TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Narrowing Down #32

3 posters

Go down

Narrowing Down #32 Empty Narrowing Down #32

Post  Pizan Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:47 pm

List two players that you would like the Giants to consider with the 32 overall selection. At this point we have a pretty good idea who will be available. Lets not repeat choices (we have 4 active members, lets have 8 different prospects).

My Top Two Choices:

Alshon Jeffrey WR South Carolina - Before the season he was a potential top 10 player. His knock -- he doesn't get enough separation, but honestly he doesn't need much of it. There wasn't a jump ball I didn't see him come down with or at least get his hands on. I'd like to see us give Barden and J.J. a shot but Jeffrey has #1 WR potential. If still available at this point, its hard not to argue he's not the best on the board.

Donta Hightower MLB Alabama - Excellent stopping the run and pressuring the QB. With two athletic OLBs in Boley and Rivers, Hightower would be the perfect compliment. His Knock -- he's too slow for a 4-3 defense but do some youtube scouting you'll see he has more than enough speed. MLB is possibly our greatest position of need, Hightower would have an immediate impact.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Narrowing Down #32 Empty Re: Narrowing Down #32

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:34 am

My thoughts on two picks for #32

1. DT Michael Brockers, LSU
Brockers is extremely raw and has a big upside. He is already a decent run stuffer.
I think Brockers will take some time to develop, he is unlikely to be an effecrive starter for at least a year or so; most teams drafting a DT in the first round want a starter in year 1. We have the luxury of grooming Brockers behind Canty and Joseph and slowly working him into the rotation as he develops.
Reese is concerned about our DT depth and Marvn Austin, but it hasn't been addressed despite the recent signings to fill most of our holes. I am somewhat surprised we haven't resigned Bernard cheaply, he was solid down the stretch.
If Boley moves inside (which Reese has mentioned as an option (likely with Williams and Rivers splitting WLB)), we will need big bodies up front.

2. S Mark Barron, Alabama
I decided to go with a wildcard for #2. Barron is a very good safety but and he has had some problems with injury and isn't the flashy ballhawk most teams want. Safety doesn't seem to be an immediate need, but our secondary was scorched deep last year. Phillips is also off contract after the year. It also ensures that we have three quality safeties for our three safety sets. Barron would compete with Sash for the third safety and ensure we have a very good set of safeties.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 am

Honestly Pete I havent seen a mock draft with either of those two getting past pick 20. I really don't see any scenario with them reaching pick #32. Peter King recently reported the Cowboys are in talks to move up for Barron, Chiefs look like the likely trading partner. Also, rumors are the Eagles are considering a trade up to Jacksonville at 7 to get Fletcher Cox. If Cox goes that early Brockers is on many boards as the 2nd best DT. He'll be long gone by 32.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:03 am

Pizan wrote:Honestly Pete I havent seen a mock draft with either of those two getting past pick 20. I really don't see any scenario with them reaching pick #32. Peter King recently reported the Cowboys are in talks to move up for Barron, Chiefs look like the likely trading partner. Also, rumors are the Eagles are considering a trade up to Jacksonville at 7 to get Fletcher Cox. If Cox goes that early Brockers is on many boards as the 2nd best DT. He'll be long gone by 32.

How far did you see Amukamara dropping in last year's mocks?

I will come up with another two options Smile

I am actually finding #63 much easier to mock than #32
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:25 am

Ok so my take 2

1. G/T Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
A physical lineman with a nasty streak who could play either guard or right tackle. He is a similar style of lineman to Iupati or the Pouncey, but with more versatility. Our Oline has lacked physicallity and we can upgrade either LG or RT. Silatolu is a very good run blocker and needs to work on his pass blocking (but has definate ability). Start him off at left guard and in a year he should be able to play right tackle. This is the type of talent that will majorly upgrade our running game.
This is very similar to where we drafted Snee.

2. TE/WR Coby Fleener, Stanford
A recieving TE with very good size, excellent hands, good routes and a deceptive ability to get deep.
Fleener has similar physical tools to Shockey, but with a better attitude. This is the style of TE we wanted with Beckum, but will also be a big redzone threat. We could use Fleener in a similar way to how Denver and Baltimore used Shannon Sharpe was used; and Fleener can also do the kind of things we did with Burress.
As a TE Fleener can develop his blocking skills.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:36 am

Big_Pete wrote:
Pizan wrote:Honestly Pete I havent seen a mock draft with either of those two getting past pick 20. I really don't see any scenario with them reaching pick #32. Peter King recently reported the Cowboys are in talks to move up for Barron, Chiefs look like the likely trading partner. Also, rumors are the Eagles are considering a trade up to Jacksonville at 7 to get Fletcher Cox. If Cox goes that early Brockers is on many boards as the 2nd best DT. He'll be long gone by 32.

How far did you see Amukamara dropping in last year's mocks?

HA.

