TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Spagnuolo could walk away from Rams if they are sold

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spagnuolo could walk away from Rams if they are sold

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:20 pm

from kffl.com

Rams | Spagnuolo could leave team when team sold
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:05:33 -0800

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo has a clause in his contract that would give him the opportunity to walk away if the team were sold. The sale of the Rams to businessman Shahid Khan is not expected to be completed for a few more months.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spagnuolo could walk away from Rams if they are sold

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:17 am

Interesting, wonder if he would
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:25 pm

TD wrote:Interesting, wonder if he would

I think it entirely depends on the new owner. If he isn't happy with things, then that could certainly happen.

The new owner might want to bring his own management team in as well.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:13 am

If he were to leave, what would that mean for the Giants?

With Coughlin and Fewell, there's no room for him. I'd like him to stay in St. Louis until Coughlin retires and then come here, but I don't know how likely that is.

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:45 am

I think it all depends, if it were to happen there would be limited opportunities for Spags.

I wonder if Spagnuolo would consider a D-Backs/Ast Head Coach role much like Jim Mora had with the Seahawks.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 am

Big_Pete wrote:I think it all depends, if it were to happen there would be limited opportunities for Spags.

I wonder if Spagnuolo would consider a D-Backs/Ast Head Coach role much like Jim Mora had with the Seahawks.
I assume that would be a pretty substantial pay cut, unless he still received his salary from the Rams. If he were to opt out, would he still get some money from them?

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 am

it depends on the deal and how the contract is written I guess. I do believe Spags is one of the cheaper head coaches.

with alot of head coaches the previous team still pays the salary, but presumably if he opted out he would not be paid.

But the obvious benefit is that he could spend a year getting ready for a head coaching gig with a better team/organisation/ownership.

There is a decent chance opportunities with teams like Carolina, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Buffalo, Cleveland, Tampa Bay and Chicago could open up for new head coaches.

For example, if Eric Manginig doesn't turn things around I could see Mike Holgrem working well with Spagnuolo. Or what about taking over a team like chicago with their proud defensive tradition?

I think it will come down to what kind of organisational structures the new owner brings in. After all if you are going to shell out enough $$ to but 60% of the team, you will want to have a big say in how things are done.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 pm

It makes no sense for Spags to opt out. Besides he would be leaving his long time buddy Billy Devaney (rams GM) high and dry. That go against man law. He'll be coaching the rams next season.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:08 am

Pizan wrote:It makes no sense for Spags to opt out. Besides he would be leaving his long time buddy Billy Devaney (rams GM) high and dry. That go against man law. He'll be coaching the rams next season.
I think it is likely that Spagnuolo will be coaching the Rams, but not a certainty.

It entirely depends on the new owner, he may want to bring his own guys in (for both GM and HC). For example he may want to run with a 3-4 which is so popular these days or he may want to return to an explosive offense reminiscent of the greatest show on turf.

The Rams are rebuilding and if the new owner wants a new setup then it makes sense to make some changes sooner rather than later.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Big_Pete wrote:
Pizan wrote:It makes no sense for Spags to opt out. Besides he would be leaving his long time buddy Billy Devaney (rams GM) high and dry. That go against man law. He'll be coaching the rams next season.
I think it is likely that Spagnuolo will be coaching the Rams, but not a certainty.

It entirely depends on the new owner, he may want to bring his own guys in (for both GM and HC). For example he may want to run with a 3-4 which is so popular these days or he may want to return to an explosive offense reminiscent of the greatest show on turf.

The Rams are rebuilding and if the new owner wants a new setup then it makes sense to make some changes sooner rather than later.

Yea but this thread is about Spags being able to opt out. Thats what I was talking about at least.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top