TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants sign S CC Brown and TE Lee Vickers

2 posters

Go down

Giants sign S CC Brown and TE Lee Vickers Empty Giants sign S CC Brown and TE Lee Vickers

Post  Big_Pete Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:12 pm

from insidefootball.com

Giants Ink CC Brown, TE Lee Vickers

The Giants announced they have signed safety C.C. Brown, a former sixth round pick from the 2005 draft class (three of the four Giants free agent signings so far have come from that class) who spent the first four years of his career with Houston as their strong safety.

Brown, who inked a one-year deal, has amassed 254 career tackles, including a career-high 84 in 2007. He has three interceptions and 14 passes defensed.

“C.C. is a young veteran safety,” Reese said. “He is a physical player who has played a lot of football in this league in his short career. We expect him to come in and create great competition at this position and strengthen it as well.”

Brown’s addition almost certainly means that UFA James Butler, who is said to be negotiating with the rams, will not be back.

“Brown is a physical player who will come down to the line of scrimmage,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “He has made the calls in the secondary and can get people lined up. With the situation that we have with James Butler (who is a free agent), there is a need to go ahead and create the competitiveness that is necessary for everyone to reach their full potential. I think adding C.C. Brown is bringing us closer to that.”

Brown suffered a fractured right forearm after three games last season. “It’s back to normal. I’m ready to get out there, run around and hit people,” he said

Brown started all 23 games of his career for the Ragin’ Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette, where he was a two-time All-Sun Belt Conference selection. He led the team with a career-high 101 tackles as a senior. Brown transferred from Mississippi Delta Community College.

The Giants also signed TE Lee Vickers, 6-6 and 279 pounds, has played eight NFL games with two starts, all with the 2007 Baltimore Ravens. He caught two passes for four yards. The Ravens waived Vickers on Aug. 31, 2008.

“He converted to tight end and he has good hands,” Coughlin said. “I think we can get some versatility out of him as a blocker and a short-range receiver, but also on special teams. He’s pretty good in the wedge.”
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants sign S CC Brown and TE Lee Vickers Empty Re: Giants sign S CC Brown and TE Lee Vickers

Post  Big_Pete Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:13 pm

I like both these signings

Troupe may still be an option, but only if he checks out ok and is cheap enough
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants sign S CC Brown and TE Lee Vickers Empty Re: Giants sign S CC Brown and TE Lee Vickers

Post  Big_Pete Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 am

C.C. Brown's contract details with New York Giants

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
Friday March 06, 2009, 10:23 PM

Just got the details of C.C. Brown's 1-year contract with the Giants. Real quick rundown:

*$1-million base salary ($300k guaranteed)
*$400K signing bonus
*$150k roster bonus (prorated per game active)
*$50k workout bonus
*$400k incentive if he plays 75% of defensive snaps`

Total cap number: $1.6 million

MG

Another great contract, nicely done Kevin Abrahms and Jerry Reese
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:08 pm

I dug this up on the Houston Texans fans forums.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59271
I sure hope CC works out better than the Texans fans make him out to be.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I think he will be fine. firstly our defense is alot better, we have a great passrush (houston has little to none
outside of williams), we have a good set of corners (houston only has robinson and he has been hurt) and we have decent talent at safety (which houston doesnt)

it is probably understabdable that the Texans fans want an upgrade, but I think with a better system and decent talent around him he should be fine. I have alot of faith in our evaluation of talent, I think Brown will be very good value; remember his contract is less than half of what Gibril Wilson's (who is a solid starter but not exceptional)

he will compete for playing time and add special teams depth; I still think we go with a safety or two in the draft
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 pm

James Bulter got a 4 year $17mil deal from the rams

from kffl.com

Rams | Butler agrees to terms
Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:51:04 -0700

Josina Anderson, of FOX 31 in Denver, reports free-agent S James Butler (Giants) has agreed to terms on a four-year deal with the St. Louis Rams. The team is reportedly worth $14 million that includes $3 million in incentives that escalate it to a $17 million dollar package, according to league sources.

Browns' 1 year $1.6 million deal seems a bargain in comparision, particularly as it is only slightly more than Dockery's $1.5 million RFA tender
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:03 am

Guess Spags really does like Butlers presence at that price.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 am

TD wrote:Guess Spags really does like Butlers presence at that price.

from all reports Spags was a big fan of Butler; I always suspected alot more than Reese

I think Spags expected Butler to be the QB of their secondary and help bring in what he wants to do.
Remember they are looking at major culture change which is never simple.

I think Butler was ok, but was never overly enamoured with him (alot like Wilson and Johnson to be honest) he was good value where we got him but a solid guy at best; hopefully this year we bring in good safety talent in the draft to pair with Phillips
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down