TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Bill Polian Calls New York Giants GM Jerry Reese “One of the Best” in NFL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bill Polian Calls New York Giants GM Jerry Reese “One of the Best” in NFL

Post  Sect128Mike on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 am

The ultimate measure of a man and his success is determined by how he's viewed amongst his peers. In the case of New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese, he can safely consider himself quite successful.

Although he's often criticized by fans for his lack of big free agent splashes and a conservative draft approach, Reese continues to grind away, doing what he believes is the best thing for his team. His track record, and those two Lombardi Trophy's, speak for themselves. However, the accolades aside, it's the respect he commands from others across the league that really details just how good he is at his job.

"Jerry Reese is one of the best, if not the best general manager in the NFL," said Bill Polian, former Indianapolis Colts Vice-President of Football Operations and General Manager.

And as if words weren't enough, it's the actions taken by Polian that really tell the full story of his respect for Reese.
See more at:
http://www.giants101.com/2012/04/09/bill-polian-calls-new-york-giants-gm-jerry-reese-one-of-the-best-in-nfl/

Overall, I am a big JR fan. I love what he has done, which is continue to maximize return on the dollars and draft picks. He never loses his head, even with the Osi situation blowing up early last season and the cap issues. I think he is great and I am glad other GMs feel that way too.

Back to top Go down

Re: Bill Polian Calls New York Giants GM Jerry Reese “One of the Best” in NFL

Post  Pizan on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Yea he's very good at finding talent but lets face it. We were still a 9-7 team last year with one of the worst defenses and running games in the NFL. If Eli didn't have that breakout year we were probably a 6-10 football team at best.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:17 am

Pizan wrote:Yea he's very good at finding talent but lets face it. We were still a 9-7 team last year with one of the worst defenses and running games in the NFL. If Eli didn't have that breakout year we were probably a 6-10 football team at best.

Sure, but how much of that was do to a massive number of injuries that would have derailed the playoffs for teams not as deep as the Giants at DE and in the secondary.

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:51 am

Alot of our defensive issues related to injuries.

Our secondary is quite solid when healthy, but the key factor is that our defense is built around an effective passrush. With injuries to Tuck and Osi we couldn't get the kind of consistent pass rush we needed.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:08 am

Big_Pete wrote:Alot of our defensive issues related to injuries.

Our secondary is quite solid when healthy, but the key factor is that our defense is built around an effective passrush. With injuries to Tuck and Osi we couldn't get the kind of consistent pass rush we needed.

Exactly, which is why JR drafted JPP and will probably draft a pass-rusher in the first 2 rounds this year. He has long been proven right that you can never have enough great pass rushers. Injuries are sometimes impossible to overcome, but drafting depth helps. While many teams would have folded, the Giants were deep enough to contend for the division and make the playoffs. That has to be the goal every year. I think JR has proved himself to be one of the best GMs in the game, and his 2 SBs in his first 5 years are tough to argue.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:42 am

Sorry guys, not buying it. Other teams suffer injuries as well. And to be honest with JPP, Kiwi, and Tolley we had more than enough to help us get by those 4 or 5 games Osi/Tuck missed. We got torched all season long. Had Eli not had the stellar season he did have, we don't sniff the playoffs. Not taking anything away from JR, he's done well and he's certainly deserving of the recognition but best in the game? Lets make the playoffs consecutive years and then we'll talk. But I compare it to saying Coughlin is the best coach in the league.. Granted he's one of the best and worthy of the recognition because of his two superbowls but he isn't the best.. not yet.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:11 am

Pizan wrote:Sorry guys, not buying it. Other teams suffer injuries as well. And to be honest with JPP, Kiwi, and Tolley we had more than enough to help us get by those 4 or 5 games Osi/Tuck missed. We got torched all season long. Had Eli not had the stellar season he did have, we don't sniff the playoffs. Not taking anything away from JR, he's done well and he's certainly deserving of the recognition but best in the game? Lets make the playoffs consecutive years and then we'll talk. But I compare it to saying Coughlin is the best coach in the league.. Granted he's one of the best and worthy of the recognition because of his two superbowls but he isn't the best.. not yet.

