TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Jacobs/Ward FA situation

2 posters

Go down

Jacobs/Ward FA situation Empty Jacobs/Ward FA situation

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:40 am

The situation with Jacobs and Ward is very interesting.

It is likely that only Jacobs or Ward will be resigned long term.

Ward will want (and get) a contract around Marion Baber's 7 year $45 million contract with $16 million guaranteed (including $12 million signing bonus).

Jacobs will want (and get) a contract around Steven Jackson's 6 year, $44.805 million contract with $20.5 million guaranteed (including $11.395 million signing bonus).

Jacobs is likely to be the top free agent RB by a big margin. (Ward may be #2)

The 2008 franchise tag number was $6.5 million for running backs; so it is quite reasonable cap wise. (The 2009 salary cap is projected to be around $123 million)

If we can't come to a deal with Jacobs, it certainly seems worth putting the franchise tag on him and trying to trade him. We also would be able to limit which teams he goes to.

Last edited by Big_Pete on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Jacobs/Ward FA situation Empty Re: Jacobs/Ward FA situation

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:00 am

How about a trade with the Cardinals?

The Giants are not going to be able to keep Ward and Jacobs (and Jacobs will get a big contract), there is a very good chance could very well end up franchising Brandon Jacobs.

Anquan Boldin is probably on the way our in Arizona. The Cardinals are not likely agree to Boldin's substantial contract demands, likely similar to Larry Fitzgerald's 4 year $40 million contract with $30 million guranteed (including $15 million signing bonus).

Ken Wisenhunt loves his running game with his strong Steelers heritage and Jacobs could be the guy that really opens it up for them (particularly with their offensive line). I imagine a deal would be something they would seriously consider.

The Giants have plenty of picks they can sweeten the deal with.

I am not certain the Giants would want to pay Boldin huge money, so perhaps a third party deal is the best option.

Possible options include Miami, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Philadelphia or Tennessee. An AFC team is the most likely as it won't upset either the Giants or Cardinals much.

For example:

Cardinals get: Brandon Jacobs, 3rd round pick from Giants, 3rd round pick from Tennessee/Miami

Giants get: 1st round pick from Tennessee/Miami

Tennessee/Miami get: Anquan Boldin
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:09 pm

If Ward gets a contract even close to Marion Barbers I'd be shocked. There is a big difference in talent between the two imo.
There's alot of other running backs out there with Wards type of ability. I'm not knocking him. Ward has always been one of my favorite Giants to root for but he's not going to punish a defense like Barber, Jackson, or Jacobs will.
A contract similar to Ryan Grants is reasonable. Ward should consider himself lucky to get around 5 years 20 million.

Jacobs has already expressed out loud that he's not looking for 40 million. I can see him making around 35 mil with some incentive bonuses to possibly reach around 40 mil. He'll likely never be asked to carry the full load on gamedays unless of injuries so he really shouldn't expect anymore than that.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:47 pm

I think you are way off with the kind of money these guys will get in free agency

the free agent RB group this year is thin; Jacobs is #1 and Ward is #2 (whether you like it or not) Ward doesn't come accross as the best talent, but he is a 1000 yard rusher and does have over a 5 yard per carry average. that is alot more than Grant has.

The RB draft class is thin this year, which means unless you draft one of the top couple of RBs, Jacobs and Ward are the best way to increase your running game.

I am not trying to say what they should get, just what they likley will get. Both Jacobs and Ward will take less to stay here, but the question is how much less?

btw a 35 mill contract with an extra 5 mil incentives is a 40 mill contract Smile
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:40 pm

Big_Pete wrote:

btw a 35 mill contract with an extra 5 mil incentives is a 40 mill contract Smile
I never said he wouldn't get 40 million, just said that he already stated he's not looking to get 40million
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Big_Pete wrote: Ward doesn't come accross as the best talent, but he is a 1000 yard rusher and does have over a 5 yard per carry average. that is alot more than Grant has.
Grant was given a wealthy contract at the end of last season when he was at the top of his game and rushed for near 1000 yds 5.1 per carry in just 8 games.
Yes, Grant stunk this year compared to last year(trust me I remember, he was on one of my ff rosters Evil or Very Mad ) a one year wonder perhaps? that also could scare teams away from giving Ward a big pay-day. There's many running backs that could succeed behind the Giants o-line.
Also, no team is likely to give a running back who will be 29 years old at the start of next season a 7 year contract.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:45 pm

ok perhaps Ward is not worth that much, but a contract with around 10-12 million guaranteed is almost certain; also there is not alot of wear on his tyres.

I am more interested in Jacobs, he will get around $20 million guaranteed. I would love the Giants to have him back, but the longer it goes without a contract extension the less likely it is (imho).

I am merely looking at options should Jacobs hit the open market in Feb
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:00 am

from profootballweekly.com

11 Jan

We hear it’s still not out of the question that both Derrick Ward and Brandon Jacobs, both free-agents-to-be, could return to the Giants. There is cap room to work with, and the Giants love the formula they have. The only question is whether Ward and Jacobs do, too; either one might want to go elsewhere and be a more featured back, but that remains to be seen.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down