TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

2010-2011 NYG Offseason Ideas (21 Feb)

3 posters

Go down

2010-2011 NYG Offseason Ideas (21 Feb) Empty 2010-2011 NYG Offseason Ideas (21 Feb)

Post  Big_Pete Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:36 am

Here is my current thinking of what I would like to see for offseason options for the Giants (21 Feb).

The priority this offseason is getting more physical on offense and upgrading the back seven (particularly LB)

Here is my current thinking.

Team Analysis -Veteran Additions - Departures

Quarterback

With Eli and Sage, we are set

Running Back

This is an interesting position, we could either keep the guys we have or even totally overhaul the whole position. I am going for something in between.

Resign
Ahmad Bradshaw - Much will depend on whether Bradshaw's fumbling can be redressed, but Coughlin seems confident this can be rectified. The Giants do like what Bradshaw brings to the table. I think it is a case of keeping Bradshaw or Jacobs and I think the latter (while still a good player) has burned too many bridges and is not playing up to the level of his contract, so we are better off reinvesting that money in other players.

Arrivals
Leon Washington (Seattle) - An ideal complement to Bradshaw and quality 3rd down RB. Washington is also the quality return guy we badly need.

Departures
DJ Ware, Brandon Jacobs

Fullback

Departures
Madison Hedgecock - Hedgecock is on the way out. Pascoe was a better blocker last season and should improve with more experience.

Wide Receivers

Resign
Steve Smith - one of the key pieces of the offense, he will be back. Coming off micro-fracture surgery, he will be able to be resigned reasonably cheaply.

Domenik Hixon - quality return guy and decent receiver at modest cost.

Derek Hagan - invaluable in his return, Hagan will be given the chance to compete for a roster spot, most likely coming down to Hagan or Cruz

Departures
Mark Clayton

Tight End

Whether we resign Boss or look at other options in free agency, we will be spending decent money. It makes more sense to me to spend a little more and upgrade if at all possible, though Boss is a solid plan B. Pascoe gives us valuable TE and FB depth as well as special teams play and Beckum is a potentially dangerous H-Back.

Arrivals
Zach Miller (Oakland) - Miller is a good blocker and reliable, productive receiver. Miller isn't the deep receiving TE in vogue in the NFL, but he is a Witten-stye TE who will improve the running game and help keep the chains moving.

Departures
Kevin Boss - Boss is a solid TE, but this is a position we can upgrade. If we are going to spend money on a veteran, it is worth looking at options to upgrade.

Offensive Line

Resign
Shawn Andrews - His back may be an ongoing issue, but he does give us experienced depth at multiple positions.

Defensive End

Resign
Matthias Kiwanuka - If he tests out ok medically (as I expect), Kiwanuka will be offered a one year deal which will enable him to restore his value.

Dave Tollefson - Will be offered a deal for a similar role, but it could be tough to keep 5 DEs again.

Defensive Tackles
Cofield has been a very good player for us, but the writing was on the wall when we tried to trade him last offseason. With a career year, Cofield will attract attention from other teams and get more money to play elsewhere. The Giants aren't going to shell out big money for Cofield, particularly when we have a ready replacement waiting in the wings with Linval Joseph. By not resigning Cofield, we save a lot of money that can invest in other positions.

Departures
Barry Cofield - Cofield was a big part of the strong defensive line inside, retaining Cofield ensures we continue to have a top quality DT rotation.

Linebacker

This is the major position in most need of overhaul.

Resign
Chase Blackburn - not really in the positional mix, but he is a key special teamer

Arrivals

Chad Greenway (Minnesota) - Linebackers haven't been featured in Fewell's schemes, but we do need to add a quality veteran playmaker; ideally someone who can play SLB in our three LB fronts and replace Goff in our two LB sets in passing situations. Greenway won't be cheap, but will be well worth it.

