TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Practice Reports

3 posters

Go down

Practice Reports Empty Practice Reports

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:00 pm

here are some practice reports from inside football.com
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Practice Reports Empty Re: Practice Reports

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:04 pm

July 31, 2011: The Day at Camp — Mid-Day Chatter
07/31/2011 | Author Mike Fiammetta

DT Chris Canty: With the departures of Barry Cofield and Rocky Bernard, as well as the influx of young talent at the position in Linval Joseph and rookie Marvin Austin, Canty has been thrust into a bigger leadership position than ever among the Giants’ defensive tackles.

Sunday, he addressed some of the concern surrounding the team about the loss of so many veterans, making clear that he intends on having a bigger presence both as a leader and player.

“Well obviously, I’m going to have to step up,” Canty said. “Cofield did a lot of things to make my job easier, so I’m excited for him moving forward with his career, with his new team, but at the same time, I understand that I’ve got to step up here. I’ve got to be able to contribute a little bit more to this football team, from a leadership perspective, from a performance perspective. I’m ready to take on the challenge.”

“The best thing for me is to show them,” Canty added. “It starts with leadership. You talk to them in the face, but they come out here everyday day in and day out, they see how I prepare myself as a vet and I just try to pull those guys along and try to show them the way, and I hope they follow along.”

Canty talked about both Joseph and Austin individually, saying he was pleased with the performance of both.

“Linval looks big!” Canty said, laughing. “He’s done a great job of getting his body ready to come in and step right in and play football. Obviously, he’s a big, strong guy, very physical. If he decides to go straight, there’s nobody in the NFL that’s going to stop him. He’s that kind of guy.”

“Marvin, he’s very athletic, a very athletic guy,” Canty said. “You can see it in his movements, he’s got a little wiggle to him. He’s very explosive. So I’m excited about the talents of both of those guys. Like I said, I’m going to try to help them and coach them up as much as I can; they’re going to help me in some things, too.”

DT Linval Joseph: Joseph, a second-round draft pick in 2010, played in only six games last year. But at 6-foot-4, 328 pounds, he presents a giant (no pun intended) option at nose tackle — the position he started at in the first practice of 2011 Saturday night.

“My opportunity is open a lot more now, so right now, I just have to give it my all, give it my best and just be ready,” Joseph said.

Coming out of East Carolina University, Joseph was seen as a player that might need some time to develop. Having played sparingly in 2010, Joseph got a redshirt year of sorts, allowing him to learn behind a veteran group of guys who were ahead of him on the DT depth chart.

Now, those players are gone.

“Last year, I felt like I was ready, but at the same time there was Barry Cofield, Chris Canty, Rocky Bernard,” Joseph said. “We had a lot of good players so I just have to play my role, play my part.”

WR Mario Manningham: With the news of Plaxico Burress joining the Jets breaking this morning, Manningham was the first Giants receiver to share his thoughts on the former teammate spurning his old team for their crosstown rivals.

Manningham expressed no lack of confidence in himself or the Giants’ receivers, while adding that the team can only control so much.

“You put us in a position to make plays and we make them,” Manningham said of the Giants’ receivers, especially Hakeem Nicks. “This is what we do; we play wide receiver, so we are used to it. Because you hear all this stuff, it doesn’t make a difference what people have to say. We have a different spark to us. We talk all the time. We don’t care if they ever talk about us, as long as we win on Sundays, that’s all that matters and for us to do our jobs.

Manningham was also asked about the Eagles, who have quickly become an even bigger topic at Giants camp than normal. Philadelphia, of course, has added DB Nnamdi Asomugha and several other big-name free agents.

“I feel like we can match up with anybody, I am not going to down talk our receivers,” Manningham said. “We go against the best every week, Sunday in and Sunday out. I am not about to say [the Eagles] have a three-headed monster or give them all the props in the world — and they haven’t even played a game yet. They are good, they are athletes and they are in the NFL. We go out and do what we have to do and we will see when we play them.”

WR Devin Thomas: Thomas appeared in only four games for the Giants last year, but the given the uncertainty stemming from Steve Smith’s free agency and injury situations, he could very well be in the running for the No. 3 WR spot.

“I’m really excited,” Thomas said of his opportunity. “It’s a blessing to be able to come back. Coming here last year towards the end was just getting the groove of things and starting to pick up on the play book and everything. Now, it’s kind of a fresh start. We missed out on the mini-camps and everything with the lockout, but to start camp with this team has just been a great opportunity.”

Thomas also echoed what Manningham said about Burress Sunday, that the Giants’ receivers haven’t really talked much about their former teammate. That doesn’t really jive with what Domenik Hixon said Saturday, though Hixon was also repeatedly stating his desire for the team to bring Burress back.

“There wasn’t really any talk about [Burress],” Thomas said. “We heard about it, but there wasn’t much to say. We are a receiver group and we’re ready to make things happen. Plax, I heard he’s over there with the Jets now. Congratulations to him. That’s my big brother, Michigan State guy. I wish him the best.”

LB Clint Sintim: After having knee surgery two months ago, Sintim is eager to justify the second-round pick the Giants spent on him in the 2009 draft. Sintim appeared in 13 games last season, but recorded just 13 tackles. Also, not long before this year’s draft in April, GM Jerry Reese called out Sintim, saying the linebacker had some “growing up to do.”

Sintim responded to the comment Sunday, and said multiple times that “production produces production,” indicating he knows he has some improving to do.

“I do understand where [Reese] is coming from,” Sintim said said. “I was drafted in the second round. I wasn’t drafted in the sixth or the seventh. From his perspective, I haven’t really played. I haven’t really proven myself or performed.”

Sintim, who was one of the Giants’ starting linebackers when the team lined up at practice last night, also said his knee feels fine.

“[Saturday] was really the first day and I just wanted to push it and test it to see how it went,” Sintim said. “It felt great yesterday. … I just finished icing it now and stretching it and doing everything possible to keep it as good as possible. I am going to take it day-to-day and figure it out.”
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:05 pm

July 31 Practice Report: Osi Doesn’t Practice; Barden Unsure of Return
07/31/2011 | Author Mike Fiammetta

As the Giants took the field outside the Timex Performance Center for the second consecutive evening, all eyes on were DE Osi Umenyiora.

After ending his one-day, zero-practice holdout Saturday, Umenyiora reported again Sunday and took his physical early in the morning. Head coach Tom Coughlin spoke to the media in the afternoon, and said that he didn’t expect Umenyiora — who also saw team physician Dr. Russell Warren in the afternoon — to practice.

