TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Giants sign Robert Henderson and claim wr, Thorpe

3 posters

Go down

Giants sign Robert Henderson and claim wr, Thorpe Empty Giants sign Robert Henderson and claim wr, Thorpe

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:56 pm

Giants.com

JUNE 20, 2008

EAST RUTHERDFORD, NJ - The Giants’ competitions at wide receiver and returner added another contestant today when the team signed second-year pro Craphonso Thorpe.

The Giants claimed WR Craphonso Thorpe and signed sixth round pick DE Henderson
The Giants claimed Thorpe off waivers after his release earlier this week by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The team also announced it has signed the second of its two sixth-round draft choices (No. 199 overall), defensive end Robert Henderson of Southern Mississippi, and waived defensive back Miguel Scott.

The transactions leave the Giants’ roster at 86 players. That includes their other six draft choices, all of whom are unsigned at this point. As the remaining six draft choices are signed, a player must be waived for the team to remain at the 80-man limit.

Thorpe, a 6-foot, 187-pounder, played five games last season for the Indianapolis Colts. He caught 12 passes for 70 yards and a touchdown, returned 15 kickoffs for 318 yards (a 21.2-yard average) and brought back six punts for 31 yards (5.2-yard average). He had a long kickoff return of 40 yards and a long punt return of 29 yards.

Thorpe’s best game was in the regular season finale against Tennessee, when he caught six passes for 23 yards, including a 3-yard touchdown.

Thorpe was signed by the Colts off their practice squad on Oct. 6. He was a fourth-round draft choice of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2005 (the 116th overall selection) and spent time on the practice squads of the Chiefs, Houston Texans and Detroit Lions before joining the Colts.

At Florida State, Thorpe played in 48 games with 21 starts. He caught 123 passes for 2,153 yards and 18 touchdowns. He also averaged 21/7 yards on 39 kickoff returns.

A native of Tallahassee, Fla., Thorpe was born on June 27, 1983.

Henderson played in 46 games with 33 starts at defensive end for Southern Mississippi. His career totals include 173 tackles (115 solo), 13.5 sacks for minus 66 yards and 29.5 stops for losses of 123 yards.

56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Giants sign Robert Henderson and claim wr, Thorpe Empty Re: Giants sign Robert Henderson and claim wr, Thorpe

Post  deranged Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm not gonna lie, I'm very interested in Henderson. I think this kid could be a good rotational guy who can make the occasional play or two when he gets the chance to play. It's nice..he'll sit, he'll learn and then he'll play. It's like Jay Alford last year - sat a while and worked his way into the rotation. I could see that happening with Henderson.

deranged
mascot
mascot

Back to top Go down

Giants sign Robert Henderson and claim wr, Thorpe Empty Re: Giants sign Robert Henderson and claim wr, Thorpe

Post  Big_Pete Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:14 am

I am very intrigued by Henderson as well

he has come out of nowhere to a large degree; but I have confidence that the front office knows what they are going (much like they did with Umenyiora, Boss etc)

Craphonso Thorpe does have legitimate talent.

I am intrigued though why we are adding another talented young WR when that position is already stacked; it doesn't look good for Tyree
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down