Not buying what? that our secondary was terrible last year. Okay, we all know that the No 1 CB missed the season, the first rounder expected to be the No. 3 missed half the season and the two guys brought in for depth missed the season. Thats pretty tough to overcome, yet they did it and won the SB! Thats exactly my point. Other teams suffer injuries and fold up, the Giants did not. they remained competitive all season and won the SB, despite the injuries. They did it because JR built a deep team that could survive several serious injuries.

Rating people is impossible. No one can really say who the best QB or the best RB is, because situations are different. Its fun to talk about though. IMO, JR is clearly one of the top GMs. I can not say for certain anyone is better, and he may well be the best. Certainly one of the best.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 am

Sect128Mike wrote:
Pizan wrote:Sorry guys, not buying it. Other teams suffer injuries as well. And to be honest with JPP, Kiwi, and Tolley we had more than enough to help us get by those 4 or 5 games Osi/Tuck missed. We got torched all season long. Had Eli not had the stellar season he did have, we don't sniff the playoffs. Not taking anything away from JR, he's done well and he's certainly deserving of the recognition but best in the game? Lets make the playoffs consecutive years and then we'll talk. But I compare it to saying Coughlin is the best coach in the league.. Granted he's one of the best and worthy of the recognition because of his two superbowls but he isn't the best.. not yet.

Not buying what? that our secondary was terrible last year. Okay, we all know that the No 1 CB missed the season, the first rounder expected to be the No. 3 missed half the season and the two guys brought in for depth missed the season. Thats pretty tough to overcome, yet they did it and won the SB! Thats exactly my point. Other teams suffer injuries and fold up, the Giants did not. they remained competitive all season and won the SB, despite the injuries. They did it because JR built a deep team that could survive several serious injuries.

Rating people is impossible. No one can really say who the best QB or the best RB is, because situations are different. Its fun to talk about though. IMO, JR is clearly one of the top GMs. I can not say for certain anyone is better, and he may well be the best. Certainly one of the best.

We played the season on the same CB tandem we won the superbowl with in 07. At what point do you start giving the coaches credit? They're the ones that had to deal with the mess... If Eli doesn't have that type of season we don't come close to the postseason. There's no way I'm convinced otherwise. Sorry Mike. I was one of Eli's biggest critics, these guys can tell you that but last year what he did was save our ass. No running game to speak of and a defense ranked last.. Yea I think its safe to say Eli made Reese look pretty damn good.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:35 am

Pizan wrote:
Sect128Mike wrote:

We played the season on the same CB tandem we won the superbowl with in 07. At what point do you start giving the coaches credit? They're the ones that had to deal with the mess... If Eli doesn't have that type of season we don't come close to the postseason. There's no way I'm convinced otherwise. Sorry Mike. I was one of Eli's biggest critics, these guys can tell you that but last year what he did was save our ass. No running game to speak of and a defense ranked last.. Yea I think its safe to say Eli made Reese look pretty damn good.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I am not in any way knocking Eli, but that TEAM won last year. The WRs, the TEs that JR found that no one else wanted, the O-Line that may have sucked on the run but was one of the top in pass protection and those terrible RBs who are universally respected for their blocking, well they had a little something to do with Eli have the great season.

Why does saying JR is great mean that I am not giving the coaches the credit. Why are you gving the coaches the credit instead of JR. Why can't I say that JR is a great GM, one of the best, AND the Giants coaches also had an AMAZING year. They are not mutually exclusive you know. JR put together team depth that allowed his coaching staff to win the SB. Its the playuers, coaches, and the front office all doing great work.

I think its safe to say without JR, Eli is still thought of as an average QB who won a SB in a single great game. Instead, JR put the pieces around him on the offense to maximize his athletic and intellectual gifts and ELi showed the world what he can do when the offense is designed around him and the pass. I think its safe to say that everyone deserves credit and no one should be slighted for Eli's performance last year.

No the defense, was held together with bubblegum and scotch tape. They knew going into the season it was the weak point on the team. But JR assembled depth and a pass rush that let them compete with everyone in the league. The coaching staff maximized their play and the players stepped up. I credit all and discredit none. Next year, the defense will be healthy and far better.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top