TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

WRs to consider trading for

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WRs to consider trading for

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 am

With Burress situation, he is very likely not going to be back as a Giant

with Toomer gone, we need a genuine #1 WR; The free agent class is either old or no significant upgrade over the players we already have. A rookie WR is unlikely to impact right away.

I think the Giants front office are very, very seriously looking at trading for a WR

With that in mind I have been looking at the possible WRs we could trade for ; more likely younger guys who could be legitmate #1 WRs and who are probably off contract after 2009

Boldin has been mentioned, but I think he gets more money elsewhere. Here are the possible contenders (imho)

Braylon Edwards, Browns, 26

Greg Jennings, Packers, 26

Roddy White, Falcons, 28

Vincent Jackson, Chargers, 26

I don't think Jackson is a pure #1 or that the Chargers would let him go.

Braylon Edwards is likely available, but I am not sure about his inconsistencies and questions about work ethic.

The Packer are in a rebuilding phase. they are some ways behind Minnesota and they are overhauling their defence from a 4-3 to a 3-4. But Jennings is reportedly in contract negotiations and wants to retire a Packer. Depending on how negotiations go he could be available, but that is probably unlikely.

Then there is Roddy White, he is off contract next year and is going to want alot of money. There is a decent chance the Falcons are not going to want to pay him huge dollars he would attract, so perhaps a trade makes sense; the Falcons are still somewhat rebuilding, so perhaps could consider a deal. Any of the top WRs will cost alot; quite likely a 1st and 3rd pick. Atlanta could easily get quality WRs at #24 and/or #29 (or even later) and gives Atlanta talented WRs to groom with Ryan at a fraction of the cost it would cost to pay White.

From a Giants point of view a 1st and 3rd pick is alot for White, but he is a quality player; he would require a contract extenstion, quite possibly in the same ballpark as Roy Williams' five-year extension worth $45 million, including more than $20 million guaranteed. But remember it would also include the final year of White's rookie salary ($780,000) which would mean we would have White signed for a 6 year $46 million deal and around $20million guaranteed.

That would be a good deal for White; remeber T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a 32 yr old possession reciever (albeit a very good one) got a five-year, $40 million deal with $15 million in guarantees
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: WRs to consider trading for

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:41 am

The only starters I'd consider trading from the giants are Robbins or Cofield, since one.. or both of them may not be re-signing next year anyways.
The problem is. Would we be able to generate enough money to even make a trade possible? For a top-notch receiver, likely not.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:59 pm

I think that is exactly what will happen.

Here is part of a conference call with Inside Football's Patricia Traina

* On whether receiver is an area of need or if they’re content with what they have: “We’re always looking to create competition and improve our football team in all areas, (so) receiver is one of them as well. We have guys we like and who we expect to step up and play bigger roles, but we’ll continue to look to upgrade that position as well. We have good players at that position and who knows who’s going to step out of the shadows?" We could go into the fall with these guys, but we’re definitely going to keep looking to see if we can upgrade that position.

* Considering the Giant currently have nine draft picks and could end up with more, Reese was asked if he could see a scenario in which all of the draft picks made the Giants’ roster. “We might not have that many picks by the time the draft rolls around. If you have nine or ten guys who make your team, then maybe your team isn’t that strong. We like to create a lot of competition at all positions, so we’ll see.” He also said rather cryptically that if they have the right opportunity to move up or down in the draft, they’ll explore that.

if we trade our 1dt round pick, that is around $2 million we save

The other guy to watch out for is Pierce; there is alot os speculation from a wide variety of sources that this is his last year and the Giants intend to groom his replacement this year.
So if the front office are ok with a combination of Kehl, Wilkinson, Clark and Blackburn (+rookies) then Pierce is an option

Trading Pierce would save $3,266,667 (Base Salary: $4,350,000 - 2009 Prorated Bonus: $812,500 + LTBE: $541,667 - 2010 Prorated Bonus: $812,500)

Trading Fred Robbins would save $3,175,000 (Base Salary $2,000,000 + Other Bonus $1,375,000)

Adding all that up is $8,441,667 which will be ample

So perhaps Pierce, Robbins and #29 for Anquan Boldin/Roddy White? would you think that is a good deal?
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:55 am

I thought to myself the other day about possibly trading Pierce. The only problem with that imo is that no team is going to want to pick up his contract where it is left off.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:07 am

TD wrote:I thought to myself the other day about possibly trading Pierce. The only problem with that imo is that no team is going to want to pick up his contract where it is left off.

Pierce's contract would be cheap; somewhere around
2009: 4,350,000 base salary + LTBE ~$540,000
2010: 4,750,000 base salary + LTBE ~$540,000

the big deal is there would be absolutely no risk with no guaranteed money.

remember Vilma got a five-year, $34 million contract with $17 million guaranteed. now Pierce is a little older, but also doesn't have the injury issues and he still has alot of tread on the tyres.

Channing Crowder reportedly got a three year $20 million deal

Bart Scott got $48 million over six years

Pierce is a good leader and has the SB ring, he could be an excellent addition for a team like the cardinals; I think he is an ideal fit at ILB for a 3-4 team to be honest.

Teams have plenty of cap room to spend this year; Tampa Bay has over $50 million!

Last edited by Big_Pete on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:16 am

I personally think that Pierce has slowed down some since when he first became a Giant.
Yes, he's usually healthy but I see him more of a two down linebacker. He whiffed on more plays than usual last season.
I still think he can add some value to the Giants but he is a bit overpaid.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:46 am

I think Pierce is ok speed wise; I think the LB speed issues were majorly at OLB

he did have a down year, but should be ok

I think his best fit is as a 3-4 ILB where speed in not such a major issue
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top