TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Osi's trade value

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Osi's trade value

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:40 am

Here is some thoughts on Osi's trade value.

I have looked at the frenzy around signing Julius Peppers (and the huge contract), alot of whom were 3-4.
Let's not forget Osi is a probowl DE and every indication is that he will get back to that nxt year.

Osi is certainly on par with Peppers in ability as a pass rusher and is probably a better fit as a 3-4 OLB.

There is alot of demand for quality pass rushers. Also note that there are very few quality passrushers in either UFA or RFA, particularly under 30.

Part of me wonders whether Jerry Reese is just trying to increase Osi's trade value, but the other side of the coin is that maybe it is reconcilable.

I think Reese has recieved calls from team enquiring about Osi.

It is interesting the teams which are serious about passrushers.

New England - they have 3 second round picks and need a passrusher

New York Jets - they ideally need a quality pass rusher at OLB

San Diego - Merriman is on the outer and they do like Osi alot.

Detroit - they got Vanden Bosch, but another DE makes them start to look really formidable.

Denver - they need another OLB badly and will likely get another 1st rounder for Brandon Marshall.

Reese isn't going to trade Osi unless he gets blown away with an offer; it certainly could happen. I expect Reese is reasonably happy with Osi at DE if need be.

Will some team make the trade for it to happen?

There still is alot of RFAs out there with high tenders, some wil change teams. That could have an impact. Teams are seriously considering signing RFAs on high tenders, Osi

I think Osi is available on the trade market, but his value is much higher than most people think.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Osi's trade value

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:59 am

I think Osi's trade value is high and also think the Giants are nuts to get rid of him.
He should start over Kiwi and likely will again with the Giants.

The Giants would be one injury away from Tollefson becoming a starter if they get rid of Osi.
Is anyone really comfortable with that?
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I think osi is still a good player he just has to be more consistent. With that said he is a top end name that will come with a top end price. I truly feel this is one of those rare cases were we get more value trading him. If we could move up in the draft or acquire more top picks for a 3rd down pass rusher than we do it.

Td, I like tollefsen as a situational player and I to would be worried if he was called upon to start but IMO we're a team of few needs. If we trade osi we would have the picks to bring in another player at de. I'm still hung up on the idea of trading up. I think a impact player at dt would instantly make you forget osi. A dline of kiwi, canty, suh, and tuck with Alford on rotation would be a huge upgrade from what we had last season.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:19 pm

My problem is if we trade Osi to move up for Suh (whick I like the idea) but it still leaves a hole at middle/strong linebacker.

Unless we bring in a guy like Morrison if the staff feels like he's the guy.
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:07 pm

I like Osi alot and I think alot of his issues have come about from frustration.

I also think he is much more likely to be on board with Fewell's system.

It is far from certain that Osi will be traded, there is a good chance he stays. I do think there will be trade offers for him though.
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top