TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Jason Witten comments on Martellus Bennett

3 posters

Go down

Jason Witten comments on Martellus Bennett Empty Jason Witten comments on Martellus Bennett

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14 pm

An except of an article from giants.com

Tight end Jason Witten represented the Dallas Cowboys at the uniform unveiling. He was asked about new Giants tight end Martellus Bennett, who played his first four seasons as Witten's teammate in Dallas.

"I think he has a bright future ahead of him," Witten said. "Although his career hasn't gone as he had hoped, I think he'll do a good job. Mike Pope is a really good tight ends coach and will help Martellus a lot. Martellus is a very talented player."
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Jason Witten comments on Martellus Bennett Empty Re: Jason Witten comments on Martellus Bennett

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm

I am looking forward to seeing how Bennett goes, I really think he could excell.

He will be motivated to work hard and Pope knows his stuff.

We have done well with guys like Boss and Ballard but Bennett has better physical tools and much more potential.

Coughlin's system will sort out any attitude issues, as has been done with other players.

Don't be surprised if Bennett has a break out season.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Jason Witten comments on Martellus Bennett Empty Re: Jason Witten comments on Martellus Bennett

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 am

He graded out as one of the best blocking TE's last season. He was the one free agent I really wanted. I think he'll do very well for us.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:08 am

One thing I did hear was that he sometimes he has a case of the dropsies. We had enough of that two seasons ago with Eli's receivers.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 pm

More from Witten about Bennett
from http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/13571/witten-martellus-a-good-fit-with-giants

Witten: Martellus a good fit with GiantsApril, 4, 2012
Apr 412:55PM ET
By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPNNewYork.com

Martellus Bennett spent years learning from Dallas' stellar tight end Jason Witten.

Now Witten says Bennett is ready to display his potential and upside with the Giants.

"Martellus is a great guy," Witten told reporters at the Nike NFL uniform launch on Tuesday. "There’s been a lot said about his career. But I know he’s excited for a fresh start. He’s got a lot of ability, he’s learned a lot over the years and I think he’s excited about where he’s at in his career."

Bennett signed a one-year deal with the Giants in hopes of proving what he can do as a starter after playing behind Witten. He will have every opportunity to prove himself with Travis Beckum and Jake Ballard recovering from ACL knee surgeries.

Beckum tweeted on Wednesday that he was told he might be able to return by the season opener. Typically ACL recoveries can take nine months up to a year and the Giants have said that Beckum and Ballard could start the season on the PUP list.

"Just seen the Doc..best news I heard in awhile!!!," Beckum tweeted. "Very good chance I will be back by the start of the season!!"

While that would certainly be a bonus for the Giants, they still have to prepare as if they will be without Beckum and Ballard for some time. Witten has played the Giants enough to know their system and how they use tight ends and he thinks Bennett will fit in well.

"I think he fits that offense in a lot of ways," Witten said. "I think his confidence was probably shaken a little bit in Dallas. Few plays, his numbers were limited, so I’m sure that’s a part of it. He’s a good blocker, he’s a good underneath route runner, he’s big so he can catch the ball. I think, more than anything, getting his confidence back and getting a fresh start will do a lot for his career. Definitely a lot of upside."

Witten also thinks the Giants coaching staff, specifically tight ends coach Mike Pope, will bring out the best in Bennett.

"Ultimately, when I found out he was going to the Giants, I wished him congratulations because I know he kind of fits that power offense and Mike Pope is one of the best tight ends coaches there is," Witten said. "Anybody who plays the position knows that about him. He does a good job of eliminating distractions and allowing his players to be the best."

"I think [Pope has] done that for many, many years, going back to [Jeremy] Shockey and taking a guy like Ballard who’s undrafted and getting him to play at a high level," Witten added. "So a key component in that is Mike and that system. Coach [Tom] Coughlin, no tolerance for any of that stuff. If you leave those distractions aside, Martellus is going to do a good job."
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down