TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants sign safety, Aaron Rouse.. Kenny Phillips goes on IR

2 posters

Go down

Giants sign safety, Aaron Rouse.. Kenny Phillips goes on IR Empty Giants sign safety, Aaron Rouse.. Kenny Phillips goes on IR

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Giants awarded Safety, Aaron Rouse off waivers from Green Bay
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Giants sign safety, Aaron Rouse.. Kenny Phillips goes on IR Empty Re: Giants sign safety, Aaron Rouse.. Kenny Phillips goes on IR

Post  Big_Pete Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:21 pm

I was just about to post the same

I don't mind Rouse too much

Sep 23 S Aaron Rouse was released by the Packers. Rouse started last Sunday in place of injured SS Atari Bigby and had been expected to for at least a few more weeks. Rouse showed flashes as a playmaker with four interceptions through his first two seasons, highlighted by a team-record-tying 99-yard return for a touchdown on a pick of the Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning last season. Yet, Rouse has been flawed technique-wise in the past, due in part to being a taller player at 6-foot-4.

I think with coaching by Merritt, Guinta and Sheridan he could be fine; it is also worth noting the Packers are loaded at safety

Rouse is also reportedly dinged up; they moved Charles Woodson to SS last week
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants sign safety, Aaron Rouse.. Kenny Phillips goes on IR Empty Re: Giants sign safety, Aaron Rouse.. Kenny Phillips goes on IR

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:26 pm

This may not be a bad signing. We obviously had to do something.
Rouse sounds like a kid with a ton of athleticism but kind of an uderachiever with questionable work ethic from what I've read so far.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:17 pm

"The most important thing for us right now is to realize it's an emotional time for Kenny Phillips," said coach Tom Coughlin. "He had an excellent training camp. He played the deep ball, really, unlike anybody we've had around here. He has two interceptions with two outstanding plays the other night, he leads the team in tackles. His presence is felt in really every category on special teams and defense. He was quietly very strong back in the secondary. We were very excited about what we thought could be a Pro Bowl year for our free safety.

"Unfortunately, it's a difficult time for all of us and for Kenny. Our concerns are about Kenny from an emotional standpoint, because this morning he looked like he'd lost his best friend. He's really down. But it's something the doctors felt was needed to be corrected right now, so what's in the best interest of the player is being done. I'm sure he'll rehab and be back with us in the spring."
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:19 pm

I am hoping to see Drew Boylharts profie on him when he came out in 2007

I think this guy has ability/potential

apparantley his coverage is the area that needs work, but the same can be said of CC Brown

for the record Rouse is listed at 6-4, 227 on NFL.com; that is only a shade smaller than Gerris Wilkinson or Michael Boley; plus he has plenty of speed (probably in a similar range to Phillips and ourbigger CBs)

unlike Brown, Rouse was starting on a good defensive unit last week

This gus is only 25 so has plenty of football ahead of him

There will be a ton of work to do, but I am starting to really like this pick up
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:24 pm

here you go Pete

Aaron Rouse S/LB Virginia Tech

STRENGTHS

Aaron is a great athlete that struggles playing football. He has excellent size and speed and a very good burst to the ball. He is a solid tackler and has developed change of direction skills. Aaron has the size to play linebacker and the speed and burst to impact at that position. He has a lot of the same athletic skills that Brian Urlacher had when he came out.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

With this much athletic talent, you have to question Aaron’s work ethic and his on-the-field intelligence. In my mind, there is no reason why Aaron is first, playing out of position and second, is not being considered as one of the best players in this draft. He does not have Urlacher’s pass defense abilities because he has poor change of direction skills, but if the play is in front of him, he is as good as Brian is at making the play. Aaron plays way too high in general and loses leverage and strength when he is up at the line.

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 4

Aaron really should be a smarter player and a better player than he is right now, but you never know with a little maturity and better coaching, he just might turn into an outstanding OLB. The fact is the kid could be a pretty good MLB if he wants to be. The question is, does he really want it? If he does, then he needs about four years of really hard work and playing special teams to accomplish this. My gut tells me that the kid hasn’t been too serious about playing football; however, something tells me that once he sees how much money he lost in this draft (because he was screwing around for four years) it just might be the one thing that will motivate him into becoming the player his talent suggests that he can be. A change of attitude, a good coach and this kid might be a hell of a LB at the next level. It is up to him.

Drew Boylhart

February/2007
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Interesting

the ball seems to be in Rouse's court, but our coaching system and team focus/attitude will help his development I think

for the record, players like Bradshaw, Phillips and Sintim got less than flattering reports from Boylhart, but they have excelled in our system.

I was thinking this guy could be a WLB as well in the future, but as an in the box SS he could excell
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Looking at Rouse's career stats

2009 2 GP (1 GS), 12 TT (10 UT, 2 AT)
2008 14 GP (6 GS), 53 TT (39 UT, 14 AT), 3 PDef, 2 Int (136yds, 1 TD)
2007 11 GP (3 GS), 25 TT (22 UT, 3 AT), 4 PDef, 2 Int ( 37yds)

He has been solid and certainly contributed

Rouse is a damn site better than any street free agent we could have gotten

He should be a real special teams asset as well.

Nice timing with his release from Green Bay
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:12 am

I think this week CC Brown will start at SS with Johnson at FS

Rouse will rotate in a little at SS but will mainly be a special teamer this week
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:47 am

I don't see any reason to change things up at this point.
Michael Johnson has been getting most of the strong safety calls the past two weeks and has done a fine job containing Cooley and Witten. However, he did get blocked out by Witten on some run plays.

Against the Redskins, Brown got a lot of reps but had much trouble playing deep and on the goal line even when the Giants played with three safeties. It's a cause for concern but I'd still much rather see Brown play deep with some DB help rather than up close or covering a tight end.

Just an instinct but I think the coaches may now see Brown as a liabilty since he didn't play much at all the next week against the cowboys.

I'm really hoping Rouse can catch on quick or we can get some help from our practice squad players because I don't think Brown is a good answer here. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:47 pm

a little more info on Phillips Knee

from http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/index/_/count/16

A worrisome take on Phillips' knee injury

September 25, 2009 10:28 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Don't look now, but the New York Giants' secondary is in crisis mode. The loss of safety Kenny Phillips for the season is a huge setback for a group that was already stretched pretty thin. The Giants signed safety C.C. Brown during free agency, but he's not in Phillips' league in terms of play-making ability.

Here's hoping that Phillips can bounce back from a knee problem known as patellofemoral arthritis, according to Bob Glauber of Newsday, who talked to an orthopedic surgeon about the condition.

"It doesn't bode well for a football player to have this," Dr. Michael Kaplan said. "It’s very unusual, and he may have had a traumatic injury where he got smashed in the kneecap. If it's severe enough to require microfracture surgery, it's a worrisome circumstance. It's not an overnight get-well situation, and the results are somewhat less predictable than ligament or cartilage tears."

Dr. Kaplan isn't Phillips' doctor, but it's still pretty sobering to hear him describe this type injury. I think coach Tom Coughlin really thought the Giants would be able to get Phillips through the season, but this doesn't sound like the type of injury someone can play through. Phillips had a firm grasp of what defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan was trying to accomplish and he was starting to simply trust his instincts on the field. I think he was on his way to becoming the best safety in the division -- even surpassing the Skins' LaRon Landry.

Hopefully he'll still have the chance.

If he does need microfracture surgery, then I am very happy the Giants are erring on the side of caution, I am pretty comfortable that microfracture surgery (while serious) will likely turn out ok.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down