TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants' Fewell could be favorite for Panthers job

3 posters

Go down

Giants' Fewell could be favorite for Panthers job Empty Giants' Fewell could be favorite for Panthers job

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Giants' Fewell could be favorite for Panthers job: report
Giants Blog

Last Updated: 11:08 AM, January 6, 2011

Posted: 10:49 AM, January 6, 2011
Comments: 0
More Print

Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is a "serious candidate" and "possibly a favorite" to become Panthers head coach, the Rock Hill Herald reports.

The report by writer Darin Gantt via Twitter says , "I can promise you from conversations with folks up and down the building, Fewell is a very serious candidate here, and possibly a favorite."

Coincidentally, Fewell would replace John Fox, who was named head coach in Carolina after serving as Giants defensive coordinator.

Fewell also has been asked to interview with the Broncos, Browns and 49ers .

The Herald also report the Panthers plan to interview Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan , brother of Jets coach Rex Ryan.

To comply with the NFL's Rooney Rule, teams must interview a minority candidate for an available head-coaching job.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_fewell_could_be_favorite_OfmxApKbXS1WTpTdzgHQVM#ixzz1AIEqvlQd
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants' Fewell could be favorite for Panthers job Empty Re: Giants' Fewell could be favorite for Panthers job

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:34 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Fewell got the job in Carolina (and it is the only strong chance he has for the job)

One of Richardson's priorities is to not spend much money, I think Fewell will be cheaper than guys like Rivera and he is a good fit for their defensive scheme
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants' Fewell could be favorite for Panthers job Empty Re: Giants' Fewell could be favorite for Panthers job

Post  Pizan Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:38 pm

I think Rob Ryan is a dark horse for that position with the Panthers. I don't think Fewell will impress nearly as much.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Pizan wrote:I think Rob Ryan is a dark horse for that position with the Panthers. I don't think Fewell will impress nearly as much.

Perhaps, but I think Rob Ryan will end up at a higher profile team.

Don't forget that Fewell grew up and went to college in Carolina, so he has strong local ties, which will be seen as a big plus from a fans point of view.

I also think Fewell would come cheaper than Rob Ryan which is a big deal for Richardson.

It is interesting that Fewell is getting a lot more interviews (and most of these team have already interviewed minority candidates, so he isn't just the token minority candidate).

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:11 pm

The more I read about Fewell going to the Panthers, the more I think it could happen.
I don't like it though and will become a Jets fan if Fewell does leave. Laughing never
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Here is what espn's Adam Schefter said in his latest chat

Ryan (Damascus, MD)

With so many teams interviewing Perry Fewell for head coaching jobs, do the Giants have any hope of retaining him?

Adam Schefter (2:42 PM)

Don't like their chances, Ryan. Perry is in demand and it sounds like he'll land a head coaching job somewhere, be it Carolina or Denver or Cleveland. He interviewed with the Panthers for a long time yesterday and it supposedly went very well. We'll see. But it could be one and done in NY.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down