TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Fewell expecting a breakout season from Phillips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fewell expecting a breakout season from Phillips

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Fewell Expects “Quantum Leap” From Phillips, Ross Ready, too
August 1st, 2011 JW Posted in Main

Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is expecting big things from his defense this season. He’s expecting even bigger things from his fourth year safety Kenny Phillips as well. “I’m looking for him to take a quantum leap,” Fewell said. “After coming off his injury and playing in the 2010 season, as a coach, I will admit that I protected him a little bit. I wanted Kenny to be on the field, I wanted him to play for us. “Football is a violent game and I tried to minimize the collisions that he encountered last year. He showed his football intelligence in the two days of camp. He’s ready for that bigger role as we have talked. I ‘m looking for big things.”

Kenny Phillips believes it’s his time to shine, too. I wasn’t as explosive as I thought I would be,” when talking about last season. “A lot of guys were telling me it’s going to take a year. I was doing my best to try to prove them wrong, but it turns out they were right. “But fortunately, I was able to finish the season. I had a few nicks here and there, but I was happy I got through it.” The knee seems to be fine now, according to Phillips. “It’s fine,” Phillips said. “It’s been a while since I even had to see the doctor. Everything’s great.… I feel normal, I feel pretty good. The knee is not an issue.”

Giants CB Aaron Ross feels good. He’s ready to play cornerback again, too, not safety. Don’t even ask him to play safety, Ross says. ”I’m not willing to do safety anymore, wouldn’t entertain it.” ”I was injured last year and they always need someone to step in and potentially be a starter on the field,” Ross said.

Ross doesn’t believe the addition of first-round pick Prince Amukamara’s addition will diminish his role. He believes so many teams play four wide receivers that depth at cornerback is necessary. ”Last year, our team was pretty fortunate that Terrell [Thomas] and Corey [Webster] stayed healthy,” Ross said. “Previous years, Sam [Madison] went down, I went down. It’s always good to have that type of depth.” Ross feels so good, he even hopes to get a chance to punt return again this season.

We will have training camp updates from tonight, include links to all the beat writers reports. If your heading out to the stadium tonight, take cover. It’s supposed to rain!
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top