TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Should the Giants consider trade Jacobs or Bradshaw for Antonio Cromartie?

3 posters

Go down

Should the Giants consider trade Jacobs or Bradshaw for Antonio Cromartie? Empty Should the Giants consider trade Jacobs or Bradshaw for Antonio Cromartie?

Post  Big_Pete Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

from espn

Cromartie bidders lining up
9:19AM ET
Antonio Cromartie | Chargers | Interested: 49ers?, Packers?, Giants?, Ravens?, Cowboys?
Top Email

Senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen had word on Tuesday night that the San Diego Chargers are in the midst of trade talks involving starting cornerback Antonio Cromartie. According to Mort's sources, the Chargers are looking to acquire a running back, not too surprising given the fact that LaDainian Tomlinson is on his way out of town, and Darren Sproles -- who is not a proven commodity as a traditional back -- could hit free agency.

You'll remember a few weeks back, when Dallas Cowboys RB Tashard Choice openly claimed that he was happy in Dallas; the reason why he clarified this was that there was a rumor going around that a Cromartie-Choice trade was in the works. That option has to be considered as still active. Mort also lists the Packers as in need of a CB upgrade, but we'll also throw the Ravens, Giants, Eagles, Falcons and 49ers in that mix. Of those teams, the Ravens, Giants and 49ers could probably offer the best RB coming back in trade: Willis McGahee is believed to be on the block, the Giants can choose between Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw, and the 49ers have Glen Coffee, who is more a poor man's version of Frank Gore than a proper complement.

This one should pick up steam fast, even though prospective Cro buyers have all seen this footage.
What do you think?

Should the Giants consider trade Jacobs or Bradshaw for Antonio Cromartie?
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Should the Giants consider trade Jacobs or Bradshaw for Antonio Cromartie? Empty Re: Should the Giants consider trade Jacobs or Bradshaw for Antonio Cromartie?

Post  Big_Pete Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Initially I thought this was all pie in the sky, but thinking a little deeper this does have some merit.

The Giants are loaded at RB and it is possible that either Bradshaw or more likely Jacobs could be expendable for the right price. Although this year is uncapped, it is likely that next year will have a cap. Also there is a good chance that one of Jacobs or Bradshaw would have to go anyways. It could make sense to trade Jacobs and get the money off the books. We have Bradshaw who really stepped up last year despite playing hurt plus Brown, Johnson and Ware. We could also bring in either a cheap veteran or draft a rookie RB.

So that brings us to Cromartie. One the surface I was not too sure, but looking deeper he does seem a good option. we seem to be reasonably well stocked at CB, we had serious problems with injuries and upgrading CB depth will be important , particularly with someone with his size speed, ball skills and tackling ability; he is a great fit for what we prefer at CB.
Firstly we need to upgrade our secondary. Cromartie is big, fast and a genuine ball hawk and is a good tackler (lots of solo tackles) and has been durable.
Could Cromnartie play FS? If not we could use him at CB. We could also move either Ross or Webster to FS (as well as drafting someone at some point).
My only concern would be his attitde, but the Giants have had success with "troubled" players before with "character issues". In fact the disciplined sturcture at NYG might be exactly what he needs.

Cromartie is in the last year of his rookie deal and would be an RFA after the 2010 season. Trading for Cromartie would let us have him for a year with few risks and see how he pans out.

Also remember Fewell had a good defensive unit in Buffalo, and that it was built through quality DBs; their front seven is solid, but not spectacular.

Whilst I would say this is unlikely, there is enough factual basis and benefit for both teams that this is a trade that could happen.

if we traded for Cromartie, our DB depth would be something like

CB: Corey Webster, Antonio Cromartie, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross, Bruce Johnson, Kevin Dockery/Vince Anderson

SS: Kerry Rhodes/FA*, Michael Johnson

FS: Kenny Phillips, Rookie

* I think we will bring in a vetaran safety; quite possibly Kerry Rhodes (via trade) or someone like George Wilson or Ryan Clark
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Should the Giants consider trade Jacobs or Bradshaw for Antonio Cromartie? Empty Re: Should the Giants consider trade Jacobs or Bradshaw for Antonio Cromartie?

Post  Pizan Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:23 am

The only way we acquire Cromartie is if its Bradshaw. He has played poorly the last two seasons. Trading Jacobs opens up to big of a hole. Bradshaw is a good back but his fumbling limits him. Unless he improves it like Tiki did, he is very expendable. Especially with guys like Johnson and Ware on the roster. Also this would almost certainly mean they would move Ross to Safety.

In he end, I dont think we go much further than looking into it. Knowing A.J. Smith he is looking to rip someone off. And I aint for all that again.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:33 am

Pizan wrote:The only way we acquire Cromartie is if its Bradshaw. He has played poorly the last two seasons. Trading Jacobs opens up to big of a hole. Bradshaw is a good back but his fumbling limits him. Unless he improves it like Tiki did, he is very expendable. Especially with guys like Johnson and Ware on the roster. Also this would almost certainly mean they would move Ross to Safety.

In he end, I dont think we go much further than looking into it. Knowing A.J. Smith he is looking to rip someone off. And I aint for all that again.
I thought Bradshaw was the better of the two this past season, and on two hurt ankles/feet too.

The Giants struggled to make up the loss of Ward, no way Johnson and Ware could pick up the slack of Ward, Bradshaw and an aging Jacobs.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 am

Its easy to find a back like Bradshaw, Jacobs is one of a kind. Lets not forget he also played injured this past season.

(Just to clear things up, I meant Cromartie played poorly the past two seasons. After re reading that it was a lil confusing.)
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:46 am

Pizan wrote:Its easy to find a back like Bradshaw, Jacobs is one of a kind. Lets not forget he also played injured this past season.

(Just to clear things up, I meant Cromartie played poorly the past two seasons. After re reading that it was a lil confusing.)
Yea, I thought you meant Bradshaw played poorly.

I think I'd rather stick with Webster, Ross and Thomas, and keep Bradshaw and Jacobs, than get Cromartie.

Your right Jacobs was also playing hurt, but he didn't seem to have that fire at the start of runs that he used to. His acceleration seemed off, possibly because of the injury; but he did too many "Tyrone Wheatley's," run into the line and fall. And he's got to chill out after the play, no more stupid penalties.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Yea I agree. If Jacobs doesnt run harder next year, it could be his last as a giant.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down