TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Will Beatty article

2 posters

Go down

Will Beatty article Empty Will Beatty article

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Beatty: Draft showed Giants' confidence in me

Updated: May 31, 2011 11:18 AM
By Bob Glauber

In the weeks leading up to last month's draft, there was widespread speculation the Giants would take a franchise left tackle in the first round. Instead, they went with cornerback Prince Amukamara in the first round, and didn't address the tackle position until th efourth round, when they chose Indiana tackle James Brewer, who played right tackle in college but is considered a prospect at left tackle.

What's it all mean to William Beatty, a second-round pick in 2009?

"After the draft, it showed me they're still looking at me for that [left tackle] position, and I still have an opportunity to prove myself," Beatty said. "My home position is left tackle, and I'm going to do everything I can to solidify that position."

The Giants' plans are on hold, of course, due to the lockout. But once the labor situation is resolved, Beatty sees himself as the starter. If that's the case, then incumbent David Diehl would likely move to left guard, where Rich Seubert played until suffering a knee injury in the final game last season. Seubert's rehab is going well, but it's uncertain whether he'll be ready for the season. And center Shaun O'Hara is coming off two off-season foot surgeries.

"When I got here, they had a lot of plans for me," said Beatty, who played at Connecticut before being drafted. "They had high expectations that they wanted me to reach."

Beatty's primary focus is putting on some more weight and adding strength.

"It's about getting bigger and stronger and looking more like a left tackle, so they won't say, 'Maybe he's a tight end, maybe he's a left tackle,'" Beatty said. "[The Giants] want me at 310-315, but they want me as a solid 310-315. Right now, I'm about 305 during the off-season. Take off the fat, then put on the muscle. I’m on a nice program so tht by the time August comes, I'm a solid 315."

Giants general manager Jerry Reese has played his cards right at left tackle, in part by going against conventional wisdom. When the team released Luke Pettitgout after the 2006 season, they went with Diehl, who had previously played guard, as their left tackle. The team won the Super Bowl in 2007, and Diehl established himself as a quality pass blocker.

So passing up on blue chip left tackles in the draft - Anthony Castonzo of Boston College, Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi and James Carpenter of Alabama were still on the board when the Giants picked in the first round - was another gamble Reese was willing to take.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Will Beatty article Empty Re: Will Beatty article

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:20 pm

I actually think the Giants are high on Beatty. I wouldn't be surprised if he opened the season protecting Eli's blind side.

Beatty had the inside running last year until we got hurt. then when he came back we used him at RT and LT while we shuffled our line to cover injuries.
I think losing that time hurt Beatty but I think he would have been ok as a starter, much like Goff, and improved every week.

I think the front office really like him a lot and that with our coaching and his attitude he will get there.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:22 pm

If you look into Reese's pre draft comments about Beatty, there is a hint of how highly he is regarded by the front office.

Reese, as he did with the linebacker position, reiterated that there are several players on the current roster that the team still expects contributions from, most notably 2009 second-round pick Will Beatty.

"Will Beatty is a guy we picked in the second round. We expect second-round guys to play," Reese said.

"He did a fine job when he was in there. We won a bunch of games when he played left tackle for us. We expect him to challenge."
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 am

When we drafted him we knew he was gonna be a developmental player but it really wasn't as much technique we wanted to develop as it was his body. If he gets bigger and stronger we'll have a stud at LT for the next 8-10 years. I could see Seubert starting the year on the pup list with Diehl starting at LG and Beatty at LT. I actually would be surprised if that didn't happen. Next year Petrus could be the starting LG while Diehl starts at RT. Brewer would then be our swing tackle.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 am

Pizan wrote:When we drafted him we knew he was gonna be a developmental player but it really wasn't as much technique we wanted to develop as it was his body. If he gets bigger and stronger we'll have a stud at LT for the next 8-10 years. I could see Seubert starting the year on the pup list with Diehl starting at LG and Beatty at LT. I actually would be surprised if that didn't happen. Next year Petrus could be the starting LG while Diehl starts at RT. Brewer would then be our swing tackle.

I agree with you Pizan. I think Beatty will be LT and Diehl LG.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Petrus got playing time backing up all three interior spos, particularly if Serubert starts on Pup.

It is obvious to me that Andrews is all but gone.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down