TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Antrel Rolle: Rex Ryan better than Coughlin

3 posters

Go down

Antrel Rolle: Rex Ryan better than Coughlin Empty Antrel Rolle: Rex Ryan better than Coughlin

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:20 pm

from http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/01/18/2011-01-18_antrel_rolle_says_giants_are_better_than_jets_rex_ryan_has_edge_on_tom_coughlin_.html?r=sports%2Ffootball%2Fgiants&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fgiants+%28Sports%2FFootball%2FGiants%29

Antrel Rolle says Giants are better than Jets, Rex Ryan has edge on Tom Coughlin among players

BY Ralph Vacchiano
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, January 18th 2011, 1:25 PM
Antrel Rolle harps on Tom Coughlin's controlling attitude in an interview with a Miami radio station and points to how the Jets 'would die' for Rex Ryan, their boisterous coach.

Antrel Rolle believes the Giants are "better than all those teams" still playing in the NFL playoffs, including the Jets. So why are they sitting home while the Jets are one game away from Super Bowl XLV?

The difference in the teams, according to Rolle, is the coach.

Rolle, the Giants' mouthy safety, ripped into Tom Coughlin in a radio interview on Monday while praising the way Jets coach Rex Ryan treats his players. Both he and safety Kenny Phillips made it clear they'd love to play for a guy like Ryan, as opposed to Coughlin, whom Rolle said is "too uptight."

"People like to talk about Rex Ryan, but that team is going to war for him," Rolle said on WQAM in Miami on Monday afternoon. "They would die for him."

"I would love to play for a guy like Rex," Phillips added. "He allows you to be you. He's not asking you to hide. If you're a guy that likes to talk, go out and talk as long as you back it up. Like 'Trel said, these guys are playing for him. I'd love to be a part of that."

Just how deep the Rex-envy goes in the Giants' locker room is unclear. What is clear, though, is how much of a problem Rolle has with Coughlin. He first stated it in September, when he complained in a radio interview that the atmosphere around the team was "too controlled".

Four months later, Rolle still has the same complaints.

"Honestly, I'm not having the fun I'm used to having," he said. "As a person, I don't have any problems with Coach Coughlin. I mean, we have a great relationship. We have a great understanding. But when you're talking about the coaching side of things, do I feel like things are a little too uptight? Yeah, I do. I feel like if he just loosened up just a little bit - still run the ship the way you want to run it, still run the program the way you want to run it, but let us have a little fun. Because at the end of the day, that's what it's all about."

That fun, apparently, was the missing ingredient for the Giants during their disappointing, playoff-less, 10-6 season. In fact, Rolle said the Giants are a better team than the Jets - "better than all those teams" that are still playing.

The difference? The Jets' chemistry is better. The head coaches, Rolle said, are responsible for that.

"If you match us up against the Jets, do I think they're a better team? No, I don't think so at all," Rolle said. "But when it comes to their chemistry, I think their chemistry might be better than ours. I think that they have a lot more fun than we have. Yeah, we're professional athletes. Yeah we get paid a lot of money to do what we do. But at the end of the day, we're all human. We're all human beings. No one is a robot at this level. So we do have feelings. We like to have fun. That's what it is.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Antrel Rolle: Rex Ryan better than Coughlin Empty Re: Antrel Rolle: Rex Ryan better than Coughlin

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Just checked that out.
Antrel Rolle talks too much.
I can see this heading right down the path towards disaster. Right up there with the Shockey and Tiki type talking.

*Note to Rolle. Don't make playoff promises that you can't keep. Who do you think you are, Jim Fassel?
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Antrel Rolle: Rex Ryan better than Coughlin Empty Re: Antrel Rolle: Rex Ryan better than Coughlin

Post  Pizan Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 pm

I think this is a case where the media is trying to make more of something than it actually is.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Pizan wrote:I think this is a case where the media is trying to make more of something than it actually is.