Barrett Ruud (Tampa Bay) - This may be something of a luxury, but we should upgrade over Goff if at all possible. Ruud is a genuine tackling machine and has plenty of experience playing anchoring a similar style of defense and will be able to ensure everyone is lined up correctly. Playing behind Canty and Joseph is a big plus. This could see Goff move to SLB and may give Dillard an uphill battle to earn a roster spot. The addition of Ruud and Greenway turns what is the weakest spot on the roster into a team strength.

Trades
Clint Sintim - It is looking very much like Sintim is not a good fit for Perry Fewell's scheme.With the arrival of Greenway, the writing is on the wall. Sintim is still a good player and I think ideally suited to playing 3-4 OLB. It makes sense to trade Sintim, particularly to a team in desperate need of OLB help such as Houston or Arizona. Sintim is probably worth a 3rd round pick at this point.

Departures
Keith Bullock - Bulluck won't be back, he wants to play full time and with our three safety package, he won't get that opportunity here.

Gerris Wilkinson - Will get a chance to start elsewhere

Cornerback

With the trend of passing offenses this year, we need three genuine starting calibre corners. I think we need to bring in a good value CB. Either we go with an experienced veteran like Champ Bailey or a good younger player like Richard Marshall.

Arrivals
Richard Marshall (Carolina) - a physical corner with good speed, Marshall will add genuine competition for Thomas and Webster.

Safety

Safety is a key position in Fewell's schemes, we have good starters, but we badly need depth.
But with two starters well entrenched and Deion Grant likely wanting (and getting) more money and the ability to start elsewhere, it makes sense to save a little money here, particularly if the savings can be reinvested in other positions of greater need such as LB. It could well be that Reese chooses to go with a more cost effective option in George Wilson.

Resign
Michael Johnson - While not exceptional, Johnson does give us a solid safety and special teamer for our safety depth.

Arrivals
George Wilson (Buffalo) - an under-rated safety, Wilson can play either spot. He had a career year in 2009 under Fewell and will know the system well. Wilson will be a good value pick up.

Punter

We will bring in a punter to compete with Dodge

Arrivals
Adam Podlesh (Jaguars) - A quality Punter to help our field position game.

Draft

1. DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State (6-1, 311, 4.95)
With Cofield's likely departure we need to reinforce the trenches. Paea is incredibly strong and very quick. Paea and Joseph give us a formidable trio with Canty.

2. OLB Dontay Moch, Nevada (6-1, 245, 4.25)
Moch will need time to learn OLB (quite possibly WLB), but he has all the physical tools and the Giants rookies tend to sit for a year anyways. At the very least Moch will be a big upgrade on special teams right off the bat.

3a. OT Demarcus Love, Arkansas (6-5, 315, 5.18)
Love is a good physical tackle to develop for the future. With McKenzie off contract, Andrews' back and Diehl moving inside more depth is needed.

3b. TE Luke Stocker, Tennessee (6-6, 253, 4.80)
Stocker is the all-round TE we ideally need. If we sign Miller, Stocker becomes an excellent #2, and give us very good options for our 2 TE sets.

4. FB Owen Marecic, Stanford (6-1, 244, 4.75)
The Giants need to get more physical in the ground game. Marecic is a great start. He also really helps special teams.

6. RB Stanley Havili, USC (6-1, 225, 4.70)
A college FB, Havili is likely to move to RB in the pros. He is a good all-round RB and physical runner despite not being a consistent threat to take it all the way.

7. CB Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson (5-10, 193, 4.50)
The Giants want to upgrade CB depth and special teams play.

