TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Similar topics
Training Camp Updates

Osi - Giants lied to me

2 posters

Go down

Osi - Giants lied to me Empty Osi - Giants lied to me

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Osi Umenyiora says promises broken

By Adam Schefter
ESPN

Osi Wants Out Of New York
Adam Schefter on Osi Umenyiora's reason for wanting to leave the GiantsTags: Jerry Reese, Giants GM, Adam Schefter, SportsCenter
Osi Wants Out Of New York

In a sworn affadavit to be filed in federal court in Minnesota next month as part of the players' antitrust lawsuit against the NFL, New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora spells out why he has wanted out of New York.

Osi Umenyiora Affidavit

Umenyiora "In early April 2008, approximately two weeks before the start of the New York Giants offseason conditioning program, I, Osi Umenyiora, had a meeting with the general manager of the New York Giants, Mr. Jerry Reese.

"After about an hour of discussing my current contract, as well as the contracts of other defensive ends currently playing in the National Football League, Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we'd either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing or I would be traded to a team that would do that.

"Before leaving the meeting, I asked Mr. Reese twice if he was absolutely sure that would be the case. He then told me that he was an honest and church-going man and that he would not lie, which I believed to be the case. Under the penalty of perjury these statements are true and accurate."

Umenyiora states Giants general manager Jerry Reese did not follow through on promises to renegotiate his contract, which the Pro Bowl defensive end still has not forgotten and could contribute to his departure before the 2011 season, whenever it begins.

"In early April 2008, approximately two weeks before the start of the New York Giants offseason conditioning program, I, Osi Umenyiora, had a meeting with the general manager of the New York Giants, Mr. Jerry Reese," Umenyiora testified this past April.

"After about an hour of discussing my current contract, as well as the contracts of other defensive ends currently playing in the National Football League, Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we'd either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing or I would be traded to a team that would do that.

"Before leaving the meeting, I asked Mr. Reese twice if he was absolutely sure that would be the case. He then told me that he was an honest and church-going man and that he would not lie, which I believed to be the case. Under the penalty of perjury these statements are true and accurate."

The NFL Players Association feels Umenyiora has suffered irreparable harm, which is one of the main reasons it sought out Umenyiora as one of the plaintiffs in the Brady vs. NFL antitrust case, which the former union filed shortly after decertifying. The NFLPA plans to file the sworn affidavits of select plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

The Giants declined comment due to the ongoing litigation.

Whenever the lockout is lifted, the Giants will face a critical decision on Umenyiora, who has two years left on a contract that is scheduled to pay him about $3.5 million this season.

For now, it appears as if the 29-year-old Umenyiora has made up his mind. He recently moved out of his New Jersey home with plans to take up full-time residence in Atlanta, where he has spent much of his time over the past six years.

Now that Mt. Umenyiora has erupted, ESPNNewYork.com's Ohm Youngmisuk wonders where Jerry Reese & Co. will go from here? Story

NFL players face uncertain contract situations, but not getting promises in writing is Osi Umenyiora's first problem, ESPN.com's Dan Graziano writes. Blog

This offseason, Umenyiora underwent surgery to have a piece of bone removed from his hip, an injury that bothered him throughout last season, when it felt as if he was being jabbed on each play. Umenyiora is said to feel fully recovered and ready for football.

He repeatedly has sought a contract extension or a trade to a team willing to give him one. Umenyiora certainly no longer sounds confident it will come from the Giants, who used their top pick last year on defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

In 2008, Umenyiora suffered a season-ending left knee injury in the preseason. In 2009, Umenyiora started 16 games, registered 7 sacks, four forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries. Last season, he started all 16 games and had 11.5 sacks and 10 forced fumbles. Umenyiora's last contract extension came in December 2005, when he signed a six-year, $41 million contract.

While Umenyiora believes he belongs among the NFL's top-paid defensive ends, not all NFL players share his opinion. On his Twitter account, Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy wrote: "Overrated n soft 3rd best d-line on his team honestly" as he retweeted this story to his followers on the social media network.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Osi - Giants lied to me Empty Re: Osi - Giants lied to me

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Osi Umenyiora's contract situation a delicate one for Giants

Published: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 4:15 PM Updated: Thursday, June 16, 2011, 5:18 PM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

An unhappy Osi Umenyiora means the Giants have an issue that threatens the depth and security of the most important position on their defense.

