TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates
 

Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Sect128Mike on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:20 am

Lots of talk that this is basically a done deal and they are only haggling over the price. He is a solid prospect with a bad injury history. He was on his way to be the rookie of the year in 08 when Hines Ward broke his jaw with a viscous crack back block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPbraVljIrc

Since then he has never played a full season and missed all of last year with a wrist injury. He has a cheap option for next year at $2M and is owed $2.4 this season, so its not going to break the cap if the Giants get him, but they will have to move around some more money to do it.

My only concern is that he is really just a WILL LB and we have a few of those. He has the potential to be the best LB on the roster, if he can stay healthy, but what do we do with Boley. I guess move him to the middle. Anyway, its a cheap move. I would not pay more that a 4th, maybe a 3rd if his medical evaluation on the wrist is perfect.

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:51 am

This would be an interesting move. It would free us up of a lot of options.
I could see Rivers being versatile enough to play mike or will and maybe moving Kiwi back to end.
Boley in the middle has been mentioned before. Although I don't think he's your traditional thumper that you would want trying to stop the run, but let's face it, this has become more of a passing league anyways.
avatar
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Sect128Mike on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:27 am

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:This would be an interesting move. It would free us up of a lot of options.
I could see Rivers being versatile enough to play mike or will and maybe moving Kiwi back to end.
Boley in the middle has been mentioned before. Although I don't think he's your traditional thumper that you would want trying to stop the run, but let's face it, this has become more of a passing league anyways.

Thats true TOdd. Some think the LB is really just a two position corps now, with the nickel and safeties playing more often than all three LBs. I like the trade if its only a 4th, less if its a 3rd, but I would still do it.

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Pizan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Well they are saying its just about a sure thing. The trade will happen its just compensation. My guess is a 5th round pick at best considering the eagles just traded a 4th for a probowl LB.

Its hard to count on a player like Rivers but it would be nice to have someone of his potential in the mix. He has his glaring weaknesses though. For one, this guy sucks at staying healthy. Lets hope a fresh start and change of scenery can erase that injury-prone tag. Also, Rivers is a horrible tackler. In 2010, Rivers graded out to being one of the worst tackling LBs in the entire league.

The next question would be who moves to the middle, Rivers or Boley? Boley knows the defense but Rivers has the body type for it. Or does Rivers slide to strong side and Kiwi moves back to end? Reese couldn't just make it easy on us could he...
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Pizan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:36 pm

And a 5th round pick it is.
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Sect128Mike on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Pizan wrote:And a 5th round pick it is.

Thats a good deal. This kid is still young and can play, if healthy. I hope the change of scenery agrees with him. I think this wraps up LB for us. Now, OL please!

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Pizan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Rivers contract voids after this year. It will be interesting to see how the Giants handle that as well.
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Pizan wrote:Rivers contract voids after this year. It will be interesting to see how the Giants handle that as well.
Much like the Martellus Bennett signing.
I'm still excited to see what J. Williams, Herzlich, and Jones can do with another year under the system. The Rivers signing at the very least provides another year of tutelage to these younger guys.
avatar
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:26 am

This is a nice move.

I am sure the giants medical staff will be all over it and if he checks out ok he is a steal. Basically he has a year to prove he is healthy.

It probably means Boley slides inside to MLB which Reese has mentioned as a possibility.
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Big_Pete on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm

The reaction from fans interesting. I actually though around the idea of trading for Rivers last year (along with Aaron Curry) for a late round pick on a few message with little enthusiastic reception from fans.

It is good to see people behind this move.
:-)
avatar
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Pizan on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:55 am

Big_Pete wrote:The reaction from fans interesting. I actually though around the idea of trading for Rivers last year (along with Aaron Curry) for a late round pick on a few message with little enthusiastic reception from fans.

It is good to see people behind this move.
:-)

I remember your interest in Curry... Rivers not so much. But honestly in your 2,000 some mock offseason plans you put out each year its tough to keep track of all the players you want to trade for. lol.

I have my mixed feelings about it. I'm excited he cost just a 5th round pick (thats nearly a 6th) but hopefully we get his contract reworked which I have a feeling we will. He needs to stay healthy (which is outta his control for the most part) and also work on his tackling (which he can control).
avatar
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro


View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Sect128Mike on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:12 am

Pizan wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:The reaction from fans interesting. I actually though around the idea of trading for Rivers last year (along with Aaron Curry) for a late round pick on a few message with little enthusiastic reception from fans.

It is good to see people behind this move.
:-)

I remember your interest in Curry... Rivers not so much. But honestly in your 2,000 some mock offseason plans you put out each year its tough to keep track of all the players you want to trade for. lol.

I have my mixed feelings about it. I'm excited he cost just a 5th round pick (thats nearly a 6th) but hopefully we get his contract reworked which I have a feeling we will. He needs to stay healthy (which is outta his control for the most part) and also work on his tackling (which he can control).

I doubt they will rework his deal. Its a one year rental for $2.3M. He is playing for a long term deal somewhere, which is pretty good incentive for him to turn it up a notch.

Back to top Go down

Re: Giants in talks with Bengals to trade for LB Keith Rivers

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum