TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Eli Manning.....

3 posters

Go down

Eli Manning..... Empty Eli Manning.....

Post  Big_Pete Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:23 pm

Alot has been made of Eli Manning and whether he deserves his expected $100-$120 million contract extention.

Eli is 28 now and even if it is a 7-8 year contract, we are looking at investing an average of around $14.5 million - $15 million per year with a large chunk of that $100-120 million guaranteed.

Normally I would think it is a no-brainer that you lock up a superbowl winning, probowl QB that has carried your franchise to the playoffs for 4 successive seasons as long as possible.

I can't help wondering if it is worth investing that much cash in Eli, he has done well at times, but too often he has been inconsistent when the offense needs him to step up. In the limited chances that David Carr has had, the passing game has looked crisp. For whatever reason, the passing attack with Eli rarely seems to fire on all cylinders.

I don't think it is fair to lay all the blame at Gilbride's feet (as has been often done by many (including myself) in the past), the opportunities in the passing game have been there, just not exploited.

Eli has already been given huge money, but I haven't seen the level of continual improvement I would have expected from the top QB in the league.

An elite QB can make a good passing game with a solid bunch of receivers (a good example is Tom Brady and the Patriots before Moss). I think Eli has clearly shown that he needs exceptional recievers such as Burress and Shockey (who require double teams) to have a dominant passing attack; this is despite the Giants have a formidable ground attack forcing which teams to adapt often with 8 men in the box. The running game should have opened up more opportunities that can be exploited in the passing game, but we haven't executed as well as we should. I think Eli is a good QB, but not an elite QB.

I would like to say that I am comfortable with the new contract and that Eli deserves that kind of huge contract. I certainly understand the benefits of continuity with a team, but I can't help being a little nervous investing that much cash in Eli.

I would like to say I am happy with Eli under center for the forseeable future; but to be honest, if Detroit was to offer both their 1st round picks for Eli, I would have to give it long hard consideration.

I know Eli has been very good for the franchise, but I can't help feeling at times the Giants have succeeded despite him at times.

What do you think?

1. Should the Giants be pay the contract extention?

2. Should the Giants hold off a year?

We could either resign Carr or even draft a quality young QB early to develop behind Eli (perhaps Josh Freeman or Nate Davis) and see how Eli performs will a little pressure to deliver results.

If Eli steps up then we can extend him then, or alternatetivley we can franchise him after 2009 and make a trade. We would have a good young QB with a year under his belt plus Carr/Woodson for competition.

3. If Detroit hypothetically offered both their 1st round picks (#1, #20) for Eli would you make the deal?

If you would consider it, then perhaps we should think carefully about whether Eli is worth investing that kind of money in. This is a superbowl winning franchise QB who has carried the Giants to the playoffs for 4 years in a row - normally this wouldn't even be considered.

Honestly I would consider this hypothetical trade offer long an hard if it were on the table.

What are your thoughts on Eli Manning?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Eli Manning..... Empty Re: Eli Manning.....

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:54 am

While I agree that Eli is not an elite qb, it is proven that he is a winner and can get the job done when the game is on the line.
This is what separates Eli from other qbs that appear to have more physical talent.

Our team may be going through a transition with our starting receivers this year and Eli is the only one who has any reps with the younger guys on the team that may have to step up and play a big role next year.
Don't count on Atlanta and Baltimores success with rookie qbs to work in NY. Anything is possible but it's not likely. Selecting the right qb in any draft is not an easy task.

Pay Eli and move forward. There's really no reason not to.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm

I know Eli will almost certainly get his pay day

I just wish he was a little more consistent or seemed to be working hard on improving technique etc

As it is, giving Eli that kind of money makes me nervous; but the real factor will be how much is guaranteed.

regardless, I hope we get the passing game to start firing on all cyclinders Smile
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  gman17 Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Eli is an elite quarterback. If it was not for him, we do not win Super Bowl XLII. He was stellar in all 4 playoff games. Look at the stats guys. Last year, we did not have a dominating running game in the post season. Eli was the reason we won. I find it incredulous some fans think Eli is just good. Against the Eagles, he had a terrible game. All the great quarterbacks have had bad games.

Do not give up on Eli. This team is only going to get better.

Keep the faith.

newyorkfootballgiantstalk.com

gman17
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:06 am

I don't consider Eli to be an Elite QB; truely Elite QBs are not common.

An elite QB is a guy who can consistantly carry a team by himself, he can have a quality passining game without exceptional receivers. When the chips are down, the QB can consistently come up big time to put the team in a position to win the game.

good examples in my opion are Brady and Favre (when younger)

Eli is a very good solid QB, and he does certainly have the potential to be a great QB, but isnt there yet. He is still reasonably young and should be entering his best seasons soon
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  gman17 Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:28 pm

Big Pete,

I disagree with you about Eli. Last year, Eli outplayed Garcia, Romo, Favre, and Brady in the playoffs. Eli carried the Giants. Without Eli's fantastic play, the Giants do not win a Super Bowl. Two weeks ago, against the Eagles, Eli was horrible. It is my judgment, elite quarterbacks have bad games. Montana was not stellar in each playoff game he played.

www.newyorkfootballgiantstalk.com

gman17
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down