This Osi Umenyiora situation seems to be a tough one for people to grasp. In the past few hours since ESPN reported the contents of the defensive end's affidavit I've received questions about the gray area of the two-year timeline, whether Umenyiora played at a "high level" for two seasons and whether he was ever content with his contract and the answers he received from the team.

Truth is, it's a complex issue that's been churning for years out front and behind the scenes. But more importantly, the potential ramifications of this situation are even more complex and could ripple for years to come as well.

That's why I want to take a few minutes here to analyze why Umenyiora's situation could be a crucial one for the Giants moving forward. They need to handle this one carefully for the following reasons:

1. The uncertainty of Mathias Kiwanuka's situation.

Assuming there's a new CBA sometime soon, and that there will be a period for teams to re-sign their own free agents, the Giants might be forced to take a leap of faith on Kiwanuka because of Umenyiora.

What I mean is Kiwanuka might believe he has a shot to make some decent money on the free market, provided all the exams on his neck show he's healthy. The Giants, meanwhile, have indicated they'll need to do their due diligence before figuring out what kind of contract they want to put on the table for Kiwanuka. "Do we offer him a one year deal so that he can re-establish his value or do we go in a different direction?" Jerry Reese said at his final press conference of last season.

Now, let's say the Giants try to protect themselves with a modest offer and Kiwanuka believes a team out there would be willing to give him more guaranteed money. (Or that as long as he's a Giant he'll be stuck playing at least a bit of linebacker, which is something he's accepted very reluctantly.) He might opt to test free agency, meaning the Giants could lose him and then learn Umenyiora is holding out or demanding a trade. So in a sense, you have two of your defensive ends in uncertain situations right now. Suddenly, the strongest part of the roster has the potential to grow weaker by 50 percent.

2. Justin Tuck's happiness.

Okay, so what if the Giants give in to Umenyiora and redo his deal? Or maybe they worry about the scenario I listed above and they pay Kiwanuka more than what they had wanted to give him. That would mean their defensive captain and best all-around end would be either making a lot less than Umenyiora or less than both Umenyiora and Kiwanuka. That wouldn't make him happy, especially since Jason Pierre-Paul is in his tax bracket and he just arrived on the scene.

Yes, I know Tuck has been the ultimate team guy since he arrived in 2005. And no, I don't think he would ever take the route Umenyiora or, say, Michael Strahan took to get a new deal. But my sense is he knows the Giants got themselves a pretty good bargain by signing him a year before he would have been a free agent. Tuck got $30 million total over five years six months after Dwight Freeney got that much guaranteed in a six-year, $72-million contract. I'm not saying Tuck was/is Freeney then/now; but I'm saying, based on Freeney's deal and the new market for pass rushers it helped set, Tuck is underpaid.

Don't misconstrue: I'm not shilling for Tuck here. All I'm saying is if Umenyiora gets a raise, guess who would be next to knock on Reese's door long before his deal expires after the 2013 season.

3. The perceived path out of East Rutherford

This is a point I raised in print and in conversations with folks after Jeremy Shockey pouted his way into a trade three years ago: did he create a blueprint for players who want out? What I mean is he was so big of a distraction the Giants finally said enough and just dealt him to the Saints to avoid the headache.

The Giants never addressed that one on the record, but my sense is they felt that situation was unique because they had won a Super Bowl without the guy and he was so far beyond being reeled back in to reality. But that being said, they had to know somebody might take the Shockey route in the future to get his way.

Perhaps that somebody will be Umenyiora, who has already been outspoken about his situation by threatening (albeit a loose threat) to retire if he wasn't a starter last season. By putting the Reese promise on record in his affidavit, he's shown he's not afraid to take the contract squabble public, either. This could be the beginning of a big-time showdown between a very unhappy player and a franchise looking to prove it won't always allow players to throw tantrums just to get their way.

4. Umenyiora's health

From the sound of things, the surgery on Umenyiora's hip this offseason was supposed to quiet down the troubled area, which flared up right around this time last year. Did it? The Giants can't truly know for sure until they see Umenyiora in action. So if they choose to try getting him to back off any contract or trade demands, they're doing so with the hope he remains healthy enough to continue being a dangerous pass rusher.

5. The importance of pass rushers to their defense.

Finally, a catch-all issue here. We know what makes the Giants' defense work. We've seen what happens when the pass rush is on, and we've seen what happens when it's off. The Giants put a ton of value into their pass rushers. You can never have enough of them, remember?

