TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Seattle rumblings about Osi

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seattle rumblings about Osi

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:55 pm

I was reading John Clayton's recent comments about the Osi situtation. It is very interesting that he plucked Seattle as the possible trade destination. I wonder what rumblings he is hearing behind the scenes.

Q: Any truth to the rumblings that Osi Umenyiora is unhappy in New York? If so, what type of compensation do you believe it would take to land him? Matthew in Vermilion, OhioA:
Great timing on this question. He is unhappy because the organization talked to him about a contract extension but nothing has happened. Also, remember that he's a plaintiff in the Tom Brady case. He spent two hours at the bargaining talks Thursday. Owner John Mara told him to meet with team management. He will. If he's not satisfied, maybe there will be a trade. Don't be surprised if Seattle gets involved. It's also not out of the question for him to get a contract extension. This could be one of the most interesting stories at the start of free agency.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seattle rumblings about Osi

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Osi Umenyiora for Aaron Curry anyone?
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:16 pm

I picked Seattle because it make sense, they need a stud pass rusher, have the cap room to make it happen and are a team that will make player trades.

As far as Curry as a possibility, The Seahawks are on the hook for $10m+ (in addition to his signing bonus), so moving him could make a lot of sense.

Here is his salary situation.

• 2011: $5,076,250 (+ $5 million roster bonus),
  • 2012: $5,757,500,
  • 2013: $5,938,750,
  • 2014: $8.12 million,
  • 2015: Free Agent
It means we would effectively get Curry for a 4 year $29.9m deal with no guaranteed money, which is quite reasonable for a good LB..
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:22 pm

If I'm Seattle I don't give up on Curry yet. I'd love to have him here but I just don't see that as a realistic possibility more of a dream scenario. If anything I could see us getting draft picks in exchange for Osi.

Other players that we could be interested in to be apart of a deal could be LB David Hawthorne, TE Anthony McCoy, OL Max Unger. I'd prefer Curry but these players could also have value to us. Maybe Osi for Unger and a 2nd or Hawthorne and a 2nd.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Pizan wrote:If I'm Seattle I don't give up on Curry yet. I'd love to have him here but I just don't see that as a realistic possibility more of a dream scenario. If anything I could see us getting draft picks in exchange for Osi.

Other players that we could be interested in to be apart of a deal could be LB David Hawthorne, TE Anthony McCoy, OL Max Unger. I'd prefer Curry but these players could also have value to us. Maybe Osi for Unger and a 2nd or Hawthorne and a 2nd.

Possibly, but I doubt they give up McCoy or Unger. Though I really like Unger.

Curry makes sense from a cap point of view, particularly if they aren't using him effectively. He is not the stud pass rusher they want, he has plenty of other skills, particularly in space. So what does Seattle do? they try him at DT in pass rushing situations (which is astounding and perhaps shows their desperation).
Curry's contract is huge, particularly for a player they aren't using effectively and they are on the hook big time for the next few years. This year is an opportunity to clear that cap money for the future. Remember he has a $5mil roster bonus due soon.

It is worth noting that the Seahawks drafted KJ Wright, a good OLB with some pass rushing ability

If not they better be willing to open up picks, either that first rounder or a second and fourth at bare minimum.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Actually David Hawthorne looks like a good option

He signed a one year deal with Seattle

2011: $900,000,
2012: Free Agent.

In addition to his $900,000 base