TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants sign veteran DT, Shaun Rogers

3 posters

Go down

Giants sign veteran DT, Shaun Rogers Empty Giants sign veteran DT, Shaun Rogers

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:24 pm

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/giants_sign_shaun_rogers_forme.html

The Giants announced today, just moments from the start of the NFL Draft, they have signed Shaun Rogers, the veteran defensive tackle who spent last season with the New Orleans Saints.

The 12-year veteran -- a three-time Pro Bowl selection who has played for the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns, in addition to the Saints -- will add depth along the interior of the defensive line behind Chris Canty and Linval Joseph.

Rogers, a 6-4, 350-pound roadblock, started four times last season and played in all 18 of the Saints' games. He amassed 22 tackles during the regular season.

“I’m kind of honored and I appreciated them holding me in a regard enough to put me in along those guys,” said Rogers of joining a formidable Giants defensive front in a statement released by the team. “Those guys are most definitely top-notch pass rushers, defensive linemen right now, especially in their prime. I’m just happy to be a part of that group, those guys are going to help me out and hopefully I can help them out.

“Hopefully, we can be another Super Bowl champion. You get an opportunity to join an organization of this caliber with lofty goals and a great track record, you go ahead and do that. Hopefully, I can bring some of my experience over the past few years and just fit in and play a part.”

The Giants also had been inquiring about another former Pro Bowl defensive tackle, Albert Haynesworth, according to a person familiar with the team's deliberations. That person requested anonymity because the team's free agent strategy has not been made public.

Signing Rogers would seemingly make any Haynesworth interest moot.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Giants sign veteran DT, Shaun Rogers Empty Re: Giants sign veteran DT, Shaun Rogers

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Not sure if he'll even make it outta training camp but he's a big body to help on obvious running downs. He also helps hide our draft plans.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Giants sign veteran DT, Shaun Rogers Empty Re: Giants sign veteran DT, Shaun Rogers

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Rogers could be assurance if bodies start getting injured in camp too.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Word.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 pm

This gives us a cheap vet to add DT depth and allow flexibility with the draft.

I probably would have preferred to resign Bernard (which could still happen I guess) but I guess we wanted someone who can clog the middle.

I think this is an upgrade over Jimmy Kennedy.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down