That being said, they absolutely have to make sure Umenyiora's unhappiness doesn't upset the apple cart at the position. They must have a few contingency plans. And while the leaking of the affidavit might have opened a few eyes outside of the organization, trust me when I tell you this franchise knew this was coming. They surely have a few plans already in place. But for the their sake and the sake of the defense, they'd better be the correct plans.

Just very quickly, I mentioned above the questions I received about the two-year time frame Umenyiora claims Reese threw out there. Obviously, Umenyiora was eying last spring when Reese (allegedly) made the comment. But when he got hurt and missed all of the 2008 season, that threw off the plan, assuming Reese actually intended to stick to it and wasn't simply placating Umenyiora. (Again, allegedly.)

Still, it sounded like Umenyiora was planning to state his case last offseason - until his rocky '09 season resulted in a demotion late in the year. Basically, the rug had been pulled out from under him before he got to the negotiating table, which is why he decided to pipe down and try to reestablish his value by returning to form last season. In case you forgot or missed it, his "Eff it mentality" quotes from last training camp are making much more sense now, huh?

Point being, this is probably time when Umenyiora's leverage is at its peak, so he's going on the offensive. Will it pay off? We'll see. As I outlined above, this is a delicate situation for the Giants, and they surely know that.

This could be a long, ugly process before we reach a resolution.

Of course, it'll have to wait for the resolution to the long, ugly process currently standing in everyone's way.

Stay tuned.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Osi Umenyiora claims New York Giants, GM Jerry Reese lied about new deal, DE says in sworn affidavit

BY Ralph Vacchiano
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 1:36 PM

Osi Umenyiora claims that Giants general manager Jerry Reese promised two years ago that he would renegotiate his contract and give him a huge raise, or trade him to a team that would - a promise that Reese and the team never honored.

The oft-unhappy Umenyiora made that explosive claim in a sworn affidavit taken by lawyers for the decertified NFL players association as part of Brady v. NFL - the players' antitrust lawsuit against the league. He claims that after Reese made the promise in April, 2008, the GM insisted "that he would not lie." Umenyiora also says Reese was asked about the promise twice.

"After about an hour of discussing my current contract, as well as the contracts of other defensive ends currently playing in the National Football League, Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we'd either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing," Umenyiora said in the affidavit, which was first reported by ESPN and confirmed by the Daily News, "or I would be traded to a team that would do that.

"Before leaving the meeting, I asked Mr. Reese twice if he was absolutely sure that would be the case. He then told me that he was an honest and church-going man and that he would not lie, which I believed to be the case."

A source familiar with Umenyiora's statement said the NFLPA will file the affidavit, along with sworn statements from some of the other plaintiffs, with the U.S. District Court by July 18.

The Giants did not have any immediate comment on Umenyiora's claims. Umenyiora's agent, Tony Agnone, couldn't immediately be reached.

That broken promise, according to a source, is one of the reasons Umenyiora was added as one of the named plaintiffs in the case because "It's an obvious example of what's wrong with the non-guaranteed contracts in the NFL." Also, as the Daily News reported in March, he was also included because of the bonus-heavy structure of the six-year, $41 million contract he signed with the Giants in 2005. That contract is detailed in the "irreparable injuries" section of the 52-page suit the players filed in U.S. District Court in March.

Umenyiora is due $1.5 million in "various bonuses" over the next two years, according to the document, including $31,250 for every game he's on the active, 53-man roster. He's an example of how the NFL is "in breach of, and tortuously interfering with" players and their existing contracts, according to the suit.

The 29-year-old's anger with the NFL and the Giants in particular goes deeper than that, though, and he let it spill out in the statement that was taken by NFLPA lawyers on April 14. The broken promise prior to the 2008 season - just after the Giants won Super Bowl XLII and a few months before Umenyiora suffered a season-ending left knee injury in a preseason game - turned Umenyiora bitter towards his employer and has him believing, one source said, he'll be traded before the start of the 2011 season.

Though his anger had already festered for a year, Umenyiora's unhappiness didn't truly bubble over until Aug., 2009, when he stormed out of the Giants' practice facility after an apparent dispute with then-defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan. Umenyiora later returned and apologized to his coaches. But he had a very uneasy season which ended with him being demoted from his starting job for the final five games. That move soured his relationship with Tom Coughlin, too.