Coughlin said the reason for the visit with Dr. Warren was to check on some issues that Umenyiora’s had “over the years,” specifically mentioning his hip as precluding a visit with the team physician. Later, DT Chris Canty said Umenyiora had a “medical issue.”

Indeed, once his teammates jogged out to the practice field at 6PM, Umenyiora remained on the side near the workout bikes, along with C Adam Koets (patellar tendon) and Ramses Barden (ankle). The lack of participation from those three was expected — Barden began training camp on the Reserve/PUP list, while Koets joined him Sunday after not practicing the day before. Coughlin did say Saturday that he was surprised Koets wasn’t practice, as he expected him to be healthy after offseason surgery to repair a torn ACL.

Umenyiora, Reese talk

When Umenyiora ended his holdout Saturday, he was said to be still far from happy with his situation. Umenyiora was so disgruntled that, according to multiple reports, he had zero interest in talking to GM Jerry Reese.

That quickly changed, however, as instead of talking to the media, Umenyiora and Reese met to have a conversation, according to head coach Tom Coughlin..

“I think that was something good that came out of [Saturday],” the coach said before declining to offer any further comment.

WR Ramses Barden unsure of timetable for return

Throughout the offseason, and even in the week leading up to training camp, Barden was one of the many receivers who was being looked upon to step up this season into a bigger role.

However, that opportunity appears to be on hold indefinitely, as despite having a clean-out procedure done on his left ankle back in March, Barden is still not ready to pass a physical and has instead landed on the PUP list.

“I’m not sure what the timetable is,” Barden said of his potential return. “I know right now [the Giants] want to kind of take everything slow to make sure there’s no issues that arise. It’s important for me to be 100 percent and not have any kind of setbacks or anything. I think both the coaches and the training staff are confident with me.”

Confidence from the team will be key for Barden, as missing out on Plaxico Burress — coupled with the Eagles’ signing of CB Nnamdi Asomugha — has heightened the spotlight on the Giants’ receivers.

While Barden remained confident both in the progress made during his offseason rehab and where his ankle stands now, he did admit to having some reservations about the timing of his surgery.

“Maybe if I had the surgery a little earlier, I’m sure I’d be at a different stage,” Barden said. “But, you play the cards you’re dealt. I’m still excited about when the opportunity comes to be back on the field and play with my family that’s out there. You know we’re going to have a good time.”

Free agency update

While the Giants have seen some of their division rivals — most notably the Eagles — be very proactive in free agency, the team has seemingly been prioritizing re-signing their own free agents.

WR Steve Smith had offseason microfracture knee surgery, and there are unconfirmed reports that he could miss up to the first month of the season as he continues his rehab. Meanwhile, TE Kevin Boss remains in limbo as he explores his options.

RB Ahmad Bradshaw’s situation has caused the most headlines, as reports Sunday linked him to both Cincinnati and Washington, until each of those teams required a high-profile running back later in the day. Bradshaw’s opportunities appear to be dwindling, and the Giants could be ready to move on without him, as according to a league source, Atlanta RB Jason Snelling was said to be on his way to New York to meet with the Giants on Monday.

The Giants also made one acquisition Sunday, as Adam Kaplan of SiriusXM Radio and Fox Sports reported the team was awarded G Herman Johnson off waivers from the Bears. Johnson, listed at 6-foot-7, 360 pounds, has not played in an NFL game after two years in the league. He was drafted by the Cardinals in the fifth round of the 2009 draft.

Practice notes:

There was no sighting of first-round draft pick CB Prince Amukamara Sunday. Amukamara’s agent and the Giants were reportedly just resolving “language issues” in his contract Saturday, but no progress was announced Sunday. When he spoke to the media Saturday, Coughlin said of Amukamara, “He better get in here.”

The Giants announced the signing of G Brant Clouser Saturday night. Sunday, he was exchanging snaps with third-string QB Ryan Perrilloux. Clouser, wearing No. 70 on his uniform, was a four-year starter at Virginia.
For the second consecutive night, the starting linebackers were, from left to right, Michael Boley, Jonathan Goff and Clint Sintim. That figures to remain the same barring injury.

DB Aaron Ross, typically a cornerback, lined up at safety with the second-team on a few occasions during position drills Sunday. Ross played some safety for the Giants two years ago.

CB Terrell Thomas made a terrific jump on the ball to intercept Eli Manning on the first play of the 11-on-11 scrimmage. Afterward, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell ran over from across the field, yelling, “I see you, TT! I see you!”

CB Bruce Johnson also earned some props from Fewell after making a great play on the ball to deflect a long pass from QB Sage Rosenfels to WR Jerrel Jernigan.

Later in practice, Thomas failed to deliver another opportunity to intercept Manning. Thomas was in excellent position on a deep corner route down the left sideline, and when Manning’s pass to WR Mario Manningham was in reach, he was in line to make an impressive, but catchable, over-the-shoulder interception — but it fell right through his hands.

LB Kenny Ingram, in camp for the third consecutive year, made several impressive plays on the ball Sunday, particularly on pass plays. The linebackers unquestionably remain the most criticized unit on the defense, and Ingram could earn himself some playing time if he continues to impress.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Giants Training Camp Observations
08/01/2011 | Author Pat Traina

For as much as I love the new training camp setup at the Timex Performance Center, the practice schedule has admittedly been a bit of a challenge on deadlines, so it’s forced a slight alteration to how we do practice reports. With that said, the plan is to still share observations — they just might take a little longer to get them posted.

Right now it’s hard to put much stock in anything you see because rosters are NOT set, certain guys cannot practice until August 4, and there are just so many moving parts going on that no sooner do we write one thing than the information is outdated. Anyway, here are a few observations I’ve taken away so far.

* Put me in the minority here, but I’m not too overly concerned at this point about the absence of Steve Smith and Ramses Barden from the lineup just yet. I think Domenik Hixon is going to fill in just nicely and he could potentially see his stock rise if everything continues to go well with his knee. Although not going full blast on punt returns, for example, Hixon looked alert and methodical in his fielding of the punts; when running patterns, I thought he looked crisp.

* I try not to get excited about a player based on one performance, which is why last year I wasn’t joining the Victor Cruz bandwagon after just one pre-season game against third-stringers. However, I’m starting to warm up to the kid, who has some nice quick moves and ability to break tackles. Whereas I thought he might have had an uphill battle to make the roster, now I’m thinking he may not only make it, he just might surprise a few more naysayers such as yours truly.

