TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Eli's Int issues

2 posters

Go down

Eli's Int issues Empty Eli's Int issues

Post  Big_Pete Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:41 pm

from espn.com

Scouts Inc.: Examining Manning's INTs

By Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning has thrown way too many interceptions this season (24). Why is that? Some of it is Manning’s fault (in my opinion) and some of it is not. This past weekend against Green Bay (four interceptions) was a rather dreadful performance from this perspective. Let’s look at it a little deeper.

I very much believe that Manning is an upper-tier quarterback. He isn’t elite, but I contend that about 25 teams out there (you know who you are) would trade their respective quarterback for Manning. So, more so than not, I am a Manning supporter. Along those lines, let’s first discuss what has mostly not been his fault with the interception issue. Manning has had a ton of tipped balls land in the hands of the Giants’ opponents. Some have been deflections at the line of scrimmage and some have bounced off his intended receiver. These things happen to all quarterbacks and you can argue that he should do a better job finding suitable throwing lanes, but for the most part, this is just terrible luck that is not the quarterback’s fault.

The other factor here on Manning’s behalf is his young and ever-changing stable of wide receivers. The Giants have an excellent corps of wideouts in Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith and Mario Manningham. But this threesome is also very young and is not always precise with its routes and route adjustments. I would say Manningham is the worst culprit here and Smith is the most reliable. But Smith has been out of the lineup a fair amount this season -- and he is Manning’s safety blanket. Because of injuries, New York was forced to bring in wide receivers off the street who were unfamiliar with this passing game. In turn, miscommunications have been a regular occurrence. And again, I tend to blame this stable of wideouts much more so than the veteran Manning in this particular situation.

Now, it is time to place some blame on Manning. He has forced a lot of passes into spots that he simply should not have attempted. His decision-making has been worse of late than in recent memory. He has not reacted to pressure especially well. Manning has simply tried to do too much. That seems simplistic, but I really don’t have a better way to state it.

The interceptions need to stop for New York to have any chance and Manning has to correct these visible flaws. In eight of the Manning’s 15 games this season, he has thrown multiple interceptions. The 24 total interceptions coupled with fumbling problems in the running game and special-teams inconsistencies have made the Giants far too giving to their opponents. But I still think Manning is a very good quarterback and will prove to be more of the solution than the problem.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Eli's Int issues Empty Re: Eli's Int issues

Post  Big_Pete Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:53 pm

I think this article raises a lot of good points, I found it a very interesting read and much along the lines of what I have been thinking.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Boo Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:08 pm

Good stuff Pete.

One of the biggest problems, as I see it, are the injuries to key receivers like Smith and Nicks. There's a big drop in talent between them and their replacements.

Another problem appears to be no detectable change in the gameplans or the playcalling. I've been reading that the Giants' passing game is one of the more complex in the entire NFL. If so, have Coughlin and Gilbride made adjustments for the lesser talented players?

As for Eli himself, 1- the tipped balls may be excuseable but often times they are negated, in part, by the "dropped INTs". There were two of those in the GB game a week ago. It's arguably a wash.
2- Despite working with lesser talented receivers like Hagen and Clayton, Eli has had several weeks of practice/games to develop some sort of chemistry with them. So far, we haven't seen it. This begs the question... How many INTs are the fault of the receivers running incorrect patterns and how many are the fault of poor reads from Eli?

Granted, I'm merely an armchair QB fan but my belief in Eli is beginning to wane. I see too many poor decisions, not only in terms of INTs, but fumbles, throwing into multiple coverages and so on. Presently, he barely makes the top-10 list of QBs in my book.

Just my opinion mind you.

Boo
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down