TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Will Osi be traded?

4 posters

Go down

Will Osi be traded? Empty Will Osi be traded?

Post  Big_Pete Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Umenyiora wouldn’t be surprised if he and the Giants go their separate ways this offseason. He also recently said he isn't prepared to be a back up. At the moment Osi is saying and doing the right things from a front office point of view, but could this be because he knows things are in the works behind the scenes?

Jerry Reese will only trade Osi if he gets what we believe is percieved value for him. After all we would likely get a 3rd round compensaton pick should Osi leave in free agency next offseason.

Osi's trade value is high. Osi is healthy and coming of his huge postseason performance. He is a unique talent, who can do things others other edge rushers can't.

The recent signing of Rivers, could well allow Kiwanuka to return to DE (where he is better suited). Do you think this a sign we are thinking of trading Osi?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Will Osi be traded? Empty Re: Will Osi be traded?

Post  Pizan Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Definitely, Pete. I think he'll be traded either right before the draft or on draft day. I listed this before as one of the ways we can improve our defense and thats trade Osi and move Kiwi from LB back to DE. From a pass rushing stand point Kiwi can match Osi, defending the run, Kiwi is much better. This also gets rid of Kiwi being a liability in space and makes our defense less predictable. Also, I expect to see us add a DE before the draft or draft one. Obviously we put a high priority on pass rushers and Kiwi is off the books in a year.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Pizan wrote:Definitely, Pete. I think he'll be traded either right before the draft or on draft day. I listed this before as one of the ways we can improve our defense and thats trade Osi and move Kiwi from LB back to DE. From a pass rushing stand point Kiwi can match Osi, defending the run, Kiwi is much better. This also gets rid of Kiwi being a liability in space and makes our defense less predictable. Also, I expect to see us add a DE before the draft or draft one. Obviously we put a high priority on pass rushers and Kiwi is off the books in a year.

I also think it is very possible.

But I also think it possible we could move Kiwi to DE and keep Osi; rotating them all in and out. We could also use Tuck inside at DT a little more, remember Reese is concerned about our DT depth, perhaps this is one of his plans.

This year's DE class is thin.

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:10 am

I agree but moving Tuck into DT should only be for certain packages. I think its possible Sintim is moved down along with Kiwi.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:22 am

Big_Pete wrote:Umenyiora wouldn’t be surprised if he and the Giants go their separate ways this offseason. He also recently said he isn't prepared to be a back up. At the moment Osi is saying and doing the right things from a front office point of view, but could this be because he knows things are in the works behind the scenes?

Jerry Reese will only trade Osi if he gets what we believe is percieved value for him. After all we would likely get a 3rd round compensaton pick should Osi leave in free agency next offseason.

Osi's trade value is high. Osi is healthy and coming of his huge postseason performance. He is a unique talent, who can do things others other edge rushers can't.

The recent signing of Rivers, could well allow Kiwanuka to return to DE (where he is better suited). Do you think this a sign we are thinking of trading Osi?

The Giants won't get a 3rd for Osi if they lose him. Compensatory draft picks for free agents are based on a combination of salary, playing time and postseason honors, plus are offset by the value of free agents signed. SO if the Giants lose Osi but sign a probowler and a starter, they probably get nothing at all. But Third rounders with no offset go to players lost like Nnamdi Asomugha, who garnered a third for Oakland. Osi is just not in the same class. Osi does not even start, plays maybe 40-50% of the defensive snaps and hasn't had a pro-bowl selection in 6 years. Plus, he is not going to get anywhere near a top salary when he leaves. He is just not the type of FA that gets you a 3rd. I would be happy to get a 4th for him as compensation, but I suspect it would be a 5th. He is just not the type of player that the comp system was designed to reward.
Sect128Mike
Sect128Mike
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:27 am

I would probably keep Osi this season and honor his contract.
But much of that feeling depends on how he treats the offseason programs.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sect128Mike Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:13 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:I would probably keep Osi this season and honor his contract.
But much of that feeling depends on how he treats the offseason programs.

That I agree with 100%. My feelings on him have been colored negatively by his childish antics. I just don;t want him around if he is going to be a problem in the locker room and hold back the defense by sitting the offseason and holding out. If he is gonna play hard and be quiet, I would love him, but I doubt that will happen.
Sect128Mike
Sect128Mike
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Sect128Mike wrote:
Big_Pete wrote:Umenyiora wouldn’t be surprised if he and the Giants go their separate ways this offseason. He also recently said he isn't prepared to be a back up. At the moment Osi is saying and doing the right things from a front office point of view, but could this be because he knows things are in the works behind the scenes?

The Giants won't get a 3rd for Osi if they lose him. Compensatory draft picks for free agents are based on a combination of salary, playing time and postseason honors, plus are offset by the value of free agents signed. SO if the Giants lose Osi but sign a probowler and a starter, they probably get nothing at all. But Third rounders with no offset go to players lost like Nnamdi Asomugha, who garnered a third for Oakland. Osi is just not in the same class. Osi does not even start, plays maybe 40-50% of the defensive snaps and hasn't had a pro-bowl selection in 6 years. Plus, he is not going to get anywhere near a top salary when he leaves. He is just not the type of FA that gets you a 3rd. I would be happy to get a 4th for him as compensation, but I suspect it would be a 5th. He is just not the type of player that the comp system was designed to reward.

Pass Rushers are a premium and Osi will get a big payday, he is an elite pass rusher. He has another maybe 5 years or so left in him. I could see Osi getting a well strructured 4 year, $30mil+ deal

We got a 4th comp for Cofield (Baas and Boss pretty much offset)
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down