* I’m calling it now – FB Henry Hynoski is going to make people quickly forget about Madison Hedgecock. While it’s probable that Bear Pascoe will start off at fullback, I suspect Hynoski is going to get the role full time sooner than later. The kid has great size, a non-stop motor, and has shown, at least so far, that he can be a receiver out of the backfield. Trust me, if you’re still mourning the loss of Vonta Leach, who signed with the Ravens over the weekend, don’t.

* It was weird seeing the offensive line without Shaun O’Hara and Rich Seubert. It was even weirder to see Chris Snee, a Pro Bowl guard, lining up at center, but of course the move is only temporary until David Baas is eligible to practice.

* I thought the defensive backfield looked perky early on. They were flying to the ball and just showing some hunger in wanting to make plays. Prior to the first practice, I had a chance to grab Antrel Rolle fore a few minutes and I asked him how anxious the DBs were to get back on the field. “Very,” he told me with a wide grin. Well so far, they’ve shown it.

* I’m still not sure what to make of DJ Ware. I know he has the desire, and he certainly has the talent, but at times I watch him run and it just seems like something is missing. For instance, when sent between the tackles on a couple of runs, he looked unsure, shuffled his feet, and was stopped for a loss. It just looked as though he wasn’t trusting what he saw in front of him, which could very well be since he hasn’t run behind this new offensive line yet and was probably trying to find his way. Still, I’ll be looking to see if he keeps those feet moving forward, as when you hesitate as a running back, you’re going to be stopped, and that’s something I saw on more than a few occasions.

* Corey Webster, who ended last year with a knee injury, looked quick and spry in his step. He still does a nice job staying on a receiver’s hip and didn’t’ seem to have lost any speed. Meanwhile his partner in crime, Terrell Thomas, who’s entering his contract year this season, has an added spring in his step as well. Thomas told me over the off-season that he still has a lot to prove, and that he really feels like last year was a turning point for him given all the added responsibility he was given (I’ll have more from Thomas in an upcoming piece that is headed for the newsletter).

* I had a chance to watch the first team linebackers go through their drills – that would be Michael Boley, Jon Goff, and Clint Sintim, for those keeping track at home. Goff, to my eyes at least, looks a lot more comfortable in his role than he did last year. Several times, I saw him get vocal in the huddle and show that leadership spark, which wasn’t always there last year, especially early on.

* Meanwhile, I was looking to see how well Sintim was doing. Sintim, of course, is coming off season-ending knee surgery, and while at times I thought he looked just a tad tentative in moving around, the eagerness sis definitely there. What Sintim needs to be careful of, in my opinion, is overdoing it so that he’s not over thinking the situations.

* Worried about the third safety spot now that Deon Grant won’t be back? Nah, don’t be. Tyler Sash was very active in sniffing out the ball and getting into the mix. At times he took a couple of bad angles that cost him a split second or two in making the play, but he at least had a sense of what to do and where to go.

* It looked like rookie third rounder Jerrel Jernigan had a slight case of the jitters in the initial practices. Lining up as the punt returner, for example, he muffed a couple (though to be fair he was also trying to adjust to a strong, yet gentle breeze that was swirling during the practice). I happened to catch a glimpse of him streaking down a pattern and boy is that kid fast. I’m not sure if he’ll be in the receiving lineup – as of right now my prediction for receiver on opening day is Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, and Domenik Hixon – but this kid definitely has potential.

* Another receiver who’s been somewhat intriguing so far is Devin Thomas, who has good size and who uses it to his advantage to shield the ball from defenders. We weren’t able to get too much about Thomas last year given how late he joined the team (though he did show signs of being a special teams demon), but I think this is another receiver worth keeping an eye on as the preseason wears on.

* Finally, if Matt Dodge is bothered about the addition of Steve Weatherford for his job, he sure didn’t show it in the initial practices as he was booming his kicks. Of course, the asterisk is there was no rush, no wind, and no real sense of urgency. Some guys look terrific in practice until they get onto the field. In Dodge’s case, I still think the talent is there; I think his issue has always been letting the whole picture engulf him, so if he can slow things down a bit, he could very well have a career as an NFL punter yet.

ODDS AND ENDS
Hard to believe it, but David Diehl is now the graybeard in the locker room. While always an outgoing personality, I noticed a slight change in Diehl’s demeanor that reassured me that he’s ready to become the leader of that offensive line, somewhat how like Shaun O’Hara was. Keep an eye on Diehl this preseason, and I think you’ll see what I’m trying to say.

INJURY UPDATE
By now, you no doubt know that C Adam Koets (knee), who had initially been cleared to practice, is on PUP. From what I’m hearing, he should be ready to go when the season starts.

As for the receivers, Barden and Smith, I’m getting the impression – and granted it’s still early – that Barden could miss a large chunk of the preseason, which would not be a good thing. He really needs to find some consistency in his reps I he’s to take that next step thus far he hasn’t had that and I think that’s what’s in part held him back.

Regarding Smith, I had heard that there was a chance he could start on PUP if and when he does re-sign. Smith has been working hard in his rehab, but remember, he had his surgery in December. One thing is for certain — when he does come back, don’t expect him to be thrust into a full time, heavy duty workload.

FINALLY
For those panicking about the fact that TE Kevin Boss and RB Ahmad Bradshaw are, at least as of this writing, unsigned, stop. As I’ve been saying all along, the real deadline is August 4, as that’s when those guys can start practicing.

If you’re still not convinced, then remember that Boss and Bradshaw know the Giants’ playbook, so it’s not as if you have a guy coming in from the street having to play catch-up.

Both players owe it to themselves and their families to explore every option out there on the free agent market, and that’s what they’re doing. With that said, I would be shocked if at least one of them, if not both, isn’t re-signed by Wednesday.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:08 pm

I'd like to see what our coaches can do with Herman Johnson. This guy has a lot of potential.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:22 pm

Pizan wrote:I'd like to see what our coaches can do with Herman Johnson. This guy has a lot of potential.

Nice, he could be useful

I am really keen to see how Hynoski goes
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:44 am

Practice Report: August 3, 2011
08/03/2011 | Author Mike Fiammetta

Rain forced the Giants into their field house on a night that left fans hoping to see the first full-padded practice of camp disappointed. However, head coach Tom Coughlin seemed to be pleased with how practice transpired, saying of the intensity, “It was good. There were a couple of spots where it was a little too good as always.”

