TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

wildcard thoughts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wildcard thoughts

Post  Big_Pete on Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:17 am

I have been having a suspicion that the Giants could really like Taylor Mays and could consider drafing him at #15 (as a BPA pick)

On the surface it doesn't make too much sense, we have good depth at safety and Mays isn't a MLB option.

But what about OLB? If we go with a variation of a Tampa 2 then Mays could easily bulk up into the 240lb range.

Boley seems entrenched at WLB but what about our sub packages? Speed and athleticism at LB has been a big problem.

But what about teaming Mays and Boley at LB in our Nickle packages? We do have 3 starting calibre safeties and three starting calibre CBs.

Maybe Goff/Wilkinson/Blackburn or a rookie could handle MLB on running downs with Mays and Boley playing on passing downs?

It could be we intend to play a higher ratio of nickel defenses, which is reasonable with the prevalence of passing offenses in the NFL these days.

It wouldn't be that far from left field either. In recent years we have regularly had safeties playing WLB in our sub packages.

Maybe we could see Boley spending time at SLB and Mays at WLB in our regular packages, particular with spread formations? Boley does have alot of experience playing at SLB.

We know Boley will be calling the plays anyways

Mays would likely develop behind Boley until he is ready. It may be something of a left field option, but it wouldn't be a huge shock.

Fewell's new schemes is largely under wraps
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wildcard thoughts

Post  Pizan on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:12 pm

IMO Taylor Mays will fall to the 2nd round. He's not like Thomas Davis at all. Mays isn't a reliable tackler. He plays the run well from the safety position but I think he'll struggle if at lb. He's an in the box safety much like Roy Williams. He's just faster but still cant cover for shit.

He's my 4th ranked S and not even an option at LB. Let Al Davis take him. I prefer the Giants draft the football players not the athletes.
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:45 pm

I tend to agree with you

however, I do think Mays is being over analysed (much like Laurenaitis, Melualuge etc) and USC schemes didn't help.

I just think some team (perhaps the Giants) have him as a possible OLB and a tampa 2 would be the best fit.

Personally I would prefer other guys, but I have a hunch that we can't completely rule out Mays as an option (wish I didn't have that hunch though)
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top