TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Hakeem Nicks on Marvin Austin

Go down

Hakeem Nicks on Marvin Austin Empty Hakeem Nicks on Marvin Austin

Post  Big_Pete Thu May 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Giants' Hakeem Nicks says draftee Marvin Austin is a 'great kid'
Published: Thursday, May 05, 2011, 2:00 PM Updated: Thursday, May 05, 2011, 7:37 PM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Jerry Reese said the Giants consulted Hakeem Nicks before they selected North Carolina defensive tackle Marvin Austin in the second round of last week’s NFL Draft.

So did Nicks talk the team into drafting Austin?
Giants' Hakeem Nicks on Hoboken practice Giants' Hakeem Nicks on Hoboken practice Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks addresses the media after Thursday's passing workout at Hoboken High School. (Video by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger) Watch video

“Uhhh, maybe,” Nicks said with a laugh today after completing a passing workout at Hoboken High School. “But no, I think it’s a good fit for them. I’m sure he’s going to fit right in and I know he’s going to be ready to work. … They made a decision and I feel like it’s a good addition to us.”

Austin was mentioned as having many red flags for teams because of multiple suspensions, a misdemeanor noise ordinance violation, a driving without registration citation and a citation for improper window tinting. But in the grand scheme of things, those violations don’t even compare to some of the issues other players have had. It was more the volume of incidents, plus a season away from the game because of last year’s suspensions, that caused a player with first-round talent to drop to the second day of the draft.

Nicks believes Austin won’t be an issue for the Giants.

“He’s a great kid,” Nicks said. “He works hard, he loves the game of football. I know he’s going to come to work hard. … He’s definitely not (a bad person). He’s a guy that just goes after it on the football field. He loves the game. He likes playing it.”

And he has the motivation to prove people wrong.

“Oh yeah, he definitely has that,” Nicks said. “I’ve talked to him. He’s ready to get after it.”
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down