TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants - Jets preseason game, any thoughts?

3 posters

Go down

Giants - Jets preseason game, any thoughts? Empty Giants - Jets preseason game, any thoughts?

Post  Big_Pete Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:32 pm

What are your thoughts on the game?

I didn't see the game, but here are my thoughts.

the most obvious change is the secondary, Fewell's focus on turnovers is very apparent with three ints.

Also good that the offense didn't turn over the ball or allow any sacks.

It is good to see the RBs being more involved in the passing game.

after a shaky start, the defense stepped up, either nice adjustments by Fewell or our backups are better quality (or maybe a bit of both)

Linval Joseph seems to be a beast and Victor Cruz - wow. Andre Brown shows nice ability too.

We do need to reduce penalties and time of possession is a worry just 38% (NYG - 22:58, NYJ 36:48)

But it is worth noting there has not been much continuity along the Oline so far, they did ok.

There were a lot of key players out with injury, the backups did ok.

All in all a good hit out against a decent team. Sure we are rusty and there will be a settling in period for the defense with Fewell's system. There are certainly a lot of areas we can improve, but we have a solid foundation to build on.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Giants - Jets preseason game, any thoughts? Empty Re: Giants - Jets preseason game, any thoughts?

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:01 pm

Just fininshed re-watching the game.

My thoughts:

QB's-

I think Sorgi proved to be a gutsy guy that will hang in there and deliver even under pressure. Good accuracy and shows good comand.

Bomar looked good too. Much better than the hefty lefty or Andre Woodson ever showed. He has the speed to scramble pretty good also.

RB's-

Danny Ware.
Not a bad night, he can usually block and he's showed in the past that he can run too. I'm ok with him as a third

Andre Brown.
He's not ready yet. Terrible blocking and average running is all I saw against the seconds and thirds.

Gartrell Johnson.
Displayed pretty good blocking skills. Had a nice run on a screen I believe that showed off some of his physical toughness.

WR's-

Victor Cruz.
Everbody by now has heard about the great night he had. I'll just add that he displayed real skills for a wr that you won't see in the stats.
He knows how to come back for the ball adjust his body and locate it in the air.
This might sound silly this early after just one game, but I think Cruz could be playmaker much like Hakeem Nicks showed early on last season.
Some stuff just can't be taught and Cruz just may have it.

Derek Hagan.
Good stuff from him also. Good hands, not afraid to go across the middle to make the catch.

Ramses Barden.
I'll watch another game or two before I make a call on him. Just looked average to me so far.

DB's

DJ Johnson.
Had a rough night. He was caught in bad position on almost every play that came his way. Don't let his one interception fool you.

Still not a fan of Bruce Johnson either. Not sure why he got so many props last season. Hope he works out though because the Coughlin seems to like him.

LB's

Goff played a respectable first half. He looked better than last year.

Dillard was so so. I think the wise choice is to go with Goff over Dillard as of now.
I certainly hope Bulluck works out for the Giants sake.

Punter, Matt Dodge. Let's just hope it was nerves because we are in trouble if he plays every game like this one. And I'm not even talking about the blocked punt.
There was no hang time on anything, just looked bad overall.

I'll probably add some more tidbits later on as I remember them.

56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Giants - Jets preseason game, any thoughts? Empty Re: Giants - Jets preseason game, any thoughts?

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Also worth noting that was sort of funny.

I don't care what anybody says. This game proved to me that it will likely always be considered Giants Stadium

There may have been more blue jerseys in the stands than there were green ones. Definately not a good thing since this was a Jets home game.

The half time show also spent more time talking about a Giants legend, Frank Gifford than it did with Namath or any of the other old time Jets players standing out on the field.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:32 pm

The backup LB battle is going to be real tight.

Assuming Tracy is headed to the practice squad and the three roster locks are Sintim, Boley and Bulluck

we still have Blackburn, Dillard, Goff, Wilkinson, Kehl, fighting for 3 or maybe 4 spots. A case can be made to keep each of them. A really tight battle.

I think Johnson needs to show more in the running game, Brown is ok at this point, consider him a rookie RB development wise. Brown or Ware is likely our kick returner. I like what Brown flashed as a runner and receiver.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 pm

I missed the beginning, but this Cruz kid looks promising, bye bye Moss.

I wish I had paid more attention to the LBs during the game, I'm going to key on them the next couple games.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down