TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Fewell Breathes New Life into Defense

2 posters

Go down

Fewell Breathes New Life into Defense Empty Fewell Breathes New Life into Defense

Post  Big_Pete Sat May 01, 2010 7:37 am

from insidefootball.com

Fewell Breathes New Life into Defense

In just one practice, new Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell was more animated and more vocal than his predecessor was all season. And that’s precisely what the Giants want.

“He’s got energy. He’s got enthusiasm,” said head coach Tom Coughlin.
“He’s a good teacher. No question about where he’s coming from. You’ll
hear more of him.”

Observers can also expect to see a more aggressive defense that will be rained to automatically go after loose balls on the ground, and attack. Moreover, they’ll see Fewell on the sidelines – he said that he'd do his play calling on the sidelines since the game is played on the field – rather than in the press box.

“I’m passionate about the game,” he said. “I enjoy communicating
with the players. I’m excited about football. When they make a good play
I’m excited about that. When they make a bad play, I try to encourage
them to make a better play.

Fewell, who of course was the interim head coach of the Buffalo Bills before coming over to the giants, said the experience really helped him understand the big picture. “”When I was just a defensive coordinator, I was concerned about the defense, but I didn’t see the big picture so I’m able to see things outside of a defensive mentality.”

So now he’s hoping to take the pieces he’s been given to work with,
which include five draft picks, and shape the defense into a lean, mean
fighting machine.

“ I like what I saw this morning in the practice, but can they do it over a consistent period of time?” he said when asked if he felt good about the final pieces to the puzzle he’s been given. “After we have a consistent period of practices, I’ll be able to answer that question."

One question that he hopes to get an answer for is what the team will
do at middle linebacker. The Giants drafted Phillip Dillard in the fourth round to compete with incumbents Jonathan Goff and Gerris Wilkinson, but with all the early emphasis they placed on the defensive line, Fewell was asked if the middle linebacker isn’t as important in his scheme.

“MLB is important in anyone’s scheme. When you have a veteran like (Antonio) Pierce, that’s very hard to replace because he’s an extension of the coordinator, a communicator, he has to get everyone set. So that will be very difficult to replace. However I do think we have men in the room that can do that."

Could Wilkinson, whom many believe is the leading candidate to be the
new middle linebacker, be that guy? “It’s too early for me to say. Just me observing him in the classroom, he’s trying to pick up the defense. I think he’ll be able to compete and will have an opportunity to compete for the job.”

Regardless of who wins the starting middle linebacker job, it sounds like no one will be safe in that role.
“It’s an ongoing process,” Fewell said. “We don’t know when it will be settled. We will evaluate it daily. And so what if the men he has aren’t the desired size. "If you have speed, quickness and agility, I think that football players who also show natural instincts are players<” Fewell said. “You give up some size advantage especially when you go against the big football teams like Dallas, but for the most part, if you’re a player, we expect you to play ball.”

Fewell did say that he hopes the defensive line becomes the strength of the team, and is hoping to be able to leave his best players on the field for every down. “I like our defensive linemen to play until they fall out. If they’re in there playing and they give me a 100% effort on first and second, and third down, I have no problem with that If they need a blow, we’ll get them out. I like our best players to be on the field at all times.”

That can’t be good news for DEs Mathias Kiwanuka and Osi Umenyiora,
both of whom have opined that they should be starters, but of the two
only one will get a starting job. Fewell, however, is confident that things will work themselves out.
“All those guys have an opinion on what they’d like to do. I would like for their dreams to come true. If they want to start, then hey, prove it. We have a lot of football and a lot of practice. Let’s just prove it.”

He also wants to see the defense return to the days when the Giants were amongst the most feared units in the league. “I’m going to demand we be physical and play physical. The Giants defense is a physical defense. We know that from history and I want to return to the Giants’ defense.”

Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Fewell Breathes New Life into Defense Empty Re: Fewell Breathes New Life into Defense

Post  Big_Pete Sat May 01, 2010 7:44 am

I am really liking what I hear from Fewell, it also gives some idea of why we drafted the way we did.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Fewell Breathes New Life into Defense Empty Re: Fewell Breathes New Life into Defense

Post  Pizan Sat May 01, 2010 1:05 pm

We see this fluff evey time a new cordinater is brought in especially defense. They talk about how aggressive they'll be and how it will be 11 hats to the football. Or how important takeaways are. Fewell is engertic that might work for some players but might rub others the wrong way. It's a wait and see but I don't think he'll be anything special like
spags.

I don't like his approach of not rotating players along the dline. Maybe that's why his run defenses have sucked ass. I tell you what though, if he don't stop the run here I'll be calling for his head early. And prolly coughlins too becuase he let go one of the best dline coaches and (if fewell fails) has hired two bad choices at dc.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat May 01, 2010 6:17 pm

I disagree somwhat, I think it gives a little insght into what Fewell is thinking from a defensive philosphy.

What is clear is that Fewell has his own system, which will naturally mean changes.

I am alittle concerned about the lack of rotation. However it does have some advantages.

Firstly it means we have our best DLine players on the field. Secondly it lets them get into a rythym and work over players.

It doen't mean that we will have no rotation, but we won't see the regular rotation that we had in recent years under Spagnulo/Sheridan
After all offensive linemen do not use a rotation system either.

Fewell obviously has a comprehensive plan.
I am willing to be patient and see how it shapes up on the field.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sun May 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Under Spags we had a great rotation and that gave us some of the best defenses that we have ever had in the 4-3 alignment. Sheridan was a different story. His injury riddled defense didnt allow him to have much of a chance at rotating.

See whats the point having all these pass rushing DEs when we wont be rotating much? Also, the Oline doesnt rotate because continuity is key with them, for the dline not so much. Keep hitting them in waves with fresh bodies, now that wins games. Just ask New England.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down