True, but I high profile NFL player should be a lot smarter

particularly with the Giants, Reese and Coughlin

and particularly in NY
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 am

here is an article from insidefootball.com about Antrel's comments

Critiquing Rolle's Critique of Coughlin

Giants’ safety Antrel Rolle is at it again.

The Giants’ outspoken safety, in an interview with former WFAN radio personality Sid Rosenberg, now with WQAM in Miami, said that he’s “not having the fun I’m used to having” playing for Giants head coach Tom Coughlin.

I respect Rolle. I think he is a good person who really does try to be a good football player and a good teammate. I think he has a lot of upside, even though he struggled a bit in coverage this year, and I think he is going to work his butt off to be an even better player next year.

However, I think that Rolle’s fatal flaw, if you will, is that he gets caught up on the quantity of what comes out of his mouth rather than the quality.

Let’s look at some of the latest “gems” to come from Rolle, with one for good measure from S Kenny Phillips, who also chimed in on the interview with Rosenberg.

“When you're talking about the coaching side of things, do I feel like things are a little too uptight? Yeah, I do. I feel like if he just loosened up just a little bit, still run the ship the way you want to run it, still run the program the way you want to run it but let us have a little fun, because at the end of the day that's what it's all about.”

At the end of the day, it’s all about winning. Period. You win, you have fun. You lose, then coming to work is going to be harder, no question.

Every coach goes about it differently – you have the Bill Belichicks and Tom Coughlins of the world, and then you have the Rex Ryans and Ken Whisehunts.

Is one style better than the other? Belichick and Coughlin have won five Super Bowls between them. Whisenhunt and Ryan currently have zero combined.

Not to speak for Rolle, but I think the reason why he is so intrigued with how Ryan runs his program is because the players can say whatever they want without fear of punishment, an atmosphere that has to appeal to the outspoken as Rolle.

For instance, last week Jets CB Antonio Cromartie called Patriots’ QB Tom Brady an “a-hole.” C Nick Mangold made a not-so subtle reference to “SpyGate” when speaking about WR Wes Welker. Neither man was punished or reprimanded by Ryan, who simply shrugged it off.

However, when Welker put together a rather clever routine that consisted of several references intended to take a poke at Ryan’s alleged foot fetish, Belichick punished the receiver by benching him for the first series.

Is that Rolle’ s idea of having fun?

Consider this. When Rolle initially made waves by questioning Coughlin after the loss to the Colts, he was called into the principal’s office where he had his hand slapped and was reportedly told to install a buffer before speaking.

The next day, he was quickly trying to stuff the toothpaste back into the tube, all while probably biting is tongue so hard that it’s a miracle he was able to say anything after that.

Yeah, it must be fun to work in an environment where you’re not held accountable for what comes out of your mouth. In fact it must be the American dream. Too bad real life doesn't work that way.

“Since I’ve been playing the game since the age of six, to me it’s never been about the money, it’s never been about anything more than winning and having fun.”

Of all the things Rolle said, this is the one I believe the least. It’s ALWAYS about the money. If it wasn’t, then why accept a free agent contract that made you the highest paid at your position despite, as Rolle claimed in his first conference call with the Giants media, “The Cardinals were willing to match any offer the Giants had on the table.”

If it wasn’t about money, then why didn’t he return to the Cardinals, a team that Rolle said in the WQAM interview, “had fun when we won and we had fun when we lost”?

Why?

“For the most part, when I came here to visit the New York Giants, it reminded me of a feeling I once had when I went to visit the University of Miami when I was being recruited at the collegiate level,” Rolle explained in that same conference call. “I just felt like I was at home here.”

Alright then!

“If you match us up against the Jets, do I think they're a better team? No, I don't think so at all. However, when it comes to their chemistry, I think their chemistry might be better than ours. I think they have a lot more fun than we have.”

