TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates
 

AJ Hawk

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AJ Hawk

Post  Big_Pete on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:55 pm

The Packers have released AJ Hawk, he would be an ideal option at SLB for us.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Big_Pete on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:02 pm

because he has been released, he can be signed right away
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Big_Pete on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:28 pm

It isn't going to happen, but I would love to see our starting LB group as

  • SLB Paul Posluszny
  • MLB Barrett Ruud
  • WLB AJ Hawk


I think OLB and ILB are the top two needs on the team.

I also think we need to look at bringing in veterans o upgrade our LB group for four main reasons.

1. We need immediate starters and cannot really afford the time to let a rookie develop.

2. Our track record with drafting and developing LBs through the draft is very ordinary despite a decent investment in draft picks in recent years (2nd Sintim; 3rd Wilkinson; 4th Kehl, DeOssie, Dillard)

3. This year's draft class is thin at LB, getting an immediate quality starter is unlikley

4. This lets the Giants build through the draft with rookies developing behind our starters, which is ideally the way we prefer to bring rookies along.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Pizan on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Hawk would be an awesome addition to either MLB or SLB. I hope Reese got on the phone quickly to try to steal him away from resigning with the Packers.

I was drooling at the possibility of having him last offseason now we have a real good shot this off season. Lets see if Reese can get something done.
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Big_Pete on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Hawk can play any of our spots.

I would love to bring Hawk to NYG

The pack are hoping he resigns there but they do have Desmond Bishop and Nick Barnett
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Bigblue25 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 am

I have to disagree, I don't think Hawk is a good fit for a system. He is not good in coverage and is a bit on the slow side. He is great in space, not so much sideline to sideline. I would want someone that can cover screen passes, someone that can cover Shady McCoy out of the backfield. I do agree with you on Barrett Rudd for MLB, I also wouldn't mind Stephen Tulloch and then Manny Lawson to play SLB. Assuming their is free agency, I think their are better options there or we draft Akeem Ayers, possibly Martez Wilson who is moving up draft boards
avatar
Bigblue25
mascot
mascot


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 am

Hi BigBlue25, nice to see your thoughts Smile

I don't like Wilson or Ayers.

Wilson has straight line speed, but doesn't change direction or play anywhere near as fast.

Ayers is not quick, isn't instinctive and doesn't shed blocks well.

Coming out of college Hawk was very good in coverage and had good speed. I don't think the Packers system suited him. I will admit I prefer Hawk at WLB where he can play in space more.

I don't like the idea of Lawson at SLB, I have had enough of former DEs at SLB and frankly he has more value for a 3-4 team

The LBs I most like in the draft are Herzlick, Holman and McCarthy and I would not pick any before round 3.

two other veterans I like as SLBs are Rocky McIntosh who doesn't suit the Reskins new 3-4 and James Anderson who emerged as the starter at Carolina but with Beason, Connor and Davis is likely the odd man out.

anyways it is good to see a variety of opinions. Good to see some debate on these topics Smile
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Bigblue25 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:24 am

Big_Pete wrote:Hi BigBlue25, nice to see your thoughts Smile

I don't like Wilson or Ayers.

Wilson has straight line speed, but doesn't change direction or play anywhere near as fast.

Ayers is not quick, isn't instinctive and doesn't shed blocks well.

Coming out of college Hawk was very good in coverage and had good speed. I don't think the Packers system suited him. I will admit I prefer Hawk at WLB where he can play in space more.

I don't like the idea of Lawson at SLB, I have had enough of former DEs at SLB and frankly he has more value for a 3-4 team

The LBs I most like in the draft are Herzlick, Holman and McCarthy and I would not pick any before round 3.

two other veterans I like as SLBs are Rocky McIntosh who doesn't suit the Reskins new 3-4 and James Anderson who emerged as the starter at Carolina but with Beason, Connor and Davis is likely the odd man out.

anyways it is good to see a variety of opinions. Good to see some debate on these topics Smile

I also like Colin McCarthy and Rocky McIntosh would be a decent pickup. I think it all be might be moot point but it's fun to discuss, since it looks like we are gonna just resign Kiwi and put him at SLB. Maybe we try JPP there as well. It's just a thought, but I know he stood up at USF and looked good in doing so. I honestly think we could draft another DE in the first round, I know fans would cringe but if Ryan Kerrigan is sitting there it might not be a bad idea.
avatar
Bigblue25
mascot
mascot


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:12 am

Bigblue25 wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:Hi BigBlue25, nice to see your thoughts Smile

I don't like Wilson or Ayers.

