TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

2010 offseaon thoughts

2 posters

Go down

2010 offseaon thoughts Empty 2010 offseaon thoughts

Post  Big_Pete Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:36 am

Firstly, I am assuming there is a new collective bargaining agreement in place before next season. I think the NFLPA and the NFL will make an agreement. I am also assuming the Giants will be a play-off team this year

Note: Once Ross is back healthy, I expect Ross or Thomas (more likely) Ross to move to FS. Ross is physical and instinctive. For a corner he is an excellent tackler with exceptional run support. It is worth noting that Ross is a very similar size to Ed Reed. With the prolific passing attacks this year, particularly with deep speed, Ross at FS would substantially upgrade our deep coverage and allow for more creative blitzing packages.

Trade Mario Manningham for a 2nd round pick
Manningham has proven he has legitimate ability and can stretch the field, but this is a deep group.
A likely trade partner is New England, who will be looking for weapons for Brady, particularly speed receivers who can get deep; they also have three 2nd round picks next year. Manningham provides a better option to impact immediately over a rookie WR.
With the emergence of Nicks and Barden along with Smith and Hixon, we have the luxury of a ton talent at WR; in the end Manningham becomes expendable due to lack of consistency and history of niggling injuries (along with Sinorice Moss).

Free Agency

Giants Free Agents
Carr, Hixon, Moss, Whimper, Cofield, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery, CC Brown, Feagles
Resign – Hixon, Cofield and Carr to reasonable contract extensions (I assume Feagles will retire).

Consider contract extensions for Alford, Bradshaw, Umenyiora, Boss, Smith, M Johnson

Release Antonio Pierce
He proved he still has ability, but he is declining. The big reason is to save $ 4.75m against the cap. There is a lot to like about Pierce, but his contract far outweighs his performance.

This means Pierce, Moss, Whimper, Robbins, Clark, Wilkinson, Dockery and Brown will be plying their trade elsewhere in 2010.

Rocky Bernard has not performed as expected so far, and his status will be reviewed during the off-season. But Robbins will be gone and Bernard does provide solid veteran depth.

Free Agency Signings

CB Richard Marshall, Carolina
A good young (24) CB on a bad team. Marshall is a the type of CB we like and gives as a very good group of corners. Marshall also has more speed than Webster, Ross or Thomas giving us better match ups against quicker receivers (which have caused us some problems). The Giants give him the chance to play on a legitimate play-off team.

TE Anthony Fasano, Miami
Fasano is a young (25) blocking TE to complement Boss and Beckum. The Giants give him the chance to play on a legitimate play-off team in his home town. Fasano is solid at best in the passing game and is really a very good #2. Also there are alot of good receiving TEs available in both free agency and the draft.
Other options: Jeff King, Leonard Pope

DT Marcus Spears, Dallas
With the departure of Robbins, additional DT depth is likely needed. Spears young, with a lot of experience, and is a much better fit for our system than the Cowboys two-gap system. Spears should be very reasonable value and reunites him with two former team mates in Canty and Webster. Spears also has the ability to play either DE if needed.

Draft

Going into the draft we don't have a huge amount of needs and can generally take the best player available. We do need to upgrade LB, DT and secondary depth at some point.

1. LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri (6-2, 245, 4.60)
(2007-09: 34 games, 332 tackles, 34 TFL, 9.5 sacks, 16 PBU, 4 Int (106 yds, 2 TD), 7 QBH, 1 FR, 5 FF)
Weatherspoon is a fast athletic playmaker at WLB in the mould of Derrick Brooks. Weatherspooon has been extremely productive. Boley has shown how speed and athleticism at WLB transforms our defense, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Weatherspoon gives depth behind Boley and genuine competition for playing time. We could see both Boley and Weatherspoon on the field in passing downs.
"An active playmaker who has a knack for being around the action." - Scott Wright - Draftcountdown

