TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

DT, Rocky Bernard signed (official)

2 posters

Go down

DT, Rocky Bernard signed (official) Empty DT, Rocky Bernard signed (official)

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:34 pm

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=35726
FEBRUARY 28, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants took their second dip in the free agency pool today when they signed defensive tackle Rocky Bernard. He joins linebacker Michael Boley, signed earlier this afternoon, as reinforcements for a defense that finished the 2008 season ranked fifth in the NFL.

The Giants signed their second free agent when they came to terms with DT Rocky Bernard
Bernard played the first seven years of his career with the Seattle Seahawks. He appeared in 103 regular season games with 55 starts and had 282 tackles (206 solo), 29.0 sacks, 13 passes defensed, five forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries.

“He’s a veteran defensive tackle with skins on the wall,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He plays hard, he’s stout against the run and he has to be accounted for as a pass rusher. We’re happy to have Rocky on board in our defensive tackle rotation.”

The Seahawks made the playoffs every year from 2003-07. But they slumped to 4-12 last season, prompting Bernard to look for a new football home.

“I was looking for a fresh start,” Bernard said. “Last year was really rough – it was so frustrating. I thought a change of scenery would be good.

“I’m really, really excited to be coming to the Giants. I wanted to go to a team that has had a lot of success and has a really good defense. That’s what the Giants have. It feels good to be part of a great organization. They’re a good football team.”

Bernard’s given name is Robert. But he was born when Sylvester Stallone’s “Rocky” movies were popular and his parents sensed a similarity between the character and their son. “I was a scrappy kid, so they started calling me Rocky,” Bernard said. “No one ever calls me by my given name.”

Bernard joins a defensive tackle rotation that includes starters Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield and reserve Jay Alford. Asked where he will fit in, Bernard said, “That will all work itself out.”

However, Bernard is certain he will be an important contributor to the Giants’ defense.

“I still have a lot of good football to play,” he said. “I’m looking forward to getting there and helping that defense.”

In 2005, Bernard played in every game with seven starts and had career-high totals of 52 tackles (43 solo) and 8.5 sacks for a Seahawks team that won the NFC Championship and lost to Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XL. Bernard had two sacks in the NFC Championship Game and started the Super Bowl and had two solo tackles.

The following season, Bernard started all 16 games and had 3.5 sacks. In 2008, Bernard started all 15 games in which he played at right defensive tackle and finished with 55 tackles (43 solo). 4.0 sacks, a pass defensed, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. Bernard’s 19.5 sacks since 2005 are tied for fourth among NFL interior linemen.

Like Boley, Bernard entered the NFL as a fifth-round draft choice. He was the 146th overall selection in 2002. He made his first career start vs. the Giants on Sept. 22, 2002, becoming the first rookie defensive lineman to start a game for the Seahawks since Sam Adams in 1994.

Bernard started 33 games at Texas A&M, where he collected 170 tackles (89 solo) with 12 sacks and 33 tackles for losses. He received All-America recognition at Sterling High School in Baytown, Texas. Bernard was born on April 19, 1979.

Bernard has spent virtually no time in the metropolitan area and he doesn’t know any of his new teammates. But that doesn’t dampen his enthusiasm.

“I’ll start to get to know everyone in the offseason program,” he said. “I want to get in there and get to work. I’m looking forward to (being a Giant).”
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

DT, Rocky Bernard signed (official) Empty Re: DT, Rocky Bernard signed (official)

Post  Big_Pete Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:40 am

this is a great deal

Giants | Out of the running for Canty?
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:51:04 -0800

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Giants appear to be out of the running for free-agent DL Chris Canty (Cowboys) after signing DL Rocky Bernard (Seahawks). However, Canty is not scheduled to leave New York until the evening of Sunday, March 1, and a source said the team is still interested in signing both Canty and Bernard. One potential hurdle is money as Canty is believed to be looking for close to $8 million per year.

Canty might still be an option; particuarly as we had the money to make a serious bid for Haynesworth
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

DT, Rocky Bernard signed (official) Empty Re: DT, Rocky Bernard signed (official)

Post  Big_Pete Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:42 am

from Rotoworld

Giants agreed to terms with DT Rocky Bernard on a four-year, $16 million contract.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:54 am

hmm.. that's a little bit more money than I expected to spend on him.
The Giants must have a strong conviction of what Bernard will bring to the team.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:34 am

TD wrote:hmm.. that's a little bit more money than I expected to spend on him.
The Giants must have a strong conviction of what Bernard will bring to the team.

4 Mill a year is a bargain for a veteran DT; there is alot to like about Bernard.

But it is also an issue of both of our starting DTs having knee surgery

He may not be the starter; but Bernard is a very good fit in our DT rotation

lets see..

- Bernard has played in 103 regular season games (out of a max 112)
- He is used to playing in rotation and as starter and has been productive in both roles (starting 39 games including 44 in last 3 years (of 45 played)
- He is reportedly a run stuffer (though quick and disruptive)
- he averages over his career (including rookie year)
---- 40 tackles a year (29 solo, 11 assists)
---- 4.14 sacks a year (29 solo, 11 assists)
---- 1.9 PassDef per year

His high ratio of solo tackles means there are alot of plays being stopped up front; surely this helped the Seahawks LB corps alot

not bad at all, particularly as he might be our primary backup behind Cofield and Robbins

I guess the answer is, how would you feel about him if he got 40 tackles and 4 sacks for the Giants this year while working in a tripple heade monster inside with Cofield and Robbins (Alford clearly dropps back to #4)

This is a guy whom I think Mike Wauffle will really like alot (and get results from)

I am still liking a Giant trade for a #1 WR now; most likely Braylon Edwards
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down