Umenyiora, who is due $3.125 million in salary from the Giants in 2011, then said he endured what he said was the "worst offseason of my entire life" and even promised to retire if the Giants didn't give him his old starting job back. And while it's unclear if he asked for a trade, a source close to the disgruntled end said he was sure he was going to be traded in April, 2010, after the Giants drafted defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul with their first overall pick - mostly because he remembered Reese's promise.

To make matters worse, later in that offseason he was told by doctors that he needed surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip. However, after consulting with the Giants he decided to play through the injury - and he ended up with a team-high 11 1/2 sacks and an NFL-record 10 forced fumbles in 2011.

Now Umenyiora seems to believe he won't be back to try to repeat that performance. He has sold his home in New Jersey, according to a source, and is hoping that Reese finally fulfills his promise and trades him to another team.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/06/16/2011-06-16_osi_umenyiora_claims_new_york_giants_gm_jerry_reese_lied_about_new_deal_de_says_.html#ixzz1PU3l2low
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I think this is a tough situation.

I think it will end up with Osi being traded. I don't see a happy resolution here.

It could free up cash to allow us to keep Kiwanuka

This is not how the Giants do business and Osi knows it. One of the issues is that Osi wants his big payday, which he isn;t going to get here and he has 2 more years left on his contract so he has little leverage other than doing what he is doing.

the interesting question though, what is Osi's trade value?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 am

I say we only trade him if a team offers a really good deal. Otherwise he's locked in on a good deal cap wise. And because one dumbass eagle player opened his mouth that gives Osi added motivation to play even better against them.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Like Jeremy Shockey before him, DE Osi Umenyiora could force Giants' hand with new deal or trade

Ralph Vacchiano

Saturday, June 18th 2011, 4:33 PM

Three years ago, almost to the day, the volatile and unhappy Jeremy Shockey got into a screaming match with Giants general manager Jerry Reese. Seemingly bitter about everything, Shockey spent that offseason telling anyone who'd listen he wanted out of New York.

He was angry at the Giants. He was becoming nasty about it. He was a growing distraction.

And the Giants still, at that time, were determined to bring him back.

It took more than a month and a few angry conversations with Shockey before the Giants finally shipped the malcontent to New Orleans for a couple of draft picks. They don't like to be forced into making moves, nor do they like to give away talented (and affordable) players.

They were so determined to keep Shockey they even had co-owner John Mara call him to try to talk him off the ledge.

So, you can see why it's far from a lock that even if the Giants don't reward defensive end Osi Umenyiora with a new contract that he'll finally get his wish to be traded to a team that will pay him what he feels he deserves.

Whether it happens depends in large part on what Umenyiora does next.

"I mean this is a business," Umenyiora said when he was asked what would happen if he doesn't get the new contract or trade that he says Reese promised. "As we can see, the teams are operating as a business right now. They're doing what they feel like they need to do to maximize their revenue. As a player you have to do the same thing. We only have a short period of time to make as much as we can make, period.

"So honestly that's something we have to discuss with my agent as far as the next course of action if, when the lockout is over, nothing is done. I'm going to have to see exactly where I'll have to go from there."

Umenyiora stopped short of saying he'd be a Shockey-like problem or would hold out or demand a trade. But if nothing else, his words should give the Giants pause considering what was in his affidavit for Brady v. NFL, the players' antitrust lawsuit against the league, that was leaked to reporters last week. Umenyiora swore, under penalty of perjury, that Reese made a promise in April of 2008 to either pay him like he was one of the top five defensive ends in football or trade him to a team that would. It made Reese look like a liar, even though Umenyiora said that wasn't his intent.

Umenyiora has been quietly seething over that broken promise for more than a year, according to a source close to the defensive end. There have been a few public flares of his anger, like his August 2009 fit when he stormed out of the Giants' practice facility after a dispute with then-defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan, and his pledge the following February to retire if he wasn't given a starting job in 2010.

But Umenyiora said "I don't think it was all about a contract," and until the affidavit, he never specifically said why he was so ticked off.

"That was because of what Reese promised," the source said. "Osi thought if he kept quiet he'd be traded."

Now that Umenyiora has lit the match, what are the Giants to do? Clearly there'll be a market for a 29-year-old who had 11 1/2 sacks last season, even though he had offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip. After all, they got a second- and fifth-round pick for Shockey, a mouthy, oft-injured tight end in decline and coming off a broken leg.

