TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

27 April NYG offseason thinking

Go down

27 April NYG offseason thinking Empty 27 April NYG offseason thinking

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Here is my latest thinking on a potential off-season

This is a very different year with the draft before free agency.

Here is my draft thinking:

Draft

19. OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
Castonzo is a good fit at OT and can play either side. With both starting tackles over 30 and McKenzie entering his contract year.

52. C Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State
We need to ideally groom a Center as O'Hara's eventual replacement and Wisniewski is an excellent fit.

74. LB Dontay Moch, Nevada
I think we need to find LBs who are good fits in a Tampa 2 style of system, considering that is what we pretty much run. In particular we need more speed, athleticism and coverage skills which we don't have.

Traditionally prefered the physical thumper/pass rusher at SLB (eg Emmons, Torbor, Kiwanuka, Sintim, Tracy) which isn't ideal with the prevalence of passing offenses these days or a great fit for Fewell's Tampa 2 style schemes.

I think Dontay Moch is the kind of guy who can give us a bit of both. He does have the speed, athleticism and coverage skills to become a good Tampa 2 style LB. He also has the pass rushing skills to attach the line of scrimmage and get to the QB from the edge. Sure he will take time to develop, but his skill set is uniquely a great fit for NYG.

117. CB Curtis Marsh, Utah State
A very good small school CB who upgrades our CB depth.

185. .DT Chris Neild, West Virginia
A very solid, under rated DT prospect, Neild improves our DT depth and gives insurance should Cofield leave.

198. CB Richard Sherman, Stanford
Sherman is a talented developmental CB (a former WR) with good physical tools and instincts, he upgrades our CB depth.

202. SS/ST Brian Rolle, Ohio State
Rolle is a college LB that is likely going to have to move to SS in the pros. He is a stud special teamer and that will earn a roster spot.

222. RB Da'Rel Scott, Maryland
A RB with excellent speed, decent production and has some experience returning kicks. Scott complements Jacobs and Bradshaw well.

UDFA. S Mark LeGree, Appalachian State
A productive small school safety with excellent balls skills (21 PBU, 22 Int in his last 3 seasons (39 GP)) and good physical tools to upgrade our safety depth and replace Michael Johnson.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

27 April NYG offseason thinking Empty Re: 27 April NYG offseason thinking

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:45 pm

So heading into free agency, our potential roster would look shape up like:

QB (2): Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfels/ Jim Sorgi*/ Ryan Perriloux*

RB (3): Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw*, DJ Ware/ Da'Rel Scott

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

WR (6): Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith*, Mario Manningham, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon*/ Darius Reynaud, Devin Thomas/ Derek Hagan*/ Victor Cruz, Duke Calhoun

TE (3): Kevin Boss*, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe

OT (4): Kareem McKenzie, Will Beatty, Anthony Castonzo, Shawn Andrews*/ Jamon Meredith

G (4): Chris Snee, David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Mitch Petrus/ Kevin Boothe*

C (3): Shaun O'Hara, Stefen Wisniewski, Adam Koets

DE (4): Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Matthias Kiwanuka*/ Dave Tollefson

DT (4): Barry Cofield*, Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Chris Neild/ Rocky Bernard

SLB (2): Keith Bulluck*, Clint Sintim

MLB (2): Jon Goff, Gerris Wilkinson*/ Chase Blackburn*/ Phillip Dillard

WLB (2): Michael Boley, Dontay Moch

CB (5): Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Curtis Marsh, Richard Sherman/ Bruce Johnson

S (5): Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant*, Brian Rolle/ Michael Johnson*, Michael LeGree/ Michael Coe

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Matt Dodge

LS (1): Zak DeOssie
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 pm

I still expect there will be a new CBA at some point, I think both parties will have too much to lose.

This is the kind of think I would expect

Players not resigned

• Shawn Andrews
  • Ahmad Bradshaw
  • Barry Cofield
  • Matthias Kiwanuka
  • Keith Bulluck
  • Gerris Wilkerson
  • Chase Blackburn
  • Michael Johnson

Current Players Resigned

Steve Smith
Eli's go to guy is a priority to resign.

Kevin Boss
Boss is a solid TE and will be resigned for a reasonable price.

Dave Tollefson
With Kiwanuka likely playing elsewhere, Tollefson is a cheap experienced depth and special teams.

Deon Grant
Grant is a good all round safety, I think Reese builds on the safety group from last year. Fewell will likely continue to use a lot of three safety sets, but Grant could also push Phillips for the starting job.

Hixon, Hagan and Boothe will likely be resigned cheaply and each will legitimately compete for a roster spot.

Players signed from other teams

RB DeAngelo Williams (Carolina)
With the draft before free agency, the RB will be valued lower than usual. Bradshaw is still an option (and I think the Gmen would be ok with Bradshaw), but I think the Giants will try and upgrade if possible (Bradshaw's ball security is an issue), particularly as I don't believe they are completely sold on Jacobs being the starter (which seems to be the situation based on the last couple of seasons). Williams isn't happy with Carolina and is looking for new pastures, NYG would be an ideal fit. Williams and Jacobs would be a very formidable RB tandem.

MLB Barrett Ruud (Tampa Bay)
Ruud is an ideal fit to anchor the middle of our defense. Ruud has plenty of experience in a Tampa 2.

SLB Rocky McIntosh (Washington)
A former 4-3 WLB who wasn't a great fit inside Washington's 3-4. McIntosh is a good fit at SLB in Fewell's Tampa 2. There are quite a few other options here.

I think Reese is primarily going to upgrade LB with veterans. NYG has a poor record of developing quality LBs in the draft.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 7 times in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Our roster heading into the season would shape up like

So heading into free agency, our potential roster would look shape up like:

QB (2): Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfels

RB (3): DeAngelo Williams, Brandon Jacobs, DJ Ware/ Da'Rel Scott

FB (1): Madison Hedgecock

WR (6): Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, Ramsees Barden, Domenik Hixon/ Darius Reynaud, Devin Thomas/ Derek Hagan/ Victor Cruz, Duke Calhoun

TE (3): Kevin Boss, Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe

OT (4): Kareem McKenzie, Will Beatty, Anthony Castonzo, Jamon Meredith

G (4): Chris Snee, David Diehl, Rich Seubert, Mitch Petrus/ Kevin Boothe

C (3): Shaun O'Hara, Stefen Wisniewski, Adam Koets

DE (4): Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson

DT (4): Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Chris Neild, Rocky Bernard

SLB (2): Rocky McIntosh, Clint Sintim

MLB (2): Barrett Ruud, Jon Goff/ Phillip Dillard

WLB (2): Michael Boley, Dontay Moch

CB (5): Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Curtis Marsh, Richard Sherman/ Bruce Johnson

S (5): Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Deon Grant, Brian Rolle, Michael LeGree/ Michael Coe

K (1): Lawrence Tynes

P (1): Matt Dodge

LS (1): Zak DeOssie
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down