TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

wr, Roy Williams traded to the cowboys

Go down

wr, Roy Williams traded to the cowboys Empty wr, Roy Williams traded to the cowboys

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:05 pm

yahoo sports news
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – After acquiring WR Roy Williams from the Lions for three NFL draft picks, the Dallas Cowboys agreed to terms with him on a new contract through the 2013 season, owner Jerry Jones confirmed from the owners meetings.

“This year plus an additional five,” Jones said of the pending pact for Williams, acquired for a first-, third- and sixth-round pick in 2009.

Financial terms of Williams’ contract were undisclosed. In addition, the Cowboys will receive Detroit’s seventh-round pick next year.

For Jones, it was welcome news after a brutal past week in which cornerback Adam Jones has been suspended indefinitely for his role in an off-field fight last week, and quarterback Tony Romo, receiver Sam Hurd, corner Terence Newman, running back Felix Jones, punter Mat McBriar and outside linebacker Anthony Spencer have suffered injuries or had surgery.

“This is good news, finally,” said Jerry Jones, whose team will also receive a fifth-round draft pick from the Titans as a result of Adam Jones’ suspension. “This gives us another threat on the other side of Terrell (Owens). That’s something that (offensive coordinator) Jason Garrett and I talked about during the offseason, getting another big-time threat on the other side to go with (Owens) and (tight end) Jason Witten.”

During his first four years with Detroit, Williams averaged 61 receptions a season. The seventh overall pick in the ‘04 draft out of Texas, Williams was second on the team this year with 17 receptions.

Jerry Jones made no secret that he has been pursuing Williams for a long time.

“We’ve been talking to the Lions for two years about Roy, who is very familiar to us being from Texas,” Jones said. “I talked to them again just before the draft and at the most recent owners meetings and we finally were able to get something done.”

As for concerns about how Williams will coexist with the emotional Owens, Jones smiled.

“I called Terrell and he was ecstatic,” Jones revealed. “He was the first person I called after I talked to Roy. As soon as Terrell heard he said, ‘Give me Roy’s number, I have to call him,’ .”

They may have given up quite a few draft picks but all in all, it's a good move for Dallas.
Dallas now has two big physical receivers that may be tough for the Giants to match up against.
Depending on how Kenny Phillips progresses, I wonder if we could see the Giants trying him at cornerback sometime in the near future.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down