Potential Roster

QB - Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfels

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw, Leon Washington, Stanley Havili

FB - Owen Marecic

WR - Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon, Devin Thomas / Derek Hagan / Victor Cruz

TE - Zach Miller, Luke Stocker, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe

T - Kareem McKenzie, Will Beatty, Shawn Andrews, Demarcus Love

G - Chris Snee, David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Mitch Petrus

C - Shaun O'Hara, Adam Koets

DE - Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Matthias Kiwanuka / Dave Tollefson

DT - Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Stephen Paea, Rocky Bernard

SLB - Chad Greenway, Chase Blackburn / Adrian Tracy

MLB - Barrett Ruud, Jon Goff

WLB - Michael Boley, Donte Moch / Phillip Dillard

CB - Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Richard Marshall, Aaron Ross, Marcus Gilchrist / Bruce Johnson

S - Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, George Wilson, Michael Johnson / Chad Jones

K - Lawrence Tynes

P - Adam Podlesh / Matt Dodge

LS - Zak DeOssie
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

2010-2011 NYG Offseason Ideas (21 Feb) Empty Re: 2010-2011 NYG Offseason Ideas (21 Feb)

Post  Pizan Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:09 am

I don't like what you did with the RB position 2 injury prone players and a converted FB. . . I'll pass on that. Releasing Jacobs is a mistake. He is too much of a unique player we could probably squeeze a draft pick based on performance outta him much like we did with Shockey.

You can pretty much forget about Miller. The Raiders are making it known that he isn't going anywhere. I like Stocker.

Picking up the option on Shawn Andrews is smart I think.

If Kiwi passes all the test he wont be here on a 1 year deal. He'll sign for more elsewhere. In that case I think it would be smart to keep Sintim and move him to DE before we trade him. Tollefson is our best specials player and an instant spark he should be back. Maybe bring in a vet with decent upside.

Losing Cofield for nothing hurts but if thats the case i like the pick of Paea although he has short arms and a shoulder injury that should make him available in the second round.

If we can somehow pull off that Greenway and Ruud i'd blow a nut. I doubt it though. Minnesota would be going backwards if they let Greenway walk. Ruud on the other hand is a very likely option for us. I LOL'd hard with that Wilkinson comment. He couldn't start here and we had one of the worst groups of starters in the league (as evidence of being our biggest position of need) and somehow he'll compete to start elsewhere? lol. Good luck to that team.

Our top 3 corners are fine no need to dump all that money in our 4th. Just draft a guy at some point in the draft.

Michael Johnson should be a goner. He offers nothing on specials and is a liability in the pass and against the run. I like the other 3 though I would still prefer Grant over Wilson.

The draft wasn't bad. I don't like Paea or Moch that early, Paea for the reasons above and Moch reminds me of Thomas Howard. I don't like taking a OT that early either I think we have a bigger need at C. I like Stocker and Marecic.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

2010-2011 NYG Offseason Ideas (21 Feb) Empty Re: 2010-2011 NYG Offseason Ideas (21 Feb)

Post  Pizan Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Greenway just received the franchise tag.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Pizan wrote:Greenway just received the franchise tag.

That's not good, but probably not surprising.

I guess plan B would be Rocky McIntosh at SLB
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Bummer on Greenway. There's other good ones but he's the one I really wanted to come here.
How about Poz up in Buffalo anyone?
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Big_Pete wrote:
Pizan wrote:Greenway just received the franchise tag.

That's not good, but probably not surprising.

I guess plan B would be Rocky McIntosh at SLB

Good backup plan and much more realistic.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:12 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:Bummer on Greenway. There's other good ones but he's the one I really wanted to come here.
How about Poz up in Buffalo anyone?

I'm for it. One of the few Penn State players I actually liked. He knows the system and plays well in it. Will Buffalo let him walk thats the question. I don't think so, because if I'm them I know I wouldn't.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Poz would be a very good fit, but I don't see it happening.

Having said that he is off contract, so there is a chance.

If he were to leave Buffalo, it would very likely be to NYG with his familiarity and affinity for Fewell's system.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:27 am

I was originally thinking of this as a mock draft, but I erred on the cautious side, but this is probably more realistic value.