LINK -- My I told you so moment
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54 am

Option A:
Michael Brockers DT from LSU would fit right into what the Giants want on their defensive line. (likely a trade up to get him though)

Option B:
Jonathan Martin LT from Stanford would be a good fit as well. He has all the tools and IQ to become an NFL offensive tackle.

others to consider:
- Jerel Worthy DT, Michigan St.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Big_Pete wrote:Ok so my take 2

1. G/T Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
A physical lineman with a nasty streak who could play either guard or right tackle. He is a similar style of lineman to Iupati or the Pouncey, but with more versatility. Our Oline has lacked physicallity and we can upgrade either LG or RT. Silatolu is a very good run blocker and needs to work on his pass blocking (but has definate ability). Start him off at left guard and in a year he should be able to play right tackle. This is the type of talent that will majorly upgrade our running game.
This is very similar to where we drafted Snee.

2. TE/WR Coby Fleener, Stanford
A recieving TE with very good size, excellent hands, good routes and a deceptive ability to get deep.
Fleener has similar physical tools to Shockey, but with a better attitude. This is the style of TE we wanted with Beckum, but will also be a big redzone threat. We could use Fleener in a similar way to how Denver and Baltimore used Shannon Sharpe was used; and Fleener can also do the kind of things we did with Burress.
As a TE Fleener can develop his blocking skills.

Much more realistic picks. Amini is a finisher thats what I like most about him. MG said he heard rumblings that we are high on him too. He fits a Giants type of pick too, with a name thats hard to pronounce.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:42 pm

56 Crazed Dogs wrote:Option A:
Michael Brockers DT from LSU would fit right into what the Giants want on their defensive line. (likely a trade up to get him though)

Option B:
Jonathan Martin LT from Stanford would be a good fit as well. He has all the tools and IQ to become an NFL offensive tackle.

others to consider:
- Jerel Worthy DT, Michigan St.

Worthy has incredible quickness off the ball. He's the type of player that makes an immediate impact in a rotation. I really like him.

Martin is on my list as one of the most NFL ready prospects.

I 'd be happy with either of those two.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:55 pm

That's what jumps out at me too is Worthy's quickness.
I like Brockers better but it's not very realistic to think he'd be there at #32.

I'd like to see the Giants beef up the trenches first, get some real competition and then move on to the skill positions in this year's draft.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:24 pm

So we got it down to:

Alshonn Jeffery WR
Donta Hightower LB
Amini Silatolu G/T
Colby Fleener TE/WR
Jonathan Martin T
Jerel Worthy DT

Now of those players pick 3 but you can only pick one of your players that you suggested. Give a brief explanation why they are your final three.

****I canceled out Brockers because obviously if he was still available he'd be the BPA. Although anything can happen draft day, the likely hood of him being there at 32 is very slim. I'd like to keep this as close/real as possible.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Donta Hightower - The impact he can make on our defense immediately would be huge for us. Perhaps filling our biggest need while being the best defensive player available at this point in the draft. Rushing the passer and stopping the run, he's the type of impact player our defense needs to rank among the best in the league.

Jerel Worthy - His explosiveness off the line and quick first step will give Olineman fits. Although DT is relatively deep with Joseph, Canty, Austin, and the packages when we move DE's in at DT we could still find a place for Worthy.. but will the amount of playing time he gets justify spending a first round pick on a DT?

Jon Martin - This one was tough for me, It came down to Silatolu and Martin. I like Silatolu's versatility and the fact that he's is a finisher but Martin is NFL ready and can start from day 1. He's smart and tough, he's already had the pressure of blocking the blindside of a high profile QB. He's the type of OT that out smarts pass rushers. Although I'd be fine with Beatty at LT and Diehl at RT adding Martin to the mix definitely makes us stronger in the trenches.

For fun, the player you don't want on that list:

Colby Fleener - One of the most overrated prospects in the draft. The dude has no interest in blocking, he's actually terrible at it. He's nothing more than a receiving threat who I think benefited most from having Luck as his QB. I wont be happy if his name is called. Sorry Pete. Haha.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:19 am

Pizan wrote:So we got it down to:

Alshonn Jeffery WR
Donta Hightower LB
Amini Silatolu G/T
Colby Fleener TE/WR
Jonathan Martin T
Jerel Worthy DT

Now of those players pick 3 but you can only pick one of your players that you suggested. Give a brief explanation why they are your final three.

I'll go with Silatolu, Worthy and Martin

I don't think we are going to go LB early, unless some amazing talent falls. Reese tends to look at LB in the mid-late rounds (and there are good options this year)
I do like WR, but I think it is more a second round option value wise.

