TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Eagles Signed Steve Smith

4 posters

Go down

Eagles Signed Steve Smith  Empty Eagles Signed Steve Smith

Post  Pizan Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Its a 1 year deal. They say they expect him to contribute early.

Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Eagles Signed Steve Smith  Empty Re: Eagles Signed Steve Smith

Post  uzi716 Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 pm

This boggles my mind, why would be let him go?!

Worst offseason ever.

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Like I said, Jerry is just sitting there on his ego with a notepad taking notes. This is how you play GM.

I can't believe we let him go to the Eagles of all places.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Smith was one of my favorites. I really hate Jerry right now

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Dang, never saw that one coming. Can't wait to hear all the gory details.
Eagles out of all places? Evil or Very Mad
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Early word is 2 million for one year and could double that with incentives.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Jerry Reese needs to get his head out of his ass and make this team better. So far we've subtracted more than we've added.

Watch Tom Coughlin get fired next year because this team sucks and Jerry Reese didn't do anything about it.

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:02 am

Well now that my head has cleared from this mind boggling move I'm trying to make some sense of it.

Rumor has it that the Giants had offered Smith a 5 year contract worth 35 million at some point last season in which SS declined.
Now if this is true, then it is hard to feel sorry for the player. It is a chance you take when playing the waiting game and then you get injured.

Then looking at some other things:

Tom Coughlin said that the Giants were told they would have an opportunity to match any offer that SS was given. However, the Giants were not given that opportunity. Hard to fault the Giants for that one, if in fact true.

It is unlikely that Smith would have made a huge impact this year anyways coming off from a serious injury. He likely would have started late and rusty with no real quality reps with Eli.

Hixon and Manningham are quality starters and will only get better as they took every snap with Eli this summer.

Domenik Hixon is no Steve Smith but let's face it. He's still pretty good and offers quality plays on specials. Steve Smith offers nothing there.

I believe the Giants still have faith in Barden. He just needs to get healthy.

Jerrel Jernigan won't be getting cut and is suppose to be a slot guy. Another player who can offer some assistance on specials

Darius Reynaud is having a heck of a camp at WR so far. Whether that can translate when real games begin is yet to be seen.

We got some other guys who may have some upside up such as Cruz and Clayton.

Don't forget that Manningham's contract is going to be up next season and there is no way we could have kept both if MM makes a big impact this year.

Also, we are only talking a one year deal here with Smith and the Eagles.
Who's to say we don't make another offer at him next year and possibly at a much cheaper price if he doesn't have that same connection with Vick as he does with Eli?

Suppose we just have to sit back and see how it all plays out.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Very nice write up Todd. You bring up some good points. I'm having a tough time with Smith landing with the Eagles more than losing him. Don't get me wrong last thing I wanted this offseason was to see Eli lose his security blanket. I'm mean lets face it the guy threw 25 ints last year with Smith gone only half the year. Now imagine how many he'll throw with Asomugha and DRC in the division without Smith and Boss. Had Smith gone to the Lions or Bengals it wouldnt have stung as bad. Fact is tho, Reese tried to play hardball, and it didn't work. We lost one of the leagues best route runners to our biggest division rival.

But... we have incredible depth at the position. And now the fight for the 3rd spot gets interesting. Hixon and Thomas seem like front runners now while Barden is out.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Agree Vin. Losing Smith to the Eagles is probably the biggest thing to hurt.

Realistically the Giants had enough time and wr depth to let Smith rest on the bench for 5 or 6 games this season.
The Eagles may not with Macklin being a big question mark. This gives Smith a better opportunity to start and earn his incentives, even if only playing at 80% healthy.

I'll remain optimistic about the situation until we play 4 or 5 meaningful games.

Victor Cruz is another guy I'm pulling for.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

I like Cruz as someone who can stretch the field for us. I'm excited to see how Thomas turns his career around. He has a ton of potential. With Hixon still recovering from his knee surgery and Barden still out its his chance to show up, might be his final one. I think if Barden is healthy we'll forget about Smith. It is nice to be so deep at this position though.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  jwmann2 Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:00 am

If Hixon can manage to stay healthy, Giants won't have to worry much about the Giants depth at WR. Let's be honest, Smith was a good player but not a game changer.

jwmann2
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Post  uzi716 Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 am

Love what I see from Victor Cruz, if he stays healthy we can forget about Steve Smith. We will be fine at WR.

uzi716
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down