TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Conservative 2011 Giant plan

2 posters

Go down

Conservative 2011 Giant plan Empty Conservative 2011 Giant plan

Post  Big_Pete Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:10 pm

I have had a re-think on my offseason ideas. I need to remember that Reese and the Giants don't usually have a flashy offseason with big name signings and we like to build through the draft. So this is the kind of thing I could see happening.

Resign
  • Steve Smith - Keep Manning's go to guy.
  • Domenik Hixon - a reliable receiver and quality return guy.
  • Kevin Boss - A solid TE who won't break the bank.
  • Ahmad Bradshaw - Coughlin really likes this little guy and if his fumbling is in the past, is excellent value.

Cuts
  • Madison Hedgecock
  • Shaun O'Hara*
  • Rocky Bernard*

(* possibly after training camp)

Free Agency Departures
  • Barry Cofield
  • Matthias Kiwanuka
  • Dave Tollefson*
  • Keith Bullock
  • Chase Blackburn*
  • Gerris Wilkinson
  • Deion Grant
  • Michael Johnson

*expected to make training camp.

Reese wants to upgrade the defensive back seven as the priority. I think adding more speed at the back-end and retooling the LBs is a big part.

Free Agency Signings

Going by recent history, we will only make one major FA signing while bolstering other positions

• Sign Barrett Ruud -The major signing this year, Ruud is a tackling machine and will get our guys lined up right and provide valuable leadership.
  • Sign Vonta Leach - The bulldozing FB to get our physical running game back on track.
  • Sign George Wilson - A solid safety with experience in Fewell's system
  • Sign Richard Marshall - A decent, physical CB who upgrades the speed at Corner.

Free Agency Notes

We could be in line for compensation draft picks (either this year or next) based on the free agency moves.
(Losing Cofield, Grant, Bulluck and Kiwanuka; gaining Ruud, Marshall)

Trades

Trade WR Mario Manningham to Carolina for LB Dan Connor. Both are entering the last year of their rookie deals and Carolina need WR as badly as we need LB help.

Trade LB Clint Sintim to Arizona for RFA RB Tim Hightower and swap 3rd round picks (#69 for #83). Not suited to our system, he will get interest from 3-4 teams . This fills a need for NYG and a critical need for the Cardinals.

Trade Brandon Jacobs to Cincinnati for their fourth round pick (#100). Jacobs attitude is a concern, but the real problem is his $6.8m cap number and declining production. Jacobs will get interest elsewhere and be decent value with a 2 year $9.5m deal with no risk. Due to age and contract he won't get a premium pick, but he still has value.

Positional Moves

Move Terrell Thomas to FS. Thomas has been ok at CB, but he has been caught out by speed/quickness. Thomas will play the center-field FS and allow Phillips and Rolle to play closer to the action. Like Grant last year, Thomas will get a lot of snaps.

Move Chris Snee to C. We need to upgrade center, but also it is a case of getting our all of our best linemen to play; Shawn Andrews slots in to his former probowl position. A physical center is a big plus against 3-4 teams. Seubert provides valuable depth and versatility and could start if Diehl is needed at LT.

Draft
Giants trade #19 to NE for #28, #60

28. OT Nate Solder, Colorado (6-8, 319, 4.95) - One of the top OTs will be available here. OT may not be an urgent need, but we do need to groom a tackle for the future.

52. DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State (6-1, 311, 4.95) - With Cofield gone, we need to bolster the trenches Paea is very quick and very strong.

60. CB Ras-I Dowling, Virginia (6-2, 200, 4.50) - A good, big, physical CB prospect which the Giants prefer.

69. LB Mark Herzlich, Boston College (6-4, 238, 4.65) - A stud LB with everything you look for. Not quite the player he used to be yet, but excellent value here.

100. RB Taiwan Jones, Eastern Washington (6-1, 200, 4.50) - Reese doesn't like taking RBs early and likes small school guys. This guy has been super productive in his small school college (in two seasons 2,955 yds, 7.7 ave, 29 TD rushing along with 69 rec, 903 yds, 7 TD receiving).

102. DE Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh (6-6, 270, 4.85) - A talented pass rusher at a bargain price. Was rated one of the top DEs before injury in his senior year. Excellent value here.

116. DT Sione Fua, Stanford (6-2, 306, 5.25) - Fua is a good DT to develop for the future. This pick up means the imminent departure of Rocky Bernard.

180. LB Ross Holman, Ohio State (6-0, 227, 4.70) -An undersized and under rated WLB

210. S Eric Hagg, Nebraska (6-2, 210, 4.55) - more safety depth

Potential Roster

• QB - Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfels
  • RB - Ahmad Bradshaw, Tim Hightower, Taiwan Jones
  • FB - Vonta Leach
  • WR - Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon, Victor Cruz, Derek Hagan
  • TE - Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe
  • OT - Kareem McKenzie, Will Beatty, Nate Solder, Jamon Meredith
  • OG - Shawn Andrews, David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Mitch Petrus
  • OC - Chris Snee, Adam Koets

• DE - Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Greg Romeus
  • DT - Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Stephen Paea, Sione Fua
  • LB - Barrett Ruud, Michael Boley, Dan Connor, Jon Goff, Mark Herzlich, Phillip Dillard, Ross Holman
  • CB - Corey Webster, Richard Marshall, Aaron Ross, Ras-I Dowling, Bruce Johnson
  • S - Antrell Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Terrell Thomas, George Wilson, Eric Hagg

• LS - Zak DeOssie
  • K - Lawrence Tynes
  • P - Matt Dodge

Last edited by Big_Pete on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:04 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : formatting)
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Conservative 2011 Giant plan Empty Re: Conservative 2011 Giant plan

Post  Big_Pete Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:21 pm

This is just my current thinking, we all know the Giants tend to be a little more conservative than other teams.

So this is the general kind of thing I would expect to see. I am happy to disagree with people.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:12 am

I would like to see the Giants try to upgrade TE and sign Zach Miller over Boss, at this stage that's still an option.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Not bad overall. I dont like the position changes for Snee and Thomas at all. I rather keep Jacobs than Bradshaw. I don't like drafting a OT in the 1st. MARK HERZLICH! I can live with those FA signings minus Marshall but I see why you signed him after moving Thomas to safety.

I cant justify signing Zach Miller to a big contract, not in this offense. I rather resign Boss or sign a FA like Owen Daniels or draft somebody.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 pm

with trading back depending on how you see the Oline needs you could pick up Stefan Wisniewski instead of an OT (I think he has firmed as a legit late first rounder).

To be honest I am a bit each way about whether we need an OT or C. It depends on how well things shape up. Ideally we need both.

I am open to a RB like Ryan Williams or even Mark Ingram in the first, I just think other positions will get higher priority.

as far as Miller goes, it depends on how much more than Boss he would cost. Presumably Boss would cost somewhere around 3 to 3.5 mil per year. If Miller was available for around 5ish, then that is reasonable in my opinion. A better blocking TE will be a big help to our OTs,

you could be right on Marshall/Thomas in which case we would need another quality safety. Regardless with the ridiculous contract the Raiders gave Routt, the CB value is going to soar, so it is unlikely Marshall will be a cost effective move.

As far as safety options, resigning Grant may be the best option, but we could also look at guys like Dwan Landry, Donte Whitner or Roman Harper.

The combine numbers will help clear things up a little on where players value is.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down