TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Brandon Jacobs franchised

2 posters

Go down

Brandon Jacobs franchised Empty Brandon Jacobs franchised

Post  Big_Pete Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:49 am

As we all know Brandon Jacobs has been franchised.

I think this franchise tag is a precursor to a trade.

I think if an extention was going to be done, it would have been done by now.

I think the writing was on the wall when reports came out the Giants were opening talks with Ward about a contract extention.

It could also mean the Giants believe Danny Ware is ready to step up and share the load along with Ahmad Bradshaw.

I can understand Jacobs' point of view, it is his one shot at that big payday. RBs also have the shortest careers, so it isn't like he can let things slide for a couple more years.

from all reports Jacobs wants/expects something ver similar to the 7 year, $45 million deal that Marion Barber got last year. I don't think the Giants are in that ballpark.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Brandon Jacobs franchised Empty Re: Brandon Jacobs franchised

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:05 am

According to Jacobs and Reese, they have full confidence that a new deal will get done soon. The franchise tag was just to give them a little bit more time before the Feb 27th free agent signing period begins.

The Giants hope to use the franchise tag to buy time in order to work out a multi-year deal with Jacobs, which would significantly lower the hit they take on this year's salary cap.

So, is Jacobs indeed angered by this? Not if you listen to him. After a conversation with GM Jerry Reese, Jacobs came away convinced a long-term commitment is forthcoming.

"A deal is going to be done and I am confident in that fact that a deal is going to be done," said Jacobs, who, at age 26, rushed for a career-high 1,089 yards this past season. "They just didn't want to let me hit the market to see what else is out there. Now if I didn't want to be here I would be going off the deep end now, but that is not the fact because I want to be here."

Reese said, "With the deadline approaching it was the right business thing to do at this point, although we are hopeful to get a longer-term deal hammered out in the near future."

56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:03 am

TD wrote:According to Jacobs and Reese, they have full confidence that a new deal will get done soon. The franchise tag was just to give them a little bit more time before the Feb 27th free agent signing period begins.

I know this has been said, but I am not sold on it.

The Giants and Jacobs have had many months to work this out; they will keep working on it but things are obviously far enough apart that the Giants think another week is unlikely to resolve the situation.

I think teams will make good trade offers for Jacobs; if Detroit for example offered #33 and #129 then that is likely a done deal imho. They have picks and free agency to address other needs; hoping that Jacobs and kevin Smith can be that two-headed monster something like what Stewart/Williams, White/Johnson and Brown/Williams have done for Carolina, Tennessee and Miami
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:41 pm

I agree somewhat. I'm not sure why the Giants and Jacobs find it so hard to get a deal done.

As far as a trade goes with Jacobs. I think I read that the only way a team can make a trade now that he's franchised, is if they throw in two first round draft picks with the deal. I don't think that Jacobs is worth that much to any team.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:41 pm

TD wrote:I agree somewhat. I'm not sure why the Giants and Jacobs find it so hard to get a deal done.

As far as a trade goes with Jacobs. I think I read that the only way a team can make a trade now that he's franchised, is if they throw in two first round draft picks with the deal. I don't think that Jacobs is worth that much to any team.

Jacobs isn't going to play on a 1-year francise deal (imho)

the tag was to
a) make sure we get some good value for jacobs
b) make sure we control which team he plays for

we don't want to have to face Jacobs if at all possible

two first rounders isn't going to happen; but a early 2nd and 4th is

or if Reese wants to move up, we could also flop picks. For example our #29 for Detroits #20 (plus whatever)
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:18 pm

I think Jacobs' (and Burress') situation is very similar to Shockey's

publically they are leaving the option open but are looking for deals to get the best value for these guys

Last edited by Big_Pete on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:37 pm

TD wrote:I agree somewhat. I'm not sure why the Giants and Jacobs find it so hard to get a deal done.

I think the Giants are offering somewhere around the deal that Michael Turner got

Michael Turner's deal (from rotoword)

3/2/2008:
Signed a six-year, $34.5 million contract. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed.

Base Salaries
2009: $1 million
2010: $2 million
2011-2012: $5 million
2013: $5.5 million
2014: Free Agent

from all reports Jacobs wants/expects something ver similar to the 7 year, $45 million deal that Marion Barber got last year.

Marion Barber's deal (from rotoword)

5/20/2008:
Signed a seven-year, $45 million contract. The deal contains $16 million guaranteed, including a $12 million signing bonus.

Base Salaries:
2009: $620,000
2010: $3.86 million
2011: $4.25 million
2012: $5.75 million
2013: $6.25 million
2014: $7 million
2015: Free Agent

I can understand his point of view, it is his one shot at that big payday. RBs also have the shortest careers, so it isn't like he can let things slide for a couple more years.

I can also understad the Giants point of view.
The Giants view RBs as replaceable; they can get other guys who while different, can get the job done.
With the kind of battering Jacobs takes he may only have 2-3 years at peak level.
Plus the Giants will have other areas they would like address

That is why I think a trade for picks is likely. They can address RB (when they choose) and save around $5mill which can be invested in other areas; perhaps a FA OLB? or extending Cofield and Hixon etc
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down