Then again, unlike Shockey, Umenyiora's happiness can be bought. Shockey, feeling the Giants abandoned him during their Super Bowl run, just wanted out. Umenyiora just wants to be paid.

The problem with that is the market for defensive ends is astronomical. One year ago, Julius Peppers - a year older than Umenyiora, and coming off a 10 1/2-sack season - got a six-year, $91.5 million contract from the Chicago Bears with more guaranteed money ($42 million) than Umenyiora got in the whole six-year, $41.5 million extension he signed in 2005.

Whatever they do, the Giants just can't let it fester and hope it'll all go away, especially since Umenyiora already hinted it won't. And while Umenyiora isn't Shockey - really he isn't even close - it's worth remembering the Shockey distraction didn't go away until Shockey did.

Maybe that's the way this will have to end, too.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2011/06/18/2011-06-18_like_jeremy_shockey_before_him_de_osi_umenyiora_could_force_giants_hand_with_new.html#ixzz1Pfmzdcrh
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Pizan wrote:I say we only trade him if a team offers a really good deal. Otherwise he's locked in on a good deal cap wise. And because one dumbass eagle player opened his mouth that gives Osi added motivation to play even better against them.

I like that in principle, but I doubt it will happen. I can't see Osi playing under his current deal, which I can understand from his point of view. It is a business after all and Osi probably has one good premium deal left to make his money.

I actually think demand for Osi would be very high, he would be the best pass rusher available and by a huge margin.

I could see 4-3 teams like Detroit, Chicago, St Louis, Denver, Cleveland, Oakland and maybe Seattle all being very interested. You could probably add Tampa Bay, Atlanta and New Orleans into the potential mix (though neither have a 1st rounder next year)

I could also see 3-4 teams like Kansas City, New York Jets, New England, Buffalo, Houston and Arizona also being very interested.

Osi' value is probably somewhere around a pair of second round picks right now. But I could see a team giving up a mid-late first. Take for example Cleveland and New England, both of whom have a pair of 1st rounders in 2012.

I could also see a player trade. Take the Cardinals for example, assume they are willing to trade Larry Fitzgerald, perhaps packaging Osi and Manningham could see something done.

There are options. Players with Osi's proven pass rushing pedigree don't come along often. Last year he settled any concerns about him. He is a stud player.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:30 am

Oh yea not doubt a deal could be done but I wouldn't unless it was for a 1st or something else really good. A Fitzgerald trade would be awesome but thats not happening. Cleveland and New England could be good for a trade.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 am

Pizan wrote:Oh yea not doubt a deal could be done but I wouldn't unless it was for a 1st or something else really good. A Fitzgerald trade would be awesome but thats not happening. Cleveland and New England could be good for a trade.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.If Osi is traded, it would only for the price we want. I would think a 1st rounder is the minimum starting point.

Does Reese give Osi the big payday he wants? I think that is unlikely.

I can understand Osi's position given his age and point of his career, he needs that big payday to set himself up.

I actually think JPP was drafted to be his eventual replacement.

If Osi was traded, then bringing Kiwi back is a no brainer. A rotation of Tuck, Kiwi, JPP and Tollefson is quite decent. We could also bring in guys like Matt Roth or Cliff Avril.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Thats a good point about JPP. He was definitely brought in here to replace either Osi or Kiwi. Now knowing the contract/trade agreement that Osi and Reese had makes even more sense. I'm sure the Kiwi injury threw a wrench into things but we could still gamble with it. Trading Osi for a 1st, resigning Kiwi, and signing a Free Agent like Roth would be awesome.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Pizan wrote:Thats a good point about JPP. He was definitely brought in here to replace either Osi or Kiwi. Now knowing the contract/trade agreement that Osi and Reese had makes even more sense. I'm sure the Kiwi injury threw a wrench into things but we could still gamble with it. Trading Osi for a 1st, resigning Kiwi, and signing a Free Agent like Roth would be awesome.

Don't forget there was a little drama with Osi last year as well. But I think will escalate big time unless Osi either gets paid or traded.

It all depends on whether we are willing to pay Osi, but I just don't see it. He is going to want (and get) something like a 5 year $50mil deal. I don't see it happening. I think Osi is definately goes to dig his heels in on this one.

Kiwi's injury is a problem, but if he is cleared, he will get a one year deal here. If Osi does move on, this will be an attractive spot for those fringe DEs like Avril, Roth etc.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down