1. OT Nate Solder, Colorado (6-9, 315, 4.92)
This is primarily a value pick. Solder may take a little time to develop, but he is one of the two genuine LT prospects in the draft. Solder is a huge man with exceptional athleticism and already is a very good pass blocker. As far as need goes, We want Diehl to slide inside to G and Andrews has ongoing back issues, plus McKenzie is coming off contract after the season. We had a lot of problems, particularly against quicker pass rushers, Solder fixes this long term and with Beatty gives us a pair of tackles to anchor our offensive line.

2. DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State (6-1, 311, 4.95)
With Cofield's likely departure we need to reinforce the trenches. Paea is incredibly strong and very quick. Paea and Joseph give us a formidable trio with Canty.

3a. OLB Dontay Moch, Nevada (6-1, 245, 4.25)
Moch will need time to learn OLB (quite possibly WLB), but he has all the physical tools and the Giants rookies tend to sit for a year anyways. At the very least Moch will be a big upgrade on special teams right off the bat.

3b. TE Luke Stocker, Tennessee (6-6, 253, 4.80)
Stocker is the all-round TE we ideally need. If we sign Miller, Stocker becomes an excellent #2, and give us very good options for our 2 TE sets.

4. FB Owen Marecic, Stanford (6-1, 244, 4.75)
The Giants need to get more physical in the ground game. Marecic is a great start. He also really helps special teams.

6. RB Stanley Havili, USC (6-1, 225, 4.70)
A college FB, Havili is likely to move to RB in the pros. He is a good all-round RB and physical runner despite not being a consistent threat to take it all the way.

7. CB Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson (5-10, 193, 4.50)
The Giants want to upgrade CB depth and special teams play.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:57 am

If you pick up the option on Andrews I don't see the need to draft a OT in the first. Fans have been wanting to move Diehl for years now while he continues to prove to be a capable starting LT. Again we let up the fewest sacks in the league last year.

Moch would fall in line of what the Giants like, converting DEs to play LB. Moch didn't look comfortable at all at LB in the East-West Shrine game. He has good upside but in the 3-4 defense not a fit in the 4-3.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:17 am

Pizan wrote:If you pick up the option on Andrews I don't see the need to draft a OT in the first. Fans have been wanting to move Diehl for years now while he continues to prove to be a capable starting LT. Again we let up the fewest sacks in the league last year.

Moch would fall in line of what the Giants like, converting DEs to play LB. Moch didn't look comfortable at all at LB in the East-West Shrine game. He has good upside but in the 3-4 defense not a fit in the 4-3.

I am not sold on Andrews back being reliable for an entire season, don't get me wrong I do like Andrews.

I think the front office wants to move Diehl inside as well.

I do think it is time to groom an OT. But hey, we just see things differently thats all.

Seriously the Giants have few genuine needs and could go in a wide range of directions (which is good for maximising value)

As long as LB is upgraded I will be a happy camper.

But considering our recent track record drafting LBs (Sintim (2nd), Kehl (4th), Dillard (4th), Wilkinson(3rd)), we shouldn't rely on the draft to upgrade the LB corps, particularly with a weak draft class.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I have done a little more analysis on where I think players will likely go in the draft.

I would make 1 change from my draft projection at the moment, CB Ras-I Dowling instead of OLB Dontay Moch.

I still very much like Moch, but I think Dowling is slighly better value and the kind of CB we prefer. If we added two free agents, LB is also not as major a need.

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 pm

It is interesting that the Panthers tagged Kalil and not DeAngelo Williams. It may be a bit of a long shot but I would try and see if we could team him up with Bradshaw or Jacobs. Smile
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Pizan wrote:
You can pretty much forget about Miller. The Raiders are making it known that he isn't going anywhere. I like Stocker.

It looks like Zach Miller could become available

The Raiders have shelled out a ton of cash so far (2011 cap numbers)

Richard Seymour - $15mil (two-year $30mil)

Kamerion Wimbley - $12.9mil (franchise tag)

Stanford Routt - around $10mil (three-year, $31.5 million contract. The deal contains $20 million in the first two years.)

thats $38mil invested in three players. It will be hard to find big money for Miller.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down