TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Taylor Mays a good option at #15?

4 posters

Go down

Taylor Mays a good option at #15? Empty Taylor Mays a good option at #15?

Post  Big_Pete Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am

I am coming around to Mays as a good option for the Giants

Mays may not be a ballhawk, but he is physical and will lay the wood. You can guarantee ball carriers will want to know excactly where is on every play; with his speed Mays can cover a heck of a lot of ground. He would be the intimidating enforcer in our secondary, pairong him with Phillips will give Phillips more freedom to make plays.

Combined with our CBs, that is a scary secondary

from another forum
His best fit is a Tampa Two team. There have been a lot of game changing safeties in the Tampa Two and none of them are known for their elite cover skills: John Lynch, Bob Sanders, Mike Brown, Adam Archuletta (at Rams).

Tampa Two teams run Cover 3 and Cover 1 just as much as Cover 2. Getting one of the safeties moving forward is essential to stopping the run for that scheme. The actual cover two/Tampa two doesn't get busted out until obvious passing situations and in that situation, you just let Mays stay deep and kill anything that tries to catch the ball in his zone.

This is very interesting....

Bill Walsh on safeties:

Those free safeties who could come up and make a major impact hit and finish off the ball-carrier, were the great ones.

There may be situations where the safety has to cover, but there are ways to protect the weak safety. You could put a linebacker on the receiver and the safety just backs him up, for example.

The great free, or weak, safeties are ones who had great range. Often they are in the 6-2, 6-3 category at 190 pounds and have excellent speed and range, much like a hurdler in track. They can go for a ball and with excellent hands be a major factor from sideline to sideline. If a weak safety can have this type of range and can cover ground in full stride so he can work either sideline when the ball is in the air, then he can have a great impact on the defense.

If you have a weak safety who will make the big hit, the pulverizing hit, and finish off tackles, ala Ronnie Lott, then you really have a weapon. It was Ronnie Lott vs. Eric Dickerson of the Rams in a matchup that fans and media sometimes weren't alert to. But it was Lott finishing off the tackles so Dickerson couldn't break free. Lott would either finish him off while somebody was holding him or Lott would just meet him right in the hole and stop the play. So that matchup, the weak safety vs. the running back, also can be a significant one.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Taylor Mays a good option at #15? Empty Re: Taylor Mays a good option at #15?

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 am

Bill Walsh coached and Ronnie Lott played at a time when a safety could strike fear into a receiver.

There's no more leaving your feet and launching at a player when about to catch the ball. 9 times out of 10 it will draw a flag and fine.

This is a downfall for Mays. He may be fast, but imo it doesn't translate on the field.

Todays safeties need to be ballhawks and solid wrap-up tacklers.

The Ronnie Lott and John Lynch hard hitting type of safeties are a thing of the past
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:53 pm

I think alot of people are overly critical of Mays

I think he just needs better coaching and technique, from all reports he is coachable.

I think people have raised the bar with Mays expecting him to be the perfect player, so what. A lot of college players need to work on things it adapt to the NFL, it takes times.

You don't need yp leave your feet for a big hit.

I disagree that todays safeties need to be ball hawks, that is just the current trend. Look at guys like Adrian Wilson or Bob Sanders and what they mean to their teams.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Love both them players but Adrian Wilson I think is the most penalized player in the league. Or at least he was a few years ago.

No you don't need to be just a ball-hawking type. That may have came out the wrong way.
I'm just saying those hard hitting types that put fear into an offense aren't as abundant as they used to be because of the league rules nowadays.

If Mays becomes a Giant I'll still root for him. Smile
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Taylor Mays a good option at #15? Empty Taylor Mays

Post  rjprte55 Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:04 am

[left]
Before the combine all you read about Mays was how over-hyped he was and how he's going to be a bust.After watching the combine I think he would look great playing strong safety.

rjprte55
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:17 am

I think Mays is like alot of prospects in recent years. He is really hyped in the junior year and then falls in the draft

I think this is a combination of factors

firstly, they are over analysed, people go out looking for weaknesses alot

secondly the expectation is raised, people start looking for perfection.

I would be quite happy with Mays at either FS or SS
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:01 am

I think we can do much better with this draft than settling on Mays at 15. Not that I think he's a bad player just not on my list of top 15.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:15 am

Pizan wrote:I think we can do much better with this draft than settling on Mays at 15. Not that I think he's a bad player just not on my list of top 15.

Naturally, he is not my preferred option at #15

at the moment, that would be Sean Weatherspoon to be honest
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Then this would be the first year since I've known you, Pete, that we agree on the 1st round pick. Very Happy
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:00 pm

rjprte55 wrote:[left]
Before the combine all you read about Mays was how over-hyped he was and how he's going to be a bust.After watching the combine I think he would look great playing strong safety.

Welcome to the forum rj!

I don't think Mays will be a bust. I just see better value at the 15th overal pick.
He may turn out to be a decent nfl safety. He certainly has the combine numbers to be if that's what you base him on.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Pizan wrote:Then this would be the first year since I've known you, Pete, that we agree on the 1st round pick. Very Happy

It had to happen sooner or later Smile

Weatherspoon is in my opinion likely the best available value and fills the biggest need.

I am actually liking him better than McClain for the Gmen
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:54 pm

With Antrel Rolle in the building, I think we can safely say Mays is not an option at S
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:52 am

I like him a lot better than McClain. McClain is a two down backer. People want to compare McClain to willis and he isnt even in the same league. Weatherspoon is the best all around backer in this draft.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:34 am

Pizan wrote:I like him a lot better than McClain. McClain is a two down backer. People want to compare McClain to willis and he isnt even in the same league. Weatherspoon is the best all around backer in this draft.

I think Weatherspoon is the best option for the Giants, his skill set is the best fit for what the Giants need.

Drew Boylhart's analysis of Weatherspoon is interesting
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down