2a. LB Brandon Spikes, Florida (6-3, 258, 4.75) - from Tennessee through New England (Manningham Trade)
(2007-09: 32 Games, 256 tackles, 29.5 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 12 PBU, 4 Int (93 yds, 2 TD), 10 PBU, 5 QBH, 3 FR, 2 FF)
Spikes is the instinctive, physical MLB to QB our defense. Spikes has been extremely productive.
Either way Clark will be gone and decisions need to be made in the near future about Pierce. Even if Pierce sticks for another year, Spikes could force his way into the mix at SLB. This could also allow Sintim to be used a bit more as a Rush DE. Spikes should not be here, but the same could be said of Sintim, Melualuga, Laurenaitis etc last year. The bottom line is that there is too much talent for the first round. The LB group is once again very deep and pass rushing OLBs will (right or wrong) be the priority. Regardless if Spikes is available here, he is too good to pass up.
"Leader with great intangibles who could project inside or outside." - Scott Wright - Draftcountdown

2b. WR Damian Williams, Southern California (6-1, 195, 4.50)
(2008-09: 20 GP, 92 Rec, 1,394 yds, 12 TD; 16 PR, 269 yds, 2 TD)
* Sat out 2007 with NCAA transfer rules

Williams is a very under rated player with good hands, routes and is a genuine weapon at WR. Under utilised at USC, he certainly has big play potential. WR is an unexpected pick, but Williams is just too valuable to pass up and increases the WR depth following the departure of Moss and Manningham; ot also puts competition with Hixon and Barden for the #3. This could be somewhat of a priority if Hixon doesn't resign. Williams also adds valuable depth and another legitimate weapon as a punt retuner behind Hixon. As recent years have shown, WR tend to slip more than they otherwise should on draft day, hence why Williams is still on the table. If Hixon is resigned as well, it could mean Hagan struggles for a roster spot, particularly if Barden and Beckum progress as expected.
"Williams lacks elite NFL measurables, but he's one of the crispest route-runners in the nation and he catches everything." - Scouts Inc

3. OG Jon Asamoah, Illinois (6-5, 315, 5.00)
Asamoah has started 32 consecutive games at OG, he is a very good offensive lineman with good mobility and technique. He is under rated as he isn't the true road grader currently popular with many teams. Asamoah is very good value here and upgrades our interior offensive line. He provides competition with Boothe and Koets and may push Seubert in the not too distant future.
"Asamoah, unfortunately, doesn't take the snaps for the Illini. Based on his versatility, however, you'd almost imagine he can. Just a steady guard, never injured, and moves really well for a man his size." - Mel Kiper

4. CB Myron Lewis, Vanderbilt (6-2, 205, 4.50)
(2007-09: 33 GP, 127 tackles, 10 TFL, 5 sacks, 9 Int (71 yds), 24 PBU, 1 QBH, 2 FR, 4 FF)
CB is not a huge need, but the Giants will always look to improve depth, particularly a physical guy like Lewis who is a very good fit for our system. This is a numbers game, Lewis should go earlier talent-wise, but there are a ton of good defensive backs this year. Lewis is another CB who could play FS for us. He adds much needed depth to a secondary that was exposed at times in 2009.

5, DE Lindsey Witten, Connecticut (6-5, 260, 4.75)
(2008-09: 18 GP, 47 Tackles, 17 TFL, 15 sacks, 3 PBU, 3 QBH, 1 FR, 2 FF)
*Has had a breakout year in 2009 in his first year starting

Witten is a very good DE and genuine pass rusher with legitimate ability to get to the QB (10 sacks in 7 games in 2009 despite battling stomach bug). He adds a legitimate playmaker behind Tuck, Osi and Kiwi; it likely means the end of the road for Tollefsen as a Giant.

6. P Zoltan Mesko, Michigan (6-5, 231, 4.75)
(2006-09: 45 GP, 237 P, 10,074 yds, 42.5 ave, 66 Long, 73 I20, 0 blocked)
Mesko is a strong leg punter who is used to cold weather football. Mesko is an ideal replacement for Feagles and helps considerably with Field position.
"Mesko is doing well with a 45.5-yard average, which is skewed by a lot of short, directional kicks." - Mel Kiper

7. RB Lonyae Miller, Fresno State (5-11, 220, 4.50)
(2007-09: 31 GP, 345 Att, 1,634 yds, 4.7 ave, 16 TD)
Miller is an explosive RB with a good combination of speed and power. Overshadowed by Ryan Matthews, Miller is a decent RB in his own right. Miller will likely have to compete with Ware for a roster spot.

summary
This draft would give excellent defensive depth allowing a lot of versatility and variation. Two LBs early are certainly a luxury, but both are great value and upgrade key positions. The secondary has enough depth of talent for very good nickle and dime packages as well as allowing variations such as the 5-1-5. In particular, this would likely be the most talented Giants LB corps since the Big Blue Wrecking Crew. Some may see it as a risk replacing Pierce, but Goff and Blackburn offer very capable veteran depth. Considering the very capable Dline up front, this has all the makings of a very dominant defense.

Possible Roster

- With this offseason in mind, my 2010 depth chart would be something like:

Offense (25)
QB - Manning, Carr, Bhomar
WR - Smith, Nicks, Hixon, Williams, Barden, Hagan
TE - Boss, Fasano, Beckum/Johnson
RB - Jacobs, Bradshaw, Brown, Ware/Miller
FB - Hedgecock
OT - Diehl, McKenzie, Beatty
OG - Snee, Seubert, Asamoah/Boothe
OC - O'Hara, Koets

Defense (26)
DE - Tuck, Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, Witten
DT - Canty, Cofield, Alford, Spears, Bernard
SLB - Sintim, Kehl, DeOssie (LS)
MLB - Spikes, Goff, Blackburn
WLB - Boley, Weatherspoon
CB - Webster, Marshall, Thomas, Lewis, B Johnson
SS – Phillips, Rouse
FS - Ross, M Johnson

Special Teams (2)
K - Tynes
P - Mesko

Last edited by Big_Pete on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

2010 offseaon thoughts Empty Re: 2010 offseaon thoughts

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:10 am

I might kick the tires on Ross getting some time on the field with Thomas and Webster. At this point I see nothing to lose. He couldn't possibly get burnt any worse than CC Brown.
I wouldn't make this a permanent change however. I think Ross would get run over by some of the bigger backs in this league once they get to the second level.

There's no way I'd give up Manningham for a second rounder at this point. Mario is still making a name for himself and progressing nicely with Eli Manning. Mario knows how to get free and gain extra yardage by making the first defender miss.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:20 pm

I certainly see your point with Manningham, but he needs to be more consistent, he has dropped a few opportunities cold.
I just think that Hixon, Smith and Nicks can be very effective and perform consistently.

I don't agree with you on Ross or perhaps Thomas, I think one of them could be very good at FS.
Seriously both are similar size to many FS around the league. I think they would be ok. There are alot of guys around the league with similar size and do ok - Brian Dawkins, Ed Reed, Tanard Jackson, Victor Harris, if you go back a little, guys like Rod Woodson. Heck Gibril Wilson is just 5lbs bigger. Don't under estimate instincts, positioning, and very good techniquue to get the job done.
I think Ross would be fine as a deep center field FS, allowing Phillips to play closer to the action.

As far as I see it, we already have safeties who are good tacklers and solid coverage/speed - they aren't getting the job done. I am very happy to add a guy with good coverage/speed and solid tackling.

I understand what you mean about bigger RBs, but if they are that deep there is already alot of blown assignments. To be honest these are reasonably infrequent. Whereas fast Receivers getting deep is a common occurence in every game. Having said that I think Ross could be ok handling the big RBs.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down