That’s probably because the Giants had a couple of injury scares. Backup C Jim Cordle had his leg rolled up on and had to be helped off the field. Cordle later tweeted that he was good, but that didn’t stop Coughlin from ripping into LB Justin Trattou, who was apparently the guilty party that rolled into Cordle.

WR Devin Thomas also tweaked his ankle on a kickoff coverage, but Coughlin didn’t seem to be too concerned with it.

“ The term that I use all the time is, you’ve got to be smart. It is one team and you can’t lose anybody.”

Thomas aiming for Pro Bowl

In his third season last year, CB Terrell Thomas led the team in tackles (101) and interceptions (5). However, those numbers weren’t good enough to earn him a Pro Bowl berth, and Thomas said Wednesday that the failure to receive the postseason honor was something he took personally, though not because he wanted the free trip to Hawaii.

“I felt me not making the Pro Bowl last year was the reason we didn’t make the playoffs,” Thomas said. “I took it personal. I think everybody has a role on this defense, and I felt like I was able to make plays, but there were some plays I could’ve made or should’ve made that I didn’t make.

“I had a long offseason to look at that, to watch film and look at plays I should have made. I’m really just trying to take my game to the next level, be somebody that’s going to be counted on on this defense and someone the coaches can call on.”

There’s been some speculation that Thomas, a bigger cornerback at 6-foot, 199 pounds, could play some safety — both because Deon Grant, who played a big role in the Giants’ three-safety packages last year, was not re-signed, and because fellow CB Aaron Ross has stated that he does not want to line up at safety any more.

Thomas, who co-captain DE Justin Tuck referred to earlier this week as a future Pro Bowler, is intent on stepping up in that third safety role if needed.

“It’s not hard at all,” Thomas said of moving between cornerback and safety. “I’ve played the nickel spot before, my rookie year and my second year. We were a little bit low in depth last year, but with the addition of Prince, Ross; Cary [Harris] being a second year on the field, I think we’ll be able to transition.”

Boss visits Oakland

According to multiple reports, TE Kevin Boss was in Oakland Wednesday night working out for the Raiders. According to various Oakland beat writer reports, Boss seemed to impress Raiders head coach Hue Jackson, though it was not clear if the unrestricted free agent had undergone a physical or received a contract offer from the Raiders before leaving their facility.

Practice Highlights:

WR Devin Thomas, whose ankle injury doesn’t appear to be serious, took the first kickoff return of practice on a short field, while rookie WR Jerrel Jernigan was second. When the team went to its actual kick return drill later in practice, Jernigan was the first returner. WR Domenik Hixon also returned some later in practice, as well.

QB Eli Manning had a very good practice, as he was on point with nearly all his passes.

WR Victor Cruz found himself on the receiving end of a few of those gems from Manning, though he also had two awful drops. The first came early in the 11-on-11 scrimmage, when Manning threw a perfect ball deep down the left side. Cruz was in position to make an over-the-shoulder catch, but the ball fell right through his hands. Later, in the 7-on-7 drill, Cruz dropped another from Manning as he went over the middle of the field.

TE Travis Beckum, who has been waiting for a role in the offense, had a strong practice. Beckum ran his routes hard, and he had two very nice catches along the right sideline. On the first, he came across the field in the 11-on-11 and did a nice job dragging his feet to secure the play action pass from Manning.
Beckum also split out wide later in practice with LB Kenny Ingram lined up across from him in coverage. When Ingram went to jam him, Beckum sidestepped it with ease and burned him downfield on a go route — though

QB Sage Rosenfels missed him completely and opted for a short pass to the flat. Coughlin was asked about Beckum possibly having a bigger role in the offense this season, and he said, “I hope so. That’s the plan.”
The reserve QBs, Rosenfels and Ryan Perrilloux, each had had up-and-down practices. Rosenfels showed touch on his deep throws, especially on one down the middle of the field to WR Darius Reynaud. He did, however, overthrow a few deep passes. Meanwhile, Perrilloux was much more erratic. He has good pocket presence, though his accuracy and decision-making left still need a lot of refinement.

DT Chris Canty knocked down a Manning pass at the line of scrimmage that got the defense pretty fired up late in the practice. Canty has spoken of taking on a bigger leadership role on the field, especially with all of the young players the Giants are trying to integrate along the line — namely fellow DTs Linval Joseph and Marvin Austin.

TE Jake Ballard was very impressive Wednesday night, hauling in about five passes. He ran his routes hard and flashed good hands on each of the receptions, but he was most noticeable after the catch. Ballad seemingly was paying extra attention to ball security, covering up very well and lowering his 6- 6, 256-lb. frame upon contact.

FB Henry Hynoski continues to show impressive hands, catching nearly everything thrown his way out of the backfield. If Bear Pascoe is moved back to tight end, the Giants would appear to be in good shape with Hynoski handling the lead blocking role.

CB Bruce Johnson was solid in coverage, knocking away a few passes and being in good position around most of the passes thrown his way.

Coughlin praised the linebackers after practice, saying, “They’ve been aggressive and noteworthy in their play. Sometimes they’re in the wrong spot or something, but they recover and they seem to be able to go and make some things happen. I like the way they’re running around.” Coughlin also said he likes the young linebackers’ attitude, adding, “I listen to the way they chip away. I like that.”
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Practice Report: August 4, 2011

08/04/2011 | Author Mike Fiammetta

The Giants returned to their outdoor practice field Thursday evening, welcoming their full slate of players back to practice, as the finally ratified CBA agreement allowed the new league year to begin.

Team player rep RT Kareem McKenzie reported that to the vote was unanimous.

“Listen, people want to go to work. Plain and simple. Ratify; go to work,” he said. “You don’t ratify, can’t go to work. Plain and simple.”

And so players such as DE Mathias Kiwanuka, RBs Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw, QB David Carr, C David Baas, P Steve Weatherford, and others were finally able to take the field for their first practice Thursday, which was in shorts and shells as per head coach Tom Coughlin’s plan.

“Once we knew about this August 4th thing, I didn’t focus on the guys not practicing,” Coughlin said. “I focused on the guys practicing. When it came down to, OK, these people are going to be available, now we’ve got to be smart about that, too. We try to be smart about everything else.”

The Giants also welcomed back a familiar face when the team announced it had re-signed DT Rocky Bernard today. It was not known under what terms Bernard agreed to, but to make room for him, the team waived/injured undrafted rookie free agent DT Martin Parker.