Wilson has straight line speed, but doesn't change direction or play anywhere near as fast.

Ayers is not quick, isn't instinctive and doesn't shed blocks well.

Coming out of college Hawk was very good in coverage and had good speed. I don't think the Packers system suited him. I will admit I prefer Hawk at WLB where he can play in space more.

I don't like the idea of Lawson at SLB, I have had enough of former DEs at SLB and frankly he has more value for a 3-4 team

The LBs I most like in the draft are Herzlick, Holman and McCarthy and I would not pick any before round 3.

two other veterans I like as SLBs are Rocky McIntosh who doesn't suit the Reskins new 3-4 and James Anderson who emerged as the starter at Carolina but with Beason, Connor and Davis is likely the odd man out.

anyways it is good to see a variety of opinions. Good to see some debate on these topics Smile

I also like Colin McCarthy and Rocky McIntosh would be a decent pickup. I think it all be might be moot point but it's fun to discuss, since it looks like we are gonna just resign Kiwi and put him at SLB. Maybe we try JPP there as well. It's just a thought, but I know he stood up at USF and looked good in doing so. I honestly think we could draft another DE in the first round, I know fans would cringe but if Ryan Kerrigan is sitting there it might not be a bad idea.

Kiwi isn't going to be a full time SLB, he plays much better with his hand on the ground. I could see him there in passing situations.

We need to add speed and athleticism at LB, using a DE is a stop gap at best.

I could see a DE in the first round, although my pick is Cameron Jordan. If we do get a DE, I think it will be a more physical guy who can play LDE well as well as move inside in passing situations. But unless we have a surprise need, I think we will go with BPA.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 am

I thought I heard last night that the Packers planned on re-signing Hawk to a new 5 year deal. They just didn't want to pay Hawk the 11 million that he was owed this season, so they have to re-sign him in order to do so.
avatar
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Pizan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:26 pm

See now if I'm Hawk (this might be wishful thinking) I would tell them to go scratch. Pay me the 10.6 million that I earned or I ain't coming back. I'd take it as a slap in the face and wouldn't trust them enough to sign a new contract.
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Pizan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:42 pm

From PFT.com

A.J. Hawk’s deal is done
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2011, 4:34 PM EST

In less than 24 hours, Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk was released and re-signed.

News broke regarding Hawk’s new deal around midnight, just as my wife was telling me I have a PFT addiction. The deal become official on Thursday when Hawk put pen to paper.

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel guessed that Hawk will get roughly $6-7 million-per-year, with $10 million guaranteed. A source told him the estimate was “about right.”

It’s hard to imagine Nick Barnett returning with so much money going to Hawk and Desmond Bishop.
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Pizan wrote:From PFT.com

A.J. Hawk’s deal is done
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2011, 4:34 PM EST

In less than 24 hours, Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk was released and re-signed.

News broke regarding Hawk’s new deal around midnight, just as my wife was telling me I have a PFT addiction. The deal become official on Thursday when Hawk put pen to paper.

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel guessed that Hawk will get roughly $6-7 million-per-year, with $10 million guaranteed. A source told him the estimate was “about right.”

It’s hard to imagine Nick Barnett returning with so much money going to Hawk and Desmond Bishop.

Why did they go through all the drama of cutting and resigning him? Couldn't they have just worked out a contract extension?

Barnett is likely on the way out though
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Pizan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:59 pm

My guess The packers didn't want to shell out almost 11 million in bonus money to Hawk and maybe the contract terms were too much to get around on an extension. It was just easier to release him and resign him to a new contract. I'd assume they still have to pay him for the remainder of his last contract though. Thats the only way I could see Hawk wanting to resign.
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AJ Hawk

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum