make the playoffs but that doesn't mean you blow the whole thing up," Mara said. "I think we have a good, solid organization and there are some things we can improve on but he's still the guy that we want as our head coach."

The Giants went 10-6, making New York and Tampa Bay the first NFC teams since 1991 to miss the playoffs despite double-digit victories. Instead, another team with a 10-6 record -- Green Bay -- got the conference's last postseason berth.

"You wanted the other part of the package," Coughlin said. "To win the 10 games was nice, but we all wanted to win the 10 games so we could get a chance to play next week as well."

Mara met with Coughlin during the middle of the week to encourage Coughlin and tell the head coach that ownership supported him. He had a defiant tone when commenting about the speculation surrounding Coughlin's job security.

"I'm proud of how the players battled through the injuries," Mara said. "I think that is a testament to the coach. In this society, everybody wants to fire the coach all the time. The Yankees get knocked off in the playoffs, everybody wants to fire the manager. Well, we don't do that here."

"He's going to be our coach," Mara continued. "Because I believe in the guy, I believe in stability, you can't build anything if you are constantly making changes and firing people. That is not our culture and it is just not what we believe in. We know this guy is a good coach and we want him to lead us into next season."

The 64-year-old Coughlin has been the Giants' coach since 2004 and led them to the Super Bowl title at the end of the 2007 season. But he also oversaw late swoons the past two seasons.

The Giants started 2009 at 5-0 before dropping eight of 11 down the stretch, including poor efforts in their final two games to miss the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

This season, New York had a 9-4 record going into an NFC East showdown against the Philadelphia Eagles two weeks ago -- then led that game 31-10 with 8 minutes left. But Michael Vick and the Eagles came all the way back to beat the Giants 38-31, with DeSean Jackson scoring a touchdown on a 65-yard punt return on the final play.

The Giants could have clinched a playoff berth last weekend by beating the Packers, but lost 45-17.

"We had put so much into the Philadelphia game, to be honest with you," Coughlin said, "and then to lose it like we did -- and actually, we practiced well that next week, but we didn't have the passion and the emotion."

He, for one, showed plenty of both on the sideline Sunday.

After one of Eli Manning's passes went off Mario Manningham's hands and ended up as an interception in the first quarter, Coughlin barked at Manningham as the receiver left the field. The coach also hustled over to slap hands with Manningham after he caught a 92-yard TD pass from Manning about 2½ minutes into the second half.

Coughlin later made his way onto the field for pats on players' backsides after his defense forced one of its four turnovers. And he was cursing after Lawrence Tynes missed a 39-yard field-goal attempt.

After the game, Coughlin was asked whether he had any doubts about whether he would keep his job.

"I have no doubt," he replied, "but we just have to see about that."
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:56 pm

It's the right decision.
I know everyone would like to see a big Cowher signing but Coughlin is a damn good coach.
Chances are, that Perry Fewell will be back and this defense and offense will only get better.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:It's the right decision.
I know everyone would like to see a big Cowher signing but Coughlin is a damn good coach.
Chances are, that Perry Fewell will be back and this defense and offense will only get better.

I also think this is the right call.

I am not so confident Fewell will be back. I hope so, but he will be in the mix for HC jobs, he will get interviews, I guess there is around a 35% chance he gets s gig elsewhere
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 am

I'm fine with him returning as well as the other coaches. 10 win season isn't a bad season but missing the playoffs stings a little bit.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:48 pm

According to the News Alert, Coughlin has a desire to coach many more years not just the remainder of his current contract.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:52 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:According to the News Alert, Coughlin has a desire to coach many more years not just the remainder of his current contract.

Yep six to eight years.

Coughlin will reportedly get a one year extension, so it looks like one year at a time at this stage.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:22 am

Big_Pete wrote:Coughlin will reportedly get a one year extension, so it looks like one year at a time at this stage.
If Coughlin is fine with that then great. He clearly still has the energy to coach more seasons.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down