TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates
 

Pizan's Free Agency Big Blue Print

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pizan's Free Agency Big Blue Print

Post  Pizan on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 am

I had a bit of a football fever today so I figured I'd try my hand at what our offseason would look like if I was running the show. Problem is I have a few different scenarios how this could all play out.

Resign: Steve Smith, Dave Tollefson, Mathias Kiwanuka

Release: Shawn Andrews, Rocky Benard, Madison Hedgecock

Trade: Osi for a 2nd and a 4th round pick. It's imperative we continue to look beyond this year and continue to build a perennial contender much like the Patriots. Osi hasn't been happy here and we don't need the locker room distraction. Obviously we aren't gonna pay him top 5 DE money. We just can't. If he sticks to his guns it's smarter to move him to a team that will pay him. This would be a conditional trade that could escalate to a 1st round pick but no less than a 2nd and 4th.

Contracts that need restructured: Brandon Jacobs, Corey Webster, Eli Manning, Chris Canty, Sage Rosenfals

Free Agents Signed

Major Signings:

RB Reggie Bush - He will be a cap casualty of the Saints. Jason La Californa suggest he'll get a contract in the 4-5 million a year range. Certainly affordable for us considering what we save with Andrews. He will give us that game changer on offense that we sorely lack. He's the only player that allows us to replace both Boss and Bradshaw ultimately helping save money.

Cheap Alternative: Jason Snelling, Kevin Smith, Tim Hightower, Clinton Portis, Marion Barber

LB Paul Posluzsny - A Blue-Collar leader who is already familiar with the defense which will make the transition much faster. Its a perfect match for both sides. He knows the North East and it isn't far from home. Although I'm reluctant when it comes to former Penn State players, Poz is a Jack of all trades Master of none.

Cheap Alternative: Nick Barnett, Takeo Spikes, Clint Session, Ernie Sims, Thomas Howard, Leroy Hill

Even Cheaper Options: Nick Roach, Anthony Waters, Tavares Gooden

Moderate Signings:

DT Tommie Harris - A modest 2 year contract should lure him considering the talent we have along the Dline. There is only one other place that stands a chance to be more attractive to a 3Tech and thats with the Colts.

Cheap Alternative: Eric Foster, Derek Landri

Cheap Signings:

FB Owen Schmitt
- Will be released from the Eagles with Probowl FB Leonard Weaver coming back from injury. Excellent lead blocker who plays tough. Also, a very good receiver outta the backfield. This would allow us to let Hedgecock go and move Bear back to his natural position at TE. If Schmitt isn't released I would sign Matt Spaeth at TE and keep Bear at FB.

S Brandon McGowan - A good cheap option for our 3rd safety spot. Can play either safety position and a excellent specials player. A local kid from Jersey City.

DE/LB Antwan Barnes - A very good pass rusher (we love those BTW) who could serve as an insurance policy to Kiwi.

*OG/OC Jason Spitz - Signing him would depend on Seubert. If we plan to start Richie on the Pup list then I would make a move to sign a vet with experience. I would like Boothe back but I think he'll get a starters contract elsewhere.

UDFA Signings: Mark Herzlich LB, Kendrick Burney CB, Shaky Smithson RS

53 Man Roster

Offense (24)

QB- Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfals
RB- Brandon Jacobs, Reggie Bush, DJ Ware, Darell Scott
WR- Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Ramses Barden, Jerell Jerrigan, Victor Cruz
FB- Owen Schmitt
TE- Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe
OT- Kareem Mckenzie, Will Beatty, James Brewer
OG- David Diehl, Chris Snee, Mitch Petrus
G/C-Rich Seubert/Jason Spitz
OC- Shaun O'Hara, Adam Koets

Defense (25)

