TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants sign new Defensive Line coach

2 posters

Go down

Giants sign new Defensive Line coach Empty Giants sign new Defensive Line coach

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 pm

from http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=43946

Giants add D-Line Coach

Michael Eisen, Senior Writer/Editor - Giants.com

January 27, 2010
East Rutherford, NJ - Tom Coughlin today filled the final vacancy on the Giants 2010 coaching staff by hiring Robert Nunn to be the team's new defensive line coach.

Tom Coughlin today filled the final vacancy on the Giants 2010 coaching staff by hiring Robert Nunn to be the team's new defensive line coach.Nunn, a 22-year coaching veteran who has spent the last 10 seasons in the NFL, was a defensive line coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2009.

Nunn replaces Mike Waufle, who held the position for the previous six seasons. He joins defensive coordinator Perry Fewell as the new members of Coughlin's staff.

"Robert Nunn has been in professional football for 10 years and he has coached some outstanding players at every stop along the way," Coughlin said. "He is a guy who did an outstanding job on the board with the X's and O's in the interview process. More than that, he is a guy who, by virtue of how he presented himself, I feel very strongly will bring the best out of the players that he coaches. He will provide structure. He will gain their trust. He will prove to the players the techniques that are important. When that happens and they buy into it, I think the results will come back for us. He will coach a very important position on our team, one that we will rely on heavily to bring us back to the level of championship play."

"We're very excited to have Robert Nunn join our football staff," Fewell said. "He comes highly recommended from some of the other coaches throughout the league. He's coached in championship games; he was the D-line coach for Green Bay when the Giants played the Packers in the NFC Championship Game. He has worked with a number of excellent players - Jason Taylor, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Bruce Smith - and he has 10 years of experience.

"I look for him to bring to our defensive line fundamentals, technique, toughness, energy and to bring us together as a group to help make us a good defensive line unit."

Prior to this season in Tampa Bay, Nunn spent four years (2005-2008) coaching the defensive tackles for the Green Bay Packers. In 2008, Nunn oversaw a deep and talented rotation on the interior of the Packers defensive line. Two of Nunn's players, Johnny Jolly and Ryan Pickett, ranked in the top five in tackles among Green Bay defenders that season. Jolly set a new career high with 82 stops. Pickett, who joined the Packers as a free agent acquisition in 2006, thrived under Nunn as he tallied 236 tackles, 2.5 sacks and 13 passes defensed the past three seasons. Nunn's guidance also contributed to the emergence of Corey Williams in 2006, when the then third-year pro turned in his best season with 47 tackles and seven sacks.

In 2005, Nunn helped elevate the Packers' defense from 25th in the NFL before his arrival to seventh in the league. Under Nunn's direction, Grady Jackson started all 16 games for only the second time as a pro and responded with career bests in tackles (72) and passes defensed (four).

Nunn broke into the NFL as a defensive assistant with the Miami Dolphins in 2000. The following year, he was promoted to assistant defensive line/quality control coach. He held that role for two years (2001-2002), during which time he worked with Pro Bowler Jason Taylor.

In 2003, Nunn coached the Washington Redskins' defensive line. One of his players was Bruce Smith, who broke the late Reggie White's NFL career sacks record. Nunn also tutored veteran standouts Renaldo Wynn and Regan Upshaw.

Nunn returned to Miami in 2004 as a special assistant. He began the year working on off-the-field projects and then assisted with the linebackers after Coach Dave Wannstedt resigned with seven games left in the season.

Nunn's 12-year college coaching experience was highlighted by nine years at Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, Georgia. After one season as defensive coordinator, the school promoted him to head coach and athletic director in 1992. In his eight seasons holding that position, Nunn posted an impressive 66-19 record.

He launched his coaching career at Northeastern Oklahoma in 1988, heading up the defensive line. He then tutored defensive ends at the University of Tennessee for two seasons (1989-1990).

"I am usually impressed by people who came through the ranks, that didn't have great jobs," Coughlin said. "He was the defensive coordinator, head coach and athletic director at Georgia Military. Because of that and some of the recruiting associations he made, he got an opportunity to go into professional football and he's done an outstanding job."

A four-year letterman (1984-1987) as a linebacker at Oklahoma State, Nunn served as team captain in 1987. He earned a B.S. in secondary education from the school in 1988.
Nunn and his wife Karen have five children: one daughter, Josie, and four sons, Noah, Jacob, Nathan and Johnny.

Nunn at a Glance

1988 Northeastern Oklahoma Defensive Line
1989-90 Tennessee Defensive Ends
1991 Georgia Military College Defensive Coordinator
1992-99 Georgia Military College Head Coach
2000 Miami Dolphins Defensive Assistant
2001-2002 Miami Dolphins Asst. Def. Line/Quality Control
2003 Washington Redskins Defensive Line
2004 Miami Dolphins Special Assistant
2005-08 Green Bay Packers Defensive Tackles
2009 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive Line
2010 New York Giants Defensive Line
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants sign new Defensive Line coach Empty Re: Giants sign new Defensive Line coach

Post  Big_Pete Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:17 pm

I really like this signing, I think Nunn and Fewell will do a great jon turning around our defense
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants sign new Defensive Line coach Empty Re: Giants sign new Defensive Line coach

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:57 am

This is what bothers me about this signing

Nunn's defensive line accounted for just 17 sacks, and the Bucs' defense ranked dead last in the NFL against the run (158.2 yards per game).
source. nydailynews
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:47 pm

I am not so worried about that. The Bucs defense lacks alot of talent at alot of positions.

I don't think you can put it all on the Dline.

I have to admit, I was prefering Bob Sanders, the Gline coach from Buffalo, but not sure if he was fired. I am really glad to have our Dlinbe coach in place.

I find this encouraging

"Robert Nunn has been in professional football for 10 years and he has coached some outstanding players at every stop along the way," Coughlin said. "He is a guy who did an outstanding job on the board with the X's and O's in the interview process. More than that, he is a guy who, by virtue of how he presented himself, I feel very strongly will bring the best out of the players that he coaches. He will provide structure. He will gain their trust. He will prove to the players the techniques that are important. When that happens and they buy into it, I think the results will come back for us. He will coach a very important position on our team, one that we will rely on heavily to bring us back to the level of championship play."

and

"We're very excited to have Robert Nunn join our football staff," Fewell said. "He comes highly recommended from some of the other coaches throughout the league. He's coached in championship games; he was the D-line coach for Green Bay when the Giants played the Packers in the NFC Championship Game. He has worked with a number of excellent players - Jason Taylor, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Bruce Smith - and he has 10 years of experience.

"I look for him to bring to our defensive line fundamentals, technique, toughness, energy and to bring us together as a group to help make us a good defensive line unit."

Remember, it wasn't that long ago we plucked a relatively unknown Dline coach from an awefull raiders defense and for the most part he turned out a very good hire
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down