Injury Report

The Giants suffered their first serious injury of camp when third-year CB Bruce Johnson was carted off the field with what the team later announced was a ruptured Achilles tendon. After a knee injury forced him out of 10 games last season, Johnson will likely miss the entirety of 2011 as well. Also missing practice were WR Devin Thomas (ankle) , WR Dominik Hixon (knee), Adam Koets (PUP/knee) and WR Ramses Barden (PUP/ankle).
Hixon was held out of practice because the team is managing his comeback from a season-ending knee injury last year.

DE Osi Umenyiora also remained out of practice with what he reported to the team as being a sore knee. Umenyiora is currently locked in a contract dispute with the team that appears to have no immediate end in sight.

Practice Highlights:

Baas looked good in his first practice as a Giant, blocking well and fitting in nicely with the rest of the offensive line. He did, however have one botched exchange with QB Eli Manning.

Kiwanuka took the field at strong-side linebacker with the first-team unit, in place of Clint Sintim, who had previously occupied that spot. On one play early in the second 11-on-11 drill, Kiwanuka burst straight through the line to stop the offense’s run play before it got anywhere.

RB Brandon Jacobs received the second-team carries behind Bradshaw, who also practiced today for the first time. Bradshaw earned the first-team carries, though he and Jacobs saw nearly an equal amount. Both RBs looked to be in good shape after a lengthy time away from football.

RB Andre Brown received several carries throughout practice, curiously ahead of D.J. Ware, who had been taking the first-team reps while Bradshaw and Jacobs were unable to practice. Brown seemed explosive and quick, utilizing a nice spin move during the position drills early in practice.

Rookie WR Jerrel Jernigan, who looked shaky early in camp as a return man, seemed to have settled down. Tonight, he looked more at ease hauling in kicks and punts. He took the first punt returns of practice Thursday, while DB Aaron Ross and Ware followed.

Position battles at punter might not be typical — or intriguing — for most training camps, but the Giants figure to have one continue in that fashion throughout training camp this year. Tonight, Dodge punted first and had better hang time, but Steve Weatherford did an excellent job punting the ball out of bounds inside the 20 — something the coaches placed a high premium on.

The Giants’ WRs ran their slants drill Thursday night, and several receivers had trouble holding onto the ball. Victor Cruz — who’s had a few drops already this camp — dropped a couple, while Jernigan and Michael Clayton also struggled.

WR Hakeem Nicks had two nice catches along the left sideline Thursday. On both, he made a clear effort to drag his feet on deep passes from Manning before falling out of bounds.

CB Aaron Ross, who said that he no longer wants to be lined up at safety, made an impressive play on the ball while covering WR Mario Manningham in the first 11-on-11 drill. When Manningham cut to the sideline on an out route, Ross jumped in front and emphatically swatted the ball away.

Undrafted free agent FB Henry Hynoski continues to be impressive thus far in camp. A 6- 2, 260-lbs., prospect out of Pittsburgh, Hynoski has earned several first-ream reps at the position, sharing with incumbent Bear Pascoe.
Hynoski’s most notable attribute this far has been his pass catching out of the backfield, as he doesn’t seem to have dropped any passes.

With Mathias Kiwanuka playing the SAM with the one’s Clint Sintim slid down to the second team. He lined up next to Phillip Dillard and Kenny Ingram — one of the more impressive young linebackers so far.

Chris White, who has experience at both guard and center, lined up at center tonight. He had one botched exchange with QB Ryan Perrilloux.

Speaking of Perrilloux, he was bumped down to fourth-string QB after Carr got the third-team reps. The Giants will almost assuredly take just two quarterbacks out of training camp, so Perrilloux is in need of consistent strong performances if he has any hope of making the roster.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Practice Report: August 5, 2011
08/05/2011 | Author Mike Fiammetta

It was a day of mixed emotions for the New York Giants, who early in the morning learned that starting TE Kevin Boss had signed with the Oakland Raiders for a reported four-year, $16M contract. The Giants had hoped to get Boss back, but with that door having closed, they will move forward with Travis Beckum and Bear Pascoe as their top tight ends.

Head coach Tom Coughlin said he heard the news of Boss’ departure shortly before he was scheduled to speak with the media, terming it “disappointing.”

“We were very much involved in that,” Coughlin said of the Giants’ negotiations with Boss. “The decision is the decision. I wish him well.”

“Obviously, we would like to have him here,” he added. “We’ve got five tight ends here, they’re going to have to compete for jobs.”

Beckum, who has always been a tweener/hybrid sort of tight end and thus far has been more of a receiver than blocker, figures to get his chances early and often this training camp.

Pascoe, who bounced around between fullback and tight end last year, said earlier in the day that he’s now spending all of his time with the tight ends.

Behind them are three wild cards in Jake Ballard, Ben Patrick and Christian Hopkins. Ballard was on the team’s practice squad last year; Patrick was signed as a free agent after four years with the Arizona Cardinals and Hopkins played in the United Football League for the past two seasons.

“[Pascoe’s] bigger, he’s stronger,” Coughlin said. “Ballard, obviously, is here for that job, for one purpose [blocking]. He’s gotten a little bit better with that. We’re continuing to develop Beckum into a consistent player; [he’ll] make a great play and then make a not so good play. So the guys that are here are going to have to prove to us that we can continue and run the offense that we want to run. If we have to make adjustments, we’ll do it.”

A Prince saves the day

Better news came later in the afternoon, as first-round draft pick CB Prince Amukamara finally signed his contract — the last 2011 first-round pick to do so. Amukamara arrived at the Giants’ Timex Performance Center Friday morning after an early 5:45 AM flight to ink his four-year, $8.18M contract that contains $7,484,700 in guaranteed money.

With the financials out of the way, Amukamara can turn his full focus to the football field. In the days leading up to his signing, Coughlin’s message to the media regarding the 19th overall pick in the draft was simple — he better get in here.

“Well I think you’ve got to get him the terminology first, the understanding so that there isn’t something that he’s confused with from a verbalization standpoint,” Coughlin said. “And then you’ve just got to throw it at him. He’s got to come along. You’ll bring him to a point, and you’ll try to assess how he can help us. And then after that, it’s a continuous extra time kind of devoted to getting there as fast as he can. So he’s got a lot of classroom to make up for. You figure four hours a day since he’s been here.”