DE- Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwi, Jason Pierre-Paul, Dave Tollefson, Antwan Barnes
NT- Chris Canty, Linval Joseph
UT- Tommie Harris, Marvin Austin
SLB-Clint Sintim, Mark Herzlich/Adrian Tracy
MLB-Paul Posluzsny, Jon Goff, Greg Jones/Phil Dillard
WLB-Mike Boley, Jac Williams
CB- Webster, Thomas, Ross, Prince, Kendrick Burney/B. Johnson
S- Phillips, Rolle, McGowan, Sash

Special Teams (4)

K- Tynes
P- Dodge
LS- DeOssie
RS- Shaky Smithson
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizan's Free Agency Big Blue Print

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 am

nice, I like the general idea

I don't see the Tommie Harris signing, I think we will either keep Cofield or Bernard.

I would add Steven Tulloch into the mix at MLB, I think this could be a situation where Reese could open the check book a little more to get the top talent.

I would add Cliff Avril as a possible DE signing if we trade Osi

If Boss isn't back I would be happy with Spaeth as well, giving us a good trio of TEs including a pair of stud blockers.

I would add Boley's to the list of contracts that should be reworked.

I do like the Osi trade, I could equally see a player for player trade at a need position (possibly with picks).
It may be something of a long shot, but I could see something happening with players like LB Aaron Curry (straight up) or TE Brandon Pettigrew (maybe with a conditional 2nd/3rd) were available.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizan's Free Agency Big Blue Print

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 am

Well thought out and I like most of it.

I believe Tollefson is restricted and we put a high tender so he should be easy enough to sign.

Signing Steve Smith is a no brainer and Kiwanuka should get another chance to prove his health.

I sorta like your thinking on Reggie Bush but not so sure at the expense of keeping around a pretty good tight end.

Herzlich would be a nice udfa addition.

I would sign a better punter if available.
avatar
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizan's Free Agency Big Blue Print

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:39 am

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:
I believe Tollefson is restricted and we put a high tender so he should be easy enough to sign.


The RFA tenders for players with 4 and 5 accrued seasons will be voided with the new CBA, they are UFA instead
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizan's Free Agency Big Blue Print

Post  Pizan on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Big_Pete wrote:nice, I like the general idea

I don't see the Tommie Harris signing, I think we will either keep Cofield or Bernard.

I would add Steven Tulloch into the mix at MLB, I think this could be a situation where Reese could open the check book a little more to get the top talent.

I would add Cliff Avril as a possible DE signing if we trade Osi

If Boss isn't back I would be happy with Spaeth as well, giving us a good trio of TEs including a pair of stud blockers.

I would add Boley's to the list of contracts that should be reworked.

I do like the Osi trade, I could equally see a player for player trade at a need position (possibly with picks).
It may be something of a long shot, but I could see something happening with players like LB Aaron Curry (straight up) or TE Brandon Pettigrew (maybe with a conditional 2nd/3rd) were available.

Problems is Cofield, Avril, and Tulluch would be more expensive then the combination of Harris, Barnes, and Poz. I knew it's gonna be a tight squeeze with the other signings.
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizan's Free Agency Big Blue Print

Post  Pizan on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:Well thought out and I like most of it.

I believe Tollefson is restricted and we put a high tender so he should be easy enough to sign.

Signing Steve Smith is a no brainer and Kiwanuka should get another chance to prove his health.

I sorta like your thinking on Reggie Bush but not so sure at the expense of keeping around a pretty good tight end.

Herzlich would be a nice udfa addition.

I would sign a better punter if available.


My thinking on Bush is that he can easily have an 80+ reception season here. Boss or Bradshaw will never be capable of that. Beckum and Bear could fill the remaining void left by Boss. I like Boss, I think he's solid but his concussion issues might become a problem. Let another team deal with that, same with Bradshaws ankles.

We have a very boring straight forward offense. No real big play/game changing threats. Bush, even if its just for 10-15 touches a game changes that completely. Eli took a step back last year with turnovers, you have to imagine or predictable offense had a say in that. If we get an X-Factor on the field it makes Eli a better QB instantly.
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pizan's Free Agency Big Blue Print

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum