TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Information on our draft picks

Go down

Information on our draft picks Empty Information on our draft picks

Post  Big_Pete Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:20 pm

This thread is for information on our draft picks
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Information on our draft picks Empty Re: Information on our draft picks

Post  Big_Pete Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Hakeem Nicks

from thehuddlereport

Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina

STRENGTHS

Hakeem has excellent strength and is a very smart route runner. He has hands so soft that dairy cows are begging him to milk them the old fashioned way. Hakeem is one of the strongest WR's in this draft and understands how to use his body to shield the defender from intercepting the ball. He reminds me a lot of Hines Ward (WR Steelers). He is very dependable and will come up with the big play when his team needs him. He is a #1 WR and will be a Pro Bowl player, core player and a fan favorite for the team that drafts him. Hakeem is just the type of WR you build your passing game around. He understands situational football and can read defenses as well as most QB's. This kid is going to be one hell of a player.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

He is not the fastest WR in this draft, but we all know how speed is overrated when a player truly loves to play and knows how to play the game. By the way, I think he is at least as fast as Larry Fitzgerald (WR Cardinals) when Larry came out in the draft as the third pick in the first round of the 2004 draft.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1

Question. Who would you trade for right now if you had the option of Larry Fitzgerald or Hines Ward? I would take Hines Ward. Hakeem plays more like Hines than he does Larry because he is mentally tougher. He is also stronger. Hakeem looks for contact. In fact, he initiates contact. The kid has big, soft hands but he is still able to make contact then catch the ball. He has good quickness and can get deep with double moves. When he catches the ball, he is very tough to bring down. Hakeem plays with good passion and looks on film to be a very good teammate. He doesn't take your head off when he is blocking, but something tells me it's just a matter of time before he learns to do that just like Hines. Hakeem, in my opinion, is a franchise player and most will rate him lower than me because he does not have that blazing speed, but I know that speed can be overrated. Ask the Pittsburgh fans when they watch Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes! You want speed or do you want toughness and good hands? You must know what I think. I call him Hakeem (Blue Velvet) Nicks because he has that steely black and blue style of play to go along with those velvet hands. A very dangerous combination for a DB to try and cover.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:08 am

from scouts inc

29. New York Giants
The pick: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina

What he brings: Nicks gained 14 pounds between the combine and his pro day and that is reason for concern. However, we still believe he has the ability to make an immediate contribution. He doesn't have great initial quickness, but he shows good footwork getting in and out of his breaks, and he isn't going to get pushed around by corners. Nicks also flashes fly-trap hands and the ability to make spectacular catches. His catch during the Meineke Car Care Bowl was one of the year's most impressive.

How he fits: This Giants need to provide Eli Manning enough weapons to threaten opposing defenses and Nicks will help. Steve Smith is an adequate complementary receiver, Domenik Hixon lacks consistency and Mario Manningham is a big question mark for a lot of reasons. This pick addresses an immediate need on what is otherwise a very talented roster. While Nicks may lack some of the explosive upside of some other receivers in this draft, he has the frame and tools to contribute in the Giants' offense right away.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:09 am

from scouts inc

13. (45) New York Giants (from New Orleans)
The pick: Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia

What he brings:
Sintim's going to have a hard time matching up with tight ends and running backs in the NFL, and there are also concerns about his instincts. The good news is that at 256 pounds he's big enough to set the edge and does a good job using his long arms to keep blockers off his frame. He's also an effective pass-rusher who can put his hand in the dirt and rush off the edge.

How he fits: This is an interesting pick because many personnel executives thought Sintim's best fit would in the 3-4 at the rush linebacker position, which is the same system he played at Virginia. Sintim is capable of having an impact on special teams immediately and will compete with Danny Clark and Michael Boley at the outside linebacker positions.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 am

from scouts inc

28. (60) New York Giants
The pick: William Beatty, OT, Connecticut

What he brings: Beatty has all the tools; he possesses the length and agility to be a consistent pass-blocker. However, there are major concerns because Beatty is physically underdeveloped at this point. He could have problems anchoring against more powerful defensive ends at the NFL level.

How he fits: Beatty is a kid with all the tools and tremendous upside, but there are concerns regarding his physical and mental toughness. He will be forced to mature on a solid offensive line in New York. He can compete to be the swing tackle immediately and possibly grow into a starter if his mental toughness catches up to his physical ability.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down