Giants Lose CB Bruce Johnson

In a return to the bitter news, Coughlin also addressed the injury situation of CB Bruce Johnson, who ruptured his Achilles tendon in practice Thursday night. Johnson was waived/injured today, and he will likely end up on injured reserve this year — after missing 10 games last year with a torn ACL.

“I’m very, very sorry; very sad,” Coughlin said. “Bruce has had two in a row, with the ACL in the knee and the Achilles. We all were stunned by it because, as often happens — which there’s really no reason it should happen — he was backpedalling, he was just doing something of that nature and all of a sudden, this occurs. Why it happens, I always ask myself that. But I feel bad for Bruce.”

Practice Highlights:

CB Prince Amukamara was on the field as promised, but participated in practice sparingly. After stretching with the team, he went off with the defensive backs to position drills but mainly observed. He also spent some time learning special teams, where coaches had to correct about him where to line up. During the 11-on-11 scrimmages, he initially watched from the sideline before being inserted in the third-string secondary. On one play, he covered WR Todd Watkins step-for-step and QB Sage Rosenfels threw to the other side of the field. Later, though, Watkins got the best of Amukamara, beating him on an in-route and making a catch 15 yards down the field, prompting one fan to shout, “That’s what holdouts get!”

DE Osi Umenyiora continued to sit out practice, once again beginning on the workout bikes with injured players WR Ramses Barden and OL Adam Koets.

Speaking of injuries, WRs Domenik Hixon (knee) and Devin Thomas (ankle) both returned to practice after sitting out the night before. Thomas did, however, suffer another injury when he dislocated his finger trying to make a catch.

CB Darnell Burks, signed earlier in the day to fill Johnson’s roster spot, practiced and wore No. 41.

The offense began position drills in a two-tight end set, with Travis Beckum and Bear Pascoe on the field. That set was used a lot throughout the practice.

The Giants have finally moved on from Plaxico Burress, having issued his No. 17 jersey to WR Michael Clayton.

Speaking of Clayton, he was one of three wide receivers that lined up with the second team. Devin Thomas and Victor Cruz were the others.

CB Aaron Ross has struggled in pass coverage so far, and this time, it was Domenik Hixon’s turn to burn him on a quick slant move inside that had Ross crossed up and falling over. Ross has also gotten some reps as a kick returner.

WR Mario Manningham was the inside receiver for the first-team offense. Hixon and Hakeem Nicks were outside.

DE Justin Tuck has had a terrific camp so far, going hard every snap and serving as the unquestioned vocal leader of the team. Friday night, he knocked one Eli Manning passes down at the line of scrimmage and made it into the backfield on several other occasions.

On the second snap of the 11-on-11s, the offense lined up without any tight ends in an I-formation. Undrafted free agent Henry Hynoski lined up at fullback.

Sage Rosenfels had a very inaccurate practice, missing high on several throws and overthrowing many of his deep passes. He continues to receive competition to newly signed David Carr and reserve/future contract signee Ryan Perrilloux.

Sixth-round pick S Tyler Sash had his first interception of camp, making a great play on a high, floating pass from Rosenfels and timing his jump perfectly. Afterward, Safeties Coach David Merritt ran over to where Sash finished the play (the opposing end zone) and congratulated him by saying, “That’s a heck of a play, Sash!”

RB Andre Brown seems to be making the most out of every opportunity he’s getting in his second stint with the team. Brown showed good hands catching dump off pass from Rosenfels and made a shifty cut up field that had the defensive players on the sideline oohing and ahhing. Brown also seems to be making a clear point to finish every run, sprinting all-out until the whistle is blown.

Practice ended on a great play by WR/KR Darius Reynaud, who made a great leaping catch on a 40-yard bomb from Manning. It looked like Reynaud was running a deep post route toward the middle of the field, and as he was running to his right, looked up and switched direction as he leaped to haul it in.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Prince broke his metatarsal and is now out for 4-8 weeks.

That's why you don't holdout!!!

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Prince broke his metatarsal and is now out for 4-8 weeks.

That's why you don't holdout!!!

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 am

Practice Report: August 6, 2011
08/06/2011 | Author Mike Fiammetta

By the end of the night, the weather was the least of the New York Giants’ worries.

Rain forced the team’s second scheduled full-pads practice inside the Timex Performance Center field house, but the news that first-round draft pick CB Prince Amukamara fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot greatly outweighed the location of practice. Amukamara will undergo surgery to have a screw inserted into his foot, and the timetable for his return is unknown.

As if that wasn’t enough, the team also learned that newly-signed TE Ben Patrick decided he no longer wants to play football. The team placed Patrick on the reserve/retired list after practice. Patrick, who was signed Monday after four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals, was expected to compete for significant playing time after Kevin Boss signed with the Oakland Raiders. Now, the team will move forward with some combination of Travis Beckum, Bear Pascoe and Jake Ballard – all somewhat unproven — at tight end.

The depth of the Giants’ secondary — considered very promising after Amukamara was drafted — now seems thin behind starters Corey Webster and Terrell Thomas, as well as nickel back Aaron Ross. Bruce Johnson, a third-year cornerback who missed ten games last season with a torn ACL, ruptured his Achilles tendon in Thursday’s practice and was waived/injured.

With the Giants down two corners, they’ll likely lean heavily on players like Brian Witherspoon and Michael Coe to provide depth to what is now a relatively young and inexperienced group of cornerbacks. The team will also will likely look to sign another cornerback to replenish the lost depth.

Sash continues to impress

One rookie who continues to garner attention is sixth-round pick S Tyler Sash. The 6-0, 223-pound former Iowa Hawkeye has shown a precocious knack for making plays around the football, and also displayed great ball skills in Friday’s practice when he tracked down a high, floating pass from QB Sage Rosenfels to snag his first interception of training camp.

Sash continued his strong play Saturday, flying all over the field. On one play, he came close to demolishing WR Michael Clayton on a pass over the middle if the drill had been full contact.

Later on, Sash smashed into another impressive rookie, 6- 2, 260-pound FB Henry Hynoski, knocking the fullback to his rear. Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and safeties coach Dave Merritt yelled Sash’s name, clearly impressed with his play.

Practice Highlights:

The injury area (or the “Tour de Osi,” as it’s been nicknamed in honor of disgruntled DE Osi Umenyiora’s presence on the workout bikes) was extra crowded Saturday. The injured players included WRs Mario Manningham (ankle), WR Domenik Hixon (knee) and WR Devin Thomas (finger); DBs Brian Jackson (back) and Cary Harris (shoulder); and LBs Clint Sintim (knee) and Spencer Paysinger (groin).