I take issue with this comment for the very same reason why the players take issue with the media when we try to portray what goes on in the locker room as though we’re there as long as the player are each day. (For the record, the media gets about 2-4 sessions per week for about 45 minutes a pop, excluding game day. The players, by contrast, are there for about 8+ hours a day.)

Rolle is NOT in the Jets locker room every day (and if a player is sitting there keeping a close eye on what’s going on in another team’s locker room instead of taking care of his own Ps and Qs during the season, that’s not good.)

His perception of what goes on comes from media reports during the post season, when everyone is rejuvenated. Sure, maybe he gets an opportunity to call a player or two up here and there to talk about things. The point is you can’t just look at a couple of weeks – you have to look at the entire season -- and I’m sure that when the Jets had their struggles, the chemistry took a hit.

(I have to toss in the following one from S Kenny Phillips, who joined Rolle on the interview with Rosenberg.)

“I would love to play for a guy like Rex. He goes to bat for his players. He'll take the blame, he allows you to be you. He's not asking you to hide. If you're a guy who likes to talk, go out and talk, long as you back it up.”

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I’ve been at every Coughlin press conference/conference call this year. I have the transcripts. NOT ONCE was I able to find an instance where Coughlin threw anyone under the bus for their shortcomings. NOT ONE did I see Coughlin pass the buck for a loss -- even though he can’t be blamed for some of the stupidity that takes place on the field of play.

Is it so wrong that Coughlin wants his players to take pride and do well?

There’s something in Phillips’ statement, though, that I think underscores the issues that both he and Rolle – and perhaps other players for all we know -- have with Coughlin’s coaching style:

“If you're a guy who likes to talk, go out and talk, long as you back it up.”

In my opinion, there is the crux of the issue -- that atttiude contradicts Coughlin's theme of, "Talk is cheap; play the game."

Both guys apparently like to talk. Neither really backed it up, though who knows? Maybe they thought they did.

One more from Rolle.

“At the end of the day, if I’m not doing what I need to do as a player, you come and tell me, and we sit down and talk about it and I’m going to try to do whatever I can to get better at it. That’s how I am,” Rolle said. “I take coaching; I can take the constructive criticism. That’s how I am. And I feel like everyone else in this league should also take it the same way.”

This one was interesting because as I said earlier, I have no doubts that after Rolle initially vented following the Indianapolis loss, he was spoken to by the team about being so outward with his opinions.

I have to believe that the Giants urged Rolle to bring any concerns he has about how things are done to the person with whom he has the issues, something I'd view as constructive criticism.

Has he done that? Has he taken the constructive criticism the way he said he would?

If he did, would we even be having this discussion?

Read more: http://trainathought.insidefootball.com/2011/01/critiquing-rolles-critique-of-coughlin-.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Train-aThought+%28Inside+Football%27s+%22Train-a+Thought%22%29#ixzz1BSosP9vs
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:29 am

and another article from inside football, this time about Kenny Phillips' comments

Phillips Clarifies His Comments About Coughlin

Giants S Kenny Phillips, who was one-half of the safety tandem whose remarks made to a Miami radio station came across as highly critical, has taken to the Internet to clear the air about his feelings about Giants head coach Tom Coughlin.

Phillips, on a joint interview with teammate Antrel Rolle, told Sid Rosenberg on Monday that he admired the atmosphere in the Jets locker room

"I would love to play for a guy like Rex," Phillips said. "He goes to bat for his players. He'll take the blame, he allows you to be you. He's not asking you to hide. If you're a guy who likes to talk, go out and talk, long as you back it up. Like 'Trel said, his guys are playing for him and I'd love to be a part of that."

Phillips, who apparently was taken aback by the firestorm his comments created, posted a blog entry on his official website to clarify his thoughts.

“I do not want to play for the Jets. I do not want to play for Rex Ryan,” he wrote. “I was drafted by the Giants, they stuck with me through my injury, and I’m very happy to be a part of this organization.

Rolle, meanwhile, has not spoken further about his comments.

