TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Saints offered #64 for Cofield

3 posters

Go down

Saints offered #64 for Cofield Empty Saints offered #64 for Cofield

Post  Big_Pete Sat May 15, 2010 6:08 am

from http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/05/details_on_the_near-trade_of_g.html

Details on the near-trade of Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield to the New Orleans Saints

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
May 11, 2010, 10:31AM

Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield has been assured he's not on the trading block after nearly being sent to the Saints during the NFL Draft last month.

Two weeks ago, there was a report the Giants and Saints nearly worked out a trade on the second day of the draft that would have sent defensive tackle Barry Cofield to New Orleans for a “second-day pick.” But aside from that, we didn’t get much more info.

There were plenty of unanswered questions remaining, such as exact compensation, why the deal fell apart, who initiated the contact, what exactly was offered, what the talks mean for Cofield’s future with the Giants and what exactly his mindset is now that he knows the team nearly sent him packing.

I now have the answers to all of those questions, courtesy of someone involved in the talks. The person requested anonymity because none of the parties has spoken publicly about the near-trade. Here’s what was revealed:

The Giants weren’t actively shopping Cofield. It’s just that the Saints called with an offer they couldn’t refuse. That offer was the Saints’ second-round pick – the last one in the round, No. 64 overall. At that point, knowing Cofield was playing on a one-year deal and might depart next year without any compensation, the Giants were prepared to at least get something back for him. (I had mentioned there was a team sniffing around Cofield before the deadline to sign an offer sheet; that team was the Saints.)

The teams worked out the trade before the Giants selected Linval Joseph at No. 46 overall. This was an interesting revelation because many assumed Cofield became expendable after the Giants added Joseph. It would seem that’s when talks picked up. But that would be an incorrect assumption. Now, did the Giants select Joseph because they thought they were about to move Cofield? That I can’t answer. I can assume he was one of the players being considered as one of the top guys left on their board. That’s the standard procedure before every pick: talk about the cluster of players left at the top of the board and settle on one of them. Did the possible pending trade nudge the Giants toward making Joseph the pick? Possibly, but again I can’t say that for sure.

The talks fell apart because the Saints’ contract offer to Cofield wasn’t even close to what he wanted. I don’t have the details but apparently the sides were never close to an agreement.

Cofield isn’t currently on the trading block. This was a one-time deal and not something the Giants are pushing to make happen. Of course, once a player’s name gets thrown out there as having nearly been dealt, it’s always a delicate situation. Which is why…

Giants GM Jerry Reese has smoothed things over with Cofield. He told him everything I mentioned above: the Giants weren’t pushing for a deal but couldn’t refuse a second-round pick for him. Reese assured Cofield he’s in the team’s plans for this season and that they wouldn’t have taken less than what the Saints offered. And…

Cofield isn’t going to throw a temper tantrum. Unlike many players who would take this opportunity to become malcontents and distractions, Cofield has gone back to work like a consummate professional, which is exactly what he’s been through this whole restricted-free-agent process. A Northwestern grad, he's a bright guy and he understands the business of his situation. That doesn't mean he's not frustrated by it, just that he knows why he's one of the players getting the short end of the stick because of this whole collective bargaining standoff.

In short, are Cofield's days as a Giant limited? Yeah, it certainly looks that way. But who knows how this will all play out? By next offseason, we could have a new CBA and a healthier, more accomplished Cofield. Don't forget he was slowed last season by microfracture surgery as well as a reconstruction of his patella tendon. Even so, the Super Bowl champs saw enough in him to agree to give up a high draft pick. That says something.

In the long run, this might work out well for Cofield because he could enter the free agent market having played a full season on a healthy knee instead of looking for a long-term deal after a year in which he admitted he was slowed early on. But for now, he's back to focusing solely on this season - one in which it appears he'll be wearing the same uniform he's donned since 2006.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Saints offered #64 for Cofield Empty Re: Saints offered #64 for Cofield

Post  Big_Pete Sat May 15, 2010 6:15 am

There is a couple of interesting facts about this

1. The Giants were obviously looking at a Jospeh style DT before the draft

2. At least one team obviously regard Cofield as a good young DT

3. Cofield has a good view of his value - he is a young DT with alot of starting experience and a SB ring, those are very rare. He wikl get his good payday next year

4. Cofield will be really fired up tp perform this year

In fact that is what I am really looking forward to, Canty, Alford and Cofield all have points to prove and are extremely motiviated to work hard and perform this season. There is also a lot to like about Joseph who will be competing for playing time if not a starting spot.
This may surprise people, but I think we could have the best DT rotation in the league.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Sat May 15, 2010 8:01 am

I certainly don't think the d-line is as bad as it played out last season.

Lets evaluate: Cofield, Bernard, Canty, Robbins, Alford each got hit with the injury bug at one time or another.
Not making excuses, just pointing out facts.

I also feel the loss of a healthy Fred Robbins is going to be missed this season.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sat May 15, 2010 11:01 am

I agree td, Fred Robbins will be missed. Canty, cofield, and Alford just need to stay healthy. Forget the playing with something to prove. That's lame anyway. Our dline still remains very questionable Imo. Having a strong rotation at dt won't seem to help much though remeber Pete, fewell isn't big on rotation.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Pizan Sat May 15, 2010 11:06 am

There are only two facts that come from this.

1. The saints liked cofield better than the other likely options at 64 but not enough to pay him what he wanted.

2. Cofield really over values himself.
Pizan
Pizan
All-Pro
All-Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Sat May 15, 2010 8:40 pm

I know Fewell isn't going to rotate as much as Spags, but that may be a good thing

remember consistency is also important, just look at the Oline...

I don't mind established starters, it doesn't mean the other guys won't hit the field in specific situations or to spell the starters.

It also means there is more competition and pressure to win the starting gig, rather than "I will get to play alot anyways". It should mean extra competition. I think all of our DTs have alot of upside, we just need to see it on the field. This is the best competition we have had at DT in some time, it will be interesting to see what we get.

I will say , the fact we are looking at Henderson indicates the front office is looking to upgrade.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down