TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Gilbride to Raiders?

Go down

Gilbride to Raiders? Empty Gilbride to Raiders?

Post  Big_Pete Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:15 am

from http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/01/mike_garafolo_with_the_giants.html

GILBRIDE PLAYS COY ABOUT RAIDERS 'INTERVIEW'

There have been reports on how defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's interviews with the Jets and Broncos went. But little is known about offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride's conversation with Raiders owner Al Davis last weekend.

When Gilbride addressed the media Thursday -- three days before the Giants meet the Eagles in their divisional playoff game -- he was asked about the phone interview.

"I had a very enjoyable conversation with Mr. Davis," said Gilbride, the head coach of the Chargers in 1997-98. "To be honest with you, I know I got the interview because of the success we've had as a football team and particularly the players and coaches on the offensive side. And I think it would be disrespectful for me to go into anything besides what matters so much to these players and these coaches in this particular game."

While Gilbride said the Giants' recent success led to his interview, the Raiders have said publicly that Gilbride's agent called them to set up what they would only describe as a chat.

"It wasn't an interview, per se," Raiders senior executive John Herrera told the Sacramento Bee. "It was a 90-minute conversation."

Gilbride was given an opportunity to counter the Raiders' comments.

"Maybe I didn't speak loud enough. I thought I made it pretty clear I didn't want to speak any further about it because it would be a disservice to our organization," Gilbride said before reiterating the interview was a result of the "success we've had as a team."

Center Shaun O'Hara said Gilbride's interview hasn't been a topic of discussion this week.

"It's not talked about," O'Hara said. "We understand (Gilbride and Spagnuolo) are focused on winning this next game. ... You understand it's there, but you don't really talk about it, though you may tease him a little bit."
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Gilbride to Raiders? Empty Re: Gilbride to Raiders?

Post  Big_Pete Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 am

I don't buy all this low key hoopla

Gilbride just happened to have a 90 minute interview with Al Davis because it was requested by Gilbride's agent and the immense respect Davis has for Gilbride?

oh but it wasn't an interview.

Thats B/S - what the heck did they talk about for an hour and a half?

I think Gilbride is alot stronger candidate than what I first thought, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gilbride got the Job.

Al Davis has made no secret about wanting a high powered offense. Now he has Russel and McFadden and a solid (but not great Oline) and an excellent year for recievers... hmm

Davis has rolled the dice with rookie coaches for a while now, I think he wants someone with proven experience and success in the NFL, coming of a SB winning team (hopefully back to back) will certainly help. Gilbride is (right or wrong) getting credit for a very good NY offense depsite a lack of super stars.

Al Davis wants to turn it around for sure.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:28 am

I could also see Gilbride being offered an Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator role for Davis if HC doesn't pan out.

I think there is a better than even chance Gilbride is in the Raider's front office next year
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:29 am

I also suspect that since Gilbride apparantly initiated the contact, he is keen to return to the West Coast
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:56 am

Thinking about it more:

Kevin Gilbride as Head Coach

Jim Fassel as Offensive Coordinator

Ron Marinelli as Defensive Coordinator (or maybe Greg Williams, Romeo Crennel)

Gilbride and Fassel having a mandate to build an explosive offense; with potential weapons like JaMarcus Russel and McFadden they have the makings

Marinelli has experience with turning around a very ordinary defense on a very poor team but will have alot more talent to work with in Oakland

(Rob Ryan is reportedly a lock to be Browns DC, and was on the outer in Oakland anyways)
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 pm

from kffl.com

Raiders | Team could speak with Gilbride again
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:01:26 -0800

Steve Corkran, of the Bay Area News Group, reports the Oakland Raiders may speak with New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride again after the Giants were eliminated from postseason contention. When both sides first spoke by phone Jan. 3, Gilbride was promised he would receive an in-person interview if the timing worked out, according to a person familiar with the team's coaching search .
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down