Coughlin said earlier in the day that Hixon might sit out every other practice as he strives to strengthen the knee on which he had ACL surgery on last year. Thomas, Harris and Paysinger were all expected absences having suffered injuries in the past few practices, leaving Manningham and Sintim as the lone surprises.

TE Travis Beckum continues to have good camp. Saturday night, he hauled in at least three passes, one of which was a high bullet from QB Sage Rosenfels.

The defensive backs were interesting to watch during position drills, as CB Corey Webster repeatedly yelled, “Catch them all!” during interception drills. Any dropped balls resulted in ten pushups for the offender — and yes, Webster was guilty on one drop. So was CB Prince Amukamara, though in the rookie’s case, his pass was slightly off target.

DB Brian Witherspoon has shown a knack for ending up around the ball and could be a candidate to grab one of the reserve cornerback spots. Witherspoon also has been returning some punts in camp.

WR Victor Cruz had an impressive practice, catching nearly a half-dozen passes. With Manningham and Hixon out, Cruz lined up with Nicks as the first-team receivers.

DT Linval Joseph also lined up with the first-team. Along with second-round pick DT Marvin Austin, Joseph is a competing for the nose tackle spot next to Chris Canty.

Speaking of Austin, he is showing no signs of rust after not playing any games during his final year at North Carolina. For a guy as big as he is — 6- 2, 312 pounds — Austin is explosive and disruptive. The entire defensive line seemed to have a good practice Saturday, breaking through the offensive line for multiple pressures throughout the evening. Austin was one of the most impressive in that regard.

While the first-team linebackers seem set (Michael Boley, Jonathan Goff, and Mathias Kiwanuka), the second and third units have been intriguing to watch given the number of young but inexperienced candidates. Saturday, the second-team linebackers were Clint Sintim, Phillip Dillard, and Kenny Ingram, while the third-string consisted of sixth-round rookies Jacquian Williams and Greg Jones and undrafted free agent Mark Herzlich.

Third-round draft pick WR Jerrel Jernigan explained earlier in the day how despite primarily lining up as a slot receiver, he plays on the outside as well. As a four-year starter at Troy, the explosive Jernigan lined up everywhere, though on . Saturday, he saw most of his reps at outside receiver.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Practice Report: August 7, 2011
08/07/2011 | Author Mike Fiammetta

DE Osi Umenyiora wasn’t outside… Rumors of a Steve Smith sighting persisted… CB Prince Amukamara was back on the sidelines — 1.5 practices into his professional career…

The New York Giants took the practice field Sunday with a significant uptick in the drama swirling around the team. Umenyiora, for instance, has been beginning on the workout bikes in the “injury area,” but instead stayed inside to receive treatment on his ailing knee. . Nothing out of the ordinary, but the complete absence of No. 72 from the Timex Performance Center fields was enough to get speculation going.

The supposed sightings of Smith — a free agent who is continuing to recover from offseason microfracture knee surgery — were, in fact, unfounded. However, Smith confirmed via his Facebook page that he will visit with the team early this week, presumably to try to advance stalled contract talks with the club.

And of course, Amukamara will no longer be practicing any time soon after breaking a bone in his foot midway through Saturday evening’s practice. Amukamara said Sunday that both the date of his surgery and the timetable for his recovery are unknown, though he would like to have the operation as soon as possible. Specifically, the injury is a fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot. Amukamara will have a screw inserted into the foot, and is expected to miss as much as two months.

All of this speculation and drama also comes amidst the loss of tight ends Kevin Boss and Ben Patrick. Boss signed Friday with the Oakland Raiders, while Patrick, who was signed Monday as the Giants sought to bring in insurance at the position, was placed on the reserve/retired list Saturday night due to undisclosed personal reasons.

Head coach Tom Coughlin has dealt with drama like this before, though rarely has it come this early in the season.

“We’ve got issues where we have to keep some kind of balance if you want to go ahead and continue to practice like you are,” Coughlin said. To have the three teams [offense, defense and special teams], to be able to have that kind of depth and practice the way we are; our big guys are averaging 21, 22 plays a practice, the skill guys on the back end 28, 29. We can stay on schedule with that, with a lot of snaps for everybody, but once you start picking away at it, we lose a guy here and we lose a guy there, you’re talking about starting to reduce your snaps a little.

“You start doing that, and you really have a lot of people that are going to be reduced and need the snaps to be able to play in the games and do what you want them to do. So it’s a double-edged sword.”

Coughlin did add that, despite all the issues surrounding the team, the Giants’ mindset is good.

“The players are good about that,” he said. “They’re very good about that.”

Practice Highlights:

The following players did not practice: DT Marvin Austin (hip flexor), C Jim Cordle (knee), LB Spencer Paysinger (groin), WR Devin Thomas (finger), DB Brian Jackson (back), DB Cary Harris (shoulder), K Lawrence Tynes (quad), DB Joe Burnett (hamstring), DE Osi Umenyiora (knee), WR Ramses Barden (foot) and OL Adam Koets (knee). Barden and Koets remain on the Reserve/PUP list.

With Tynes sidelined, P Matt Dodge handled kickoffs.

Officials were on the field for the first time this camp. Overall, they weren’t kept too busy — only one false start and one intentional grounding call on QB David Carr.

LB Clint Sintim was back on the field after sitting out Saturday night’s practice. He played SAM LB with the second string, alongside Phillip Dillard and Kenny Ingram.

Third-round rookie WR Jerrel Jernigan seems to be the early favorite to return kickoffs. Sunday, he once again lined up first among KRs.

WR Domenik Hixon, who confirmed Sunday that he will practice only every other day for the time being, returned to the field Sunday. He had a very impressive practice, catching the nearly half-dozen passes that were thrown his way. On two consecutive plays during 11-on-11s, Hixon slid to the ground to scoop up low passes from QB Sage Rosenfels.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Practice Report: August 8, 2011
08/08/2011 | Author Pat Traina

The new CBA has ushered in a whole new world of changes for NFL teams who have had to combine the reshaping of their roster and training camp into what’s been the most hectic summer ever on record in the league’s history.

Another one of the fallouts of the new CBA is that coaches can no longer run two-a-day practices in pads during training camp. So to compensate for that, head coach Tom Coughlin has had his players go through a morning walk through, or corrections practice and then after a series of meetings and film study, go through the longer, more physical practice in the evening.

Surprisingly, Coughlin, who’s in being a veteran coach goes back to the old days when training camps were longer and more intense, said there’s been a silver lining in the new format.

“I’ll give you an advantage. The correction thing is much greater than it’s ever been,” he said. “In two-a-days, you’re always in a hurry to get to the next one. Don’t think we did as good of a job as we possibly could with corrections. between the walk-throughs, the jog thrus, the separates in practice, we’re averaging offensive 104 snaps a day and defensively about 118, so we’re getting.

“For example on defense almost twice as many reps on the practice field so if u really understand what I am telling, the mental to the physical, so you can understand and apply yourself so you walk out to the jog thru and your mind isn’t a million miles away.”

So far Coughlin has been generally pleased with how camp has unfolded. And so far there have been several players, at least in my opinion, who have stood out, including DT Marvin Austin, S Tyler Sash, FB Henry Hynoski, and Travis Beckum.

There’s still a lot more obviously to go and with the first preseason game on the horizon, that will give a better picture of where things stand with the club but until that time, the training camp train continues to roll right along.

PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS

Corey Webster outjumped Hakeem Nicks to knock the pass from Eli Manning away. The defensive backs had a solid night and were all over the place making plays, breaking up passes, and getting home on their blitzes.

After creating a minor scare when he came up favoring his leg early in the practice, OT Will Beatty rebounded with a pretty good showing. He lined up mostly against Jason Pierre-Paul and seemed to have very little trouble handling him this evening.

I counted at least eight delay of game penalties spread among the first, second and third string offenses. At this stage of the game, you have to think that’s because they’re still trying to get their timing down, so it will be interesting to see how many they accumulate (if any) in the first preseason game.

Strong practice for FB Henry Hynoski. He laid a couple of nice blocks on a linebacker, including one that sealed off the edge and allowed RB Charles Scott to squirt around the corner and into the second level. I didn’t see him have any passes thrown his way, which I was hoping for because in my forthcoming article (coming out later tonight) on the “Rhino,” you’re going to see that he has a lot of talents that can benefit a football team, including hte type of receiving routes he’s able to run. I think the days of being able to forecast a running play whenever the Giants trot the fullback onto the field are going to be over.

I thought TE Travis Beckum had a nice practice. He separated well from the defender, looked the ball in, and managed to pick up at least five yards after the catch on the receptions he hauled in, one of which came against S Kenny Phillips, who Beckum spun around.

RB DJ Ware, going against the second-string defense, knifed through a pile of bodies, hitting what looked like a small crease to pick up some positive yardage. Good showing of vision by Ware on that play.

In the punting drills, I don’t think I saw a single Matt Dodge punt aimed for outside of the numbers. Steve Weatherford, meanwhile, was showing off his directional kicking and looked so at ease doing it. He even managed to get good height and distance on these kicks.

At one point early in the practice, after the first round of special teams drills, Weatherford was off on the side with Dodge giving him some sort of instruction, demonstrating some sort of technique to Dodge, who kept nodding his head.

Mario Manningham showed a nice burst of speed coming across the middle – he just appeared out of nowhere and was a blur.

Victor Cruz continues to have a case of the dropsies. If I’m not mistaken, he’s dropped at least one pass in each practice. Tonight he had a very catachable ball go right through his hands.

DB Michael Coe clearly got away with defensive pass interference when he bumped into the receiver (couldn’t see who it was). The play probably wouldn’t have counted as Sage Rosenfels took far too long to snap the ball and the buzzer sounded, just one of several “delay of game” incidents this evening by my estimation.

Terrell Thomas picked off an Eli Manning pass intended for Mario Manningham. I believe that was Thomas’ second pick of the camp.

Duke Calhoun was flagged for offensive pass interference against a receiver. Having come from the annual training camp presentation by the officials before practice, most of the media, including yours truly, called it before the flag hit the ground.

Ryan Perrilloux has a nice strong arm, but his accuracy still leaves something to be desired. He overthrew a couple of receiver. Then on another play, Perrilloux must have heard footsteps or something because he quickly darted out of the pocket and rolled to his right, completely ignoring the fact that he had two receivers open on the left side.

Antrel Rolle continued the defensive backfield’s strong night by picking off a pass intended for Bear Pascoe. Good job by Rolle to jump the route and get in front of the much taller Pascoe to make the play.

Good cut to the outside by RB Charles Scott who picked up about four yards.

Mathias Kiwanuka, lining up at SAM, broke through the lien cleanly and would have easily had a sack.; I don’t think an offensive lineman put a hand on Kiwi on that play.

The first team offensive line also gave up another sack, this one on a jailbreak. Hard to tell exactly where the pressure originated from, but there were an awful lot of blue shirts in the backfield in a hurry.

INJURY REPORT

Players missing practice this evening included DT Marvin Austin (hip flexor strain), DE Osi Umenyiora (knee), WR Devin Thomas (finger), C Jim Cordle (knee), LB Spencer Paysinger (groin), S Brian Jackson (back), CB Joe Burnett (hamstring) and WR Sam Giguere (groin). Rookie OT James Brewer left practice early with a lower leg injury. WR Domenik Hixon, who is sitting out about every other practice so his surgically-repaired knee, sat out. S Cary Harris (shoulder) returned to practice.

CHANGE IN PRACTICE SCHEDULE

The Giants are off on Tuesday, but for Wednesday and Thursday, the team has announced that it has moved its practice from the 6-8 PM slot to 2-4PM. Practice will still be open to the public on those days and there will be no charge to attend.

BLUE NOTES

* Coughlin said not to read into anything with S Kenny Phillips not taking reps with the first team defense in last night’s practice. Eyebrows were raised when Phillips was on the sideline and in his place while rookie Tyler Sash was taking the reps. The reason for that? The Giants decided to cut back on Phillips’ reps a bit as so he doesn’t overwork his surgically repaired knee from a couple of years ago.

*WR Michael Clayton switched back from 17 to his old 83, last worn by TE Ben Patrick. QB Ryan Perrilloux was given #17.

* Linebackers coach Jim Herrmann confirmed that Mathias Kiwanuka will be the starting SAM linebacker on first and second down. That is obviously bad news for third-year man Clint Sintim, the former second round draft pick who had hoped to show the team he ws ready for fulltime duty this year.

* WR Steve Smith arrived for his meeting with the Giants tonight. He was originally supposed to come in on Tuesday. Smith confirmed last evening on his Facebook page that he was headed east to meet with the Giants to presumably discuss a new contract.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down