We do need to consider DT and Worthy is a very good option. Silatolu and Martn upgrage the Oline (though I am not sure it is a priority), both are good options with plenty of upside; I prefer Silatolu's style of play (kinda like Iupati and co)

One other player I will add is Chandler Jones, very raw he could be a Richard Seymour style of DE and a good option to groom behind Tuck for LDE

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:36 am

LT, Jon Martin
Martin is as close as NFL ready as any tackle out there. Plays smart and always seems to pick the right man to block. I'm not a big believer in Beatty and Brewer has a lot to prove.

WR, Alshonn Jeffery
Has the size, can catch the ball with defenders hands in front of him and big play making ability. He's not polished but he can make the transition slowly and not be forced in as a starter.

ILB, Donta Hightower
An old school inside backer. Love the leadership, run stopping ability, smart, fights through traffic. Not the fastest player and I believe the Giants would rather get quicker there, but I wouldn't be dissapointed if this was their pick.

Don't want:
Colby Fleener.
I think the Giants offense would benefit more by waiting until the later rounds for a player such as USC's, Rhett Ellison or NC St., George Bryan.
Ellison has NFL bloodlines, can play FB/TE, special teams. I think in the long run he could offer more versatility in the Giants system than Fleener.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Jon Martin is the favorite with 3 votes
Jerel Worthy and Donta Hightower are tied with 2 votes
Alshonn Jefferey and Amini Silatolu each have 1 vote

So in our first ever Mini-Draft War Room, we've decided Martin would be our pick assuming he's still on the board at 32.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:37 am

Round 2?
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 am

Round two

OT Keleche Osmele, Iowa State
A physical OT who can slot right in at RT. He has decent lateral agility, long arms and good use of hands. I wouldn't be surprised if Osmele could play LT for us. I think he is right up there talent wise with guys like Reiff, Martin, Silatolu and Adams.

WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers
A physical WR with good hands and good blocking. Sanu is a potential #1 WR

DT Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati
Wolfe is the kind of DT we like, powerful, athletic and versatile.
DT is the one need that we haven't addressed despite Reese's concerns about Austin's development.

I really wanted to include Ronnell Lewis, but I'll let Vin do that Smile
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:27 am

Sure, lets do round 2 but before we move on Mayock had us taking Jon Martin as well. We could be on to something here fellas.

Round 2 prospects

David Wilson RB VTech -- Extremely fast and quick RB who can also lower the shoulders and get in between the tackles. Excellent potential but has fumbling problems and needs to become more disciplined as a runner.

Ronnel Lewis OLB Oklahoma -- Fierce hitter. Nicknamed the Hammer for a reason. Excellent pass rusher who will need time to develop as a complete backer. For now though he can contribute as a pass rusher and special teams player. (Thanks Pete)

Brandon Boykin CB Georgia -- The best nickle corner in the draft. Last season we had trouble with slot receivers forcing us to bring Rolle down to cover them. That caused fits for most of the year and undoubtedly made our defense weaker. With the new rules nickle corner position is quickly becoming one of the more important positions on the team. It would be nice to get our hands on a good one.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 am

Pizan wrote:Sure, lets do round 2 but before we move on Mayock had us taking Jon Martin as well. We could be on to something here fellas.

Round 2 prospects

David Wilson RB VTech -- Extremely fast and quick RB who can also lower the shoulders and get in between the tackles. Excellent potential but has fumbling problems and needs to become more disciplined as a runner.

Ronnel Lewis OLB Oklahoma -- Fierce hitter. Nicknamed the Hammer for a reason. Excellent pass rusher who will need time to develop as a complete backer. For now though he can contribute as a pass rusher and special teams player. (Thanks Pete)

Brandon Boykin CB Georgia -- The best nickle corner in the draft. Last season we had trouble with slot receivers forcing us to bring Rolle down to cover them. That caused fits for most of the year and undoubtedly made our defense weaker. With the new rules nickle corner position is quickly becoming one of the more important positions on the team. It would be nice to get our hands on a good one.

Three very good picks, I like all three
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:36 pm

David Wilson - RB - Virginia Tech.
An ideal "do it all" type of RB. He could make an instant impact on specials and is a threat anytime he touches the ball.

Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State
He has the small school label which put him up against inferrior DB's but he did dominate and shows the athleticism to make NFL plays. Would make a fine compliment to Nicks and Cruz much like Manningham did.

Derek Wolfe - DT - Cincinnati
High motor, Gets doubled often and still pushes forward. Strong, gets to the quarterback with the sacks to prove it. Not much not to like about him.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:52 pm

so two out of these 6 (only one of yours)

Mine

LB Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma

WR Mohamed Sanu Rutgers
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm going with Ronnell Lewis from my picks And David Wilson from Todds picks. Lol.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:05 pm

David Wilson Vin's pick
Derek Wolfe Pete's pick
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:44 pm

David Wilson - 2 votes
Ronnell Lewis - 2 votes
Derek Wolfe - 1 vote
Mohammed Sanu - 1 vote

I think its safe to say we botched this round but for the tie breaker --

Wilson or Lewis who would you rather have?

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum