TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Should we trade for RB Jonathon Stewart?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should we trade for RB Jonathon Stewart?

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:02 pm

The Panthers are reportedly shopping Jonathan Stewart, having aquired Mike Tolbert cheaply.

Stewart is in the last year of his rookie deal, so it is effectively a one year $1,311,250 deal.

Stewart is 25, has been pretty durable, playing in 62 out of 64 games. He has a career 3497 rushing yards, 26 TDs, with an average of 4.83/carry plus he has

Should Reese consider making a deal for Stewart?
he seems like the ideal option to replace Jacobs and unlike Jacobs, he is a genuine weapon in the passing game (last year he had 47 receptions for 413 yds, 1 TD..

With his contract situation Stewart is probably worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Another potential option could be trading Umenyiora for Stewart (perhaps also flippimg 3rd round picks).

Any thoughts?
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Should we trade for RB Jonathon Stewart?

Post  Pizan on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:57 pm

I would be all for it but other teams will be in the hunt as well like Green Bay and Denver. If the price went higher than a 3rd I wouldn't do it. They may want a receiver instead. Maybe JJ or Barden and a late pick for Stewart? We could still bring back Jacobs without giving up anything so I couldn't imagine Reese wanting to give a lot. Osi for Stewart, only way I think about it is if a swap of 3rds is involved.

Good RBs are too easy to find. Yea, we currently have a need with Jacobs off the roster and Brashaws foot/ankle problems but Jacobs or a early-mid round pick could easily be added.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:40 am

Definately would seem like an ideal Jacobs replacement with still youth and experience.

A third rounder would be worth it or a trade for another Giants player.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Big_Pete wrote:The Panthers are reportedly shopping Jonathan Stewart, having aquired Mike Tolbert cheaply.

Stewart is in the last year of his rookie deal, so it is effectively a one year $1,311,250 deal.

Stewart is 25, has been pretty durable, playing in 62 out of 64 games. He has a career 3497 rushing yards, 26 TDs, with an average of 4.83/carry plus he has

Should Reese consider making a deal for Stewart?
he seems like the ideal option to replace Jacobs and unlike Jacobs, he is a genuine weapon in the passing game (last year he had 47 receptions for 413 yds, 1 TD..

With his contract situation Stewart is probably worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Another potential option could be trading Umenyiora for Stewart (perhaps also flippimg 3rd round picks).

Any thoughts?

I would not trade Osi for Stewart, as I think Osi is probably worth a 2nd round pick by himself. I would gladly pay a 3rd rounder for Stewart. He is an exciting back who can carry a heavy load. I have to disclose that I went to Oregon for law school, GO DUCKS, so I am biased when it comes to alum like Stewart, but he is a solid back.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Well looks like thats outta the question, Panthers traded Goodson.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:59 am

who else is left that would fit the Giants?
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:34 am

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:who else is left that would fit the Giants?

Ryan Grant
Tim Hightower
Justin Forsett
Jacob Hester
Owen Schmitt

then there is Marcel Reece (RFA), he seems like a good fit for us as a third down RB.
He is a bit of a hybrid RB/FB/TE. In the last two years he has 27 cariies, 234 yds, ave 5.0, 1 TD on the ground and 52 rec, 634 yds, 12,2 ave, 5 TDs.
As a former undrafted free agent, we can sign him for no comp, but Oakland can match the offer. We could offer a 6/7 round pick for him.

and of course Matthew Forte who still is having trouble working out a deal.

Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:35 am

With Andre Brown suspended for 4 games, RB just became a bigger priority
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:04 am

Big_Pete wrote:With Andre Brown suspended for 4 games, RB just became a bigger priority

I don;t think Brown was a big part of the plan, but it is a priority. I say we take a passrusher, some OL depth, a secondary ball hawk, a WR and a RB in the first 4 rounds. We have 5 picks in the first 140, so maybe I can dream.

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:43 pm

Sect128Mike wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:With Andre Brown suspended for 4 games, RB just became a bigger priority

I don;t think Brown was a big part of the plan, but it is a priority. I say we take a passrusher, some OL depth, a secondary ball hawk, a WR and a RB in the first 4 rounds. We have 5 picks in the first 140, so maybe I can dream.

I think Brown was part of the backup plan if Jacobs left, after all the front office liked him enough to draft him in round 4, then bring him back to the practice squad. I think it is fair to say Reese and co like this kid.

Also we often tke 4 RBs into the season. We have Bradshaw who cant stay healthy despite being in rotation. Ware who has potential but hasn't lived up to it despite lots of opportunity and Scott who has plenty of ability but is very raw.

Seems like it is a real problem to me. If Bradshaw goes out with injury are you ok with only Ware and Scott at RB?
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:46 pm

It seems NYG was one of three teams that looked into the availability of Stewart prior to the Goodson trade.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:06 pm

Big_Pete wrote:
Sect128Mike wrote:

I think Brown was part of the backup plan if Jacobs left, after all the front office liked him enough to draft him in round 4, then bring him back to the practice squad. I think it is fair to say Reese and co like this kid.

Also we often tke 4 RBs into the season. We have Bradshaw who cant stay healthy despite being in rotation. Ware who has potential but hasn't lived up to it despite lots of opportunity and Scott who has plenty of ability but is very raw.

Seems like it is a real problem to me. If Bradshaw goes out with injury are you ok with only Ware and Scott at RB?

No. Scott is a fast kid, but he can't block me, let alone an nfl player. He just is there for his speed and open field running. He is not a true carrying threat. JR likes Brown, you are right, but I don't see it. I say we draft a RB and bring in some depth to push at camp from vets.

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Sect128Mike wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:
Sect128Mike wrote:

No. Scott is a fast kid, but he can't block me, let alone an nfl player. He just is there for his speed and open field running. He is not a true carrying threat. JR likes Brown, you are right, but I don't see it. I say we draft a RB and bring in some depth to push at camp from vets.

Most rookie RBs have problems with reading NFL defenses and blocking.

I have little doubt we will address RB some how, we will likely bring in a rookie through the draft or as an undrafted free agent. But I get the feeling that Reese wants to bring in a solid veteran.
It isn't likely to be a big name, but a solid vet would really help. I wouldn't completely rule out a trade either.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Big_Pete wrote:
Sect128Mike wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:
Sect128Mike wrote:

Most rookie RBs have problems with reading NFL defenses and blocking.

I have little doubt we will address RB some how, we will likely bring in a rookie through the draft or as an undrafted free agent. But I get the feeling that Reese wants to bring in a solid veteran.
It isn't likely to be a big name, but a solid vet would really help. I wouldn't completely rule out a trade either.

Scott's problem is not his experience or age, its size and strength. He makes Spoles look like a giant. He is tiny. LaMichael James is probably the besrt athlete in this draft, but he will never be an every down player due to his size. You can't teach size. With Scott, its just not there.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:57 am

Rookie RB's have the easiest transition to the pros of all positions. I could see us seeing how the draft plays out and if we don't get a rookie bringing in a vet like Ced Benson. Either way a RB has to be added. Scott has the speed to contribute as a returner but I havent seen the skillset to contribute as a RB. Ware is a jack of all trades master of none. On a good team he's a #3 rb not a #2.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:55 am

I am intrigued by Rutgers FB Joe Martinek in the 7th round, he seems like a good fit.

He has played in 49 games, 391 carries for 1,770, 4.5 average, 17 TDs
46 Receptions, 448 yds, 1 TD

from http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Joe Martinek, FB, (5-11 1/2, 224) Martinek ran the 40-yard dash in 4.50 seconds both times. He is very, very fast; he ran the first 10 yards of the 40 in 1.5 seconds, or a full tenth of a second faster than Sanu. He recorded a 32-1/2-inch vertical, a 9-8 broad jump, a 4.21-second short shuttle, a 6.87-second three-cone and did 26 strength lifts. He will be a seventh-round pick or priority free agent.

Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:10 am

Jersey Joe was a very good High School RB. Jersey's all time leading rusher. He was a very good ST's player for Rutgers. I think he'll make an NFL roster because if he doesn't make it at RB/FB he could be an exceptional ST's player and possibly make the switch to Defense. I'd imagine Tampa Bay making a play at him as an UDFA.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top