TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants won't use franchise tag

3 posters

Go down

Giants won't use franchise tag Empty Giants won't use franchise tag

Post  Big_Pete Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:54 pm

No real surprise here

Giants won’t use franchise tag, either
Posted by Evan Silva on February 19, 2011, 1:48 PM EST

In a Saturday blog post entitled “Franchise tag makes no sense for Giants,” Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News cites multiple team and NFL sources to confirm that the Giants will not be using the franchise tag before the February 24 deadline.

No Giants player whose contract is expiring collected more than $1.776 million last season. The lowest non-kicker franchise number is expected to be roughly $7.3 million — for tight ends — and the G-Men haven’t deemed free agent tight end Kevin Boss worth that much.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes and punter Matt Dodge are both signed safely beyond 2011.

Other Giants free agents who might have an outside shot to be franchised include running back Ahmad Bradshaw, defensive end/linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka, wide receiver Steve Smith, and defensive tackle Barry Cofield.

But Kiwanuka is coming off a career-threatening neck injury. Assigning the tag to Bradshaw would give him an 850-percent raise on his 2010 salary of $1.101 million. Bradshaw has undergone at least four foot and ankle surgeries over the past two offseasons, and fumbled seven times last year. Cofield is rehabbing a surgically repaired shoulder after a 2010 microfracture knee procedure, and the Giants have a ready-made replacement in last year’s second-round pick, Linval Joseph. Smith had his own microfracture operation in December
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants won't use franchise tag Empty Re: Giants won't use franchise tag

Post  Big_Pete Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:01 pm

The bottom line is that all of these guys are replaceable and not worth the top money deals.

There is a chance we could lose any or even all of them in free agency, it they all get offered more money elsewhere.

To some degree I understand, after all if we were going to shell out big money for a player I would rather bring in guys like Chad Greenway or maybe Champ Bailey.

The other side of it is depending on the CBA situation, they could all be restricted free agents again (though I believe this is unlikely).
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Dang these players make way too much money. 7 million a year for anyone other than a QB is crazy.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:20 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:Dang these players make way too much money. 7 million a year for anyone other than a QB is crazy.

It is only going to get worse as the cap increases. The cap should be around $140m-150m per team this year (going roughly of the last cap and the recent annual increases).

remember, premium positions are getting $10mil+ per year.

I believe Corey Webster's cap number this year is actually higher than Eli Manning's deal.

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:31 am

I almost wonder if we are considering the transition tag for one of these guys. Maybe a transition tag on Cofield and then a trade. Smith obviously needs signed.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 am

Pizan wrote:I almost wonder if we are considering the transition tag for one of these guys. Maybe a transition tag on Cofield and then a trade. Smith obviously needs signed.

We can't use the transition tag on Cofield, you need six years of eligibility to use a transition tag. Minnesota have the same issue with Rice.

Our options are the franchise tag (and overpay) or let him walk and possibly get a compensation pick (likely a 3rd or 4th with his starting record)
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:07 pm

The way I understood it is thats only the case if you use a franchise tag. Which they did on Greenway. We have no plans on using the Franchise tag which allows us to use the Transition tag on Cofield.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Pizan wrote:The way I understood it is thats only the case if you use a franchise tag. Which they did on Greenway. We have no plans on using the Franchise tag which allows us to use the Transition tag on Cofield.

After looking into this a little more, I stand corrected

NBC Sports reports a league source recently said that the extra transition tag under the rules of the uncapped year may be applied only to a player with six years of service.

1. Normally a team can designate a franchise or transition tag.

2. Because the current league season is uncapped, you can designate an additional transition tag for a player with 6 accrued season.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 pm

I still don't think we Transition tag Cofield.

I don't believe the front office consider him worth the average salaries of the top 6 Dlinemen. Remember that will include Haynesworth's monster.

I think we could extend him for considerably less than the transition tag number.

btw there has been a huge jump in the DT franchise tag value to $12.5 million ($7 million in 2010)

The transition tag number is $9.405 million ($6.353 million in 2010)

Is Cofield worth a guaranteed $9.5 million ($2.5 million a year more than the 2010 franchise tag)?

Personally I think somewhere around $6 million a year is what Cofield is worth.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 am

No I'm not saying he's worth it. I think it could be used in order to buy time to trade him though and at least get something in return. From my understanding you can trade a transition tagged players rights or remove the tag.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down