Read more: http://trainathought.insidefootball.com/2011/01/phillips-clarifies-his-comments-on-coughlin.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Train-aThought+%28Inside+Football%27s+%22Train-a+Thought%22%29#ixzz1BSpKahvq
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 am

I'm not so sure in this case Vin.
Yes the media tends to blow these things up as much as they can, but Rolle and Phillips gave them every reason to by saying what they said.

Comments like these have a trickle down effect on the whole team, especially when things start going wrong.

The comments were even a bit disturbing to the team's captain, Justin Tuck who already said he would bring it to Rolle's attention.
Coughlin has mentioned many times in post press conferences after bad games how himself was the one to be held accountable

At the end of the day. It sounds like Tom Coughlin would go into war for Rolle and Phillips but they wouldn't do the same back.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:15 pm

I think this will settle down in the end, but hopefully both will have a little more media awareness.

To be fair neither haven't been under the media scrutiny that they now have as regular starters in NY.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Here is Jerry Reese's take

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6055314

GM: Tom Coughlin talk spun wrong

By Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese said he has spoken with Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips pertaining to recent comments the two made about Tom Coughlin.

Reese said both safeties did not intend to say anything critical of Coughlin in a recent interview with a Miami radio station.

"Well again, when things go bad and your season doesn't end like you want it, anything you say can be misconstrued," Reese said in an interview with YES Network's Kimberly Jones in the upcoming "This Week In Football." "I talked to both of those players. They're very remorseful about how it was spun. Both said they're not that kind of people and I believe them, I think they're both good people."

While praising the Jets' playoff run and Rex Ryan's coaching style, Rolle said Coughlin could loosen up with his coaching style. The safety did go out of his way to say that he and the Giants head coach have a great relationship but he admitted to "not having the fun."

Phillips, who joined Rolle during the radio interview with Miami's WQAM, said he still was trying to figure out who Coughlin is outside of his coaching style. He also said that Ryan was the type of coach he and other players would like to play for. Phillips did not intend for his comments to be interpreted as jabs at Coughlin and immediately came out the next day and clarified his remarks.

Rolle, who in his first year with the Giants has been forthcoming in interviews, explained his stance to Reese that he did not mean to criticize Coughlin. Reese said he has spoken to the safety about saying less. Earlier in the season, Rolle questioned the leadership in the locker room and whether the team had too much of a controlled atmosphere.

He later sat down with Coughlin and Rolle was one of several players to defend the head coach at the end of the season when Coughlin's job status became a hot button topic when the Giants collapsed against the Eagles and were crushed by the Packers with a playoff berth on the line.

"That's some of the things that he and I talked about," Reese said of Rolle. "I had a private conversation, but those are some of the things that we talked about ... Less is more with the media. Hey, you do more on the field. You leave more on the field. You do your things on the field. You let your plays do the talking ... and he said he was 200 percent in, and I believe him."

Reese was also asked again about Plaxico Burress and whether the team would have interest in their former wide receiver once he is released from jail later this summer.

Reese reiterated, as he says about all free agents, that the team will explore the situation. But he said he will be in contact with Burress after his sentence ends.

"Well, you know my standard answer to that, we investigate everything and we'll definitely investigate that," Reese said. "But you know Plax, when he gets home I think the first thing he'll want to do is just spend time with his family, and we'll be in contact at the appropriate time. So we'll just let that unfold."

"Absolutely, we will not rule that out," Reese added.

As for his two safeties, Reese said they would likely be talking about something different had they made a few more defensive plays down the stretch. Reese made it clear in his press conference at the end of the season that he was disappointed at times with the amount of "explosive plays on the back end of the defense" allowed last season.

"If we make a couple plays, if Antrel makes a play back there, if Kenny Phillips makes a play back there, we're not having this conversation," Reese said. "We're probably still playing and everybody's saying, 'Wow, Tom Coughlin's got a great formula.' That's how it goes. Whoever is winning has the best formula for that year."
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down