TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

NFL Officiating

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NFL Officiating

Post  gman17 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:57 am

I think officiating has been horrendous this year. I do not blame the officials. I think the NFL needs to revamp their rules.

Here is what I posted on my Giants blog.

After watching the ending of the Pittsburgh vs San Diego contest, I think the NFL must streamline their rules. I think it is nonsense to think the game was fixed. Moreover, I do not blame the officials. If one looks at the big picture, the NFL must vet their rules. Once the rules are vetted, the rules must be clear and concise. Therefore, there should be no room for interpretation. Each year, the NFL makes changes and concessions to a rule. This I think causes confusion. Take for example, the Eli Manning did he or did he not cross the line of scrimmage prior to releasing the football. In the Steeler versus Charger matchup, what constitutes a lateral and a forward pass?

If I was on the NFL Competition Committee (the rule governing body), I would suggest
the following:

1. Advocate John Madden's idea: An NFL official should be a full time paid employee. Currently, officials work part time. I think if officials were full time they can focus on making sure they truly understand the rules.

2. As I mentioned before, I would make sure the rule book is cleaned up. For example, there are different interpretations of what is a catch? or what is pass interference? Gut the rule book and make the rules crystal clear.

3. Get rid of instant replay. I think instant replay is a failure. Even with instant replay, the officials still could not get the call right in the Steeler vs Charger match up.

Future Hall of Fame Coach Bill Parcells was asked if he was in favor of instant replay: Parcells replied, "If you can tell me we can get all the calls right all the time, then I am in favor; but if we get some of the calls right some of the time then I am not."

I agree with Parcells. Instant replay has not improved the officiating. I think it has added drama to the game.

I can only hope the NFL will revamp their rule book. I think it will make a wonderful sport even better.

I thought some of the calls especially against Ross were questionable.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Glenn
at
New York Football Giants
www.nygmennfl.blogspot.com

gman17
mascot
mascot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NFL Officiating

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:19 pm

Yes, NFL officiating has been at a real low point this year.

Having full time refs and getting rid of the replay sounds good to me. Of course, can you imagine some idiot fan's reaction the first time a full-time referee blows a call? I can see death threats and such becoming reality.

I've never been a fan of instant replay but like you said, it does add drama to the game and that is just what the nfl wants. I'll bet the nfl's front office people are all up there heckling and enjoying every minute of it when they see a bad call controversy.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:50 pm

Well there are other professional football codes that do have professional referrees/umpires and they do tend to do a good job over all.

I am not sure that replay is a bad thing, there are a few decisions that needed to be over turned. I would rather get it right first time with instant replay
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top