TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TouchdownBlue.com
Welcome to Touchdown Blue!

Come join our NY Giants community along with other Great Fans of the Game!

Please take a moment to register for free to discuss NY Giants Football and more.

Your friends @ TouchdownBlue.com
TouchdownBlue.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Giants News Alert

Giants News Wire
Training Camp Updates

Who's more valuable to their team?

3 posters

Go down

Who's more valuable to their team? Empty Who's more valuable to their team?

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:37 pm

Eli or Plax?
Does Eli get to the superbowl if Plax is on injured-reserve last year?
The Steelers proved they can win a SB without Plax. Would the Giants?
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Who's more valuable to their team? Empty Re: Who's more valuable to their team?

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:45 pm

Hmmm, tough one. I will say that Plax is not the same player he was in Pittsburgh, so I don't buy that logic. Without Eli or Plax I don't think the Giants win regardless, no other QB on the roster could have done it, and I don't think Smith would have been able to step into the number 2 role (assuming amani is #1) after being out for so long, especially without Shockey.

With a healthy Shockey, I say Eli is more valuable, without a doubt, b/c Plax wouldn't be as important to the passing game.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:28 pm

no Brainer, Eli

Eli is a young franchise QB just coming into his own

whereas Burress is a good WR now on the wrong side of 30

if you want an idea of who the front office thinks is more valuable, compare their contracts...
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Personally, I think Eli doesn't win without Plax last year and Burress would have made Pittsburgh an even stronger team the year they won the SB.. and even today if he was still with them.

That's likely why Roth made a statement about the Steelers drafting a tall receiving target that is a threat in the endzone and Hines Ward took offense to that.

I doubt defenses really fear Eli... many cb's fear Burress.

Obviously a number 1 drafted qb with upside is going to make more money than a pretty good wr Pete, so the dollar value doesn't really play into this.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  NYG Hampton 27 Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Admin wrote:
I doubt defenses really fear Eli... many cb's fear Burress.
Good point. But I would say that cbs are more likely to fear a wr than a defense fear a QB. What qbs would you say are feared? Peyton, Brady and... well there are some debatable ones after that. [and Vick but no more] While many wrs are feared by cbs.
NYG Hampton 27
NYG Hampton 27
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I think a good examples of the qualtiy QB vs Quality recievers is Arizona. They have consistently had arguably the best WR corp in the NFL, yet their QB hadn't been able to get the job done (although Warner is now doing ok); and the Patriots (before Moss, Stalworth etc) where an under rated WR got the job done due to a very good QB.

I don't but that Plax is irreplacable, if he gets hurt (touch wood he doesn't) we will likely see our other guys step up

Another thing, a WR doesn't carry a franchise on the shoulders, the franchise QB does.

Sorry but I really don't agree with the idea that Plax is more important that Eli
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  56 Crazed Dogs Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 am

I guess I kinda made it into a two part question without even realizing it.

Who's more valuable to their team?I say Eli for the same reasons you mentioned Pete. A qb does usually carry a team on their shoulders. There's been exceptions to the rule.
Though, the giants wouldn't have won 6 games last year with our back-up qbs likely.

Does Eli win the SB last season without Plax?
I say no because I doubt the Giants ever make it to the play-offs.
Plax is an unusual athlete. (A poor mans Randy Moss) who can make most catches that many receivers can't.
56 Crazed Dogs
56 Crazed Dogs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Pete Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Admin wrote:
Does Eli win the SB last season without Plax?
I say no because I doubt the Giants ever make it to the play-offs.
Plax is an unusual athlete. (A poor mans Randy Moss) who can make most catches that many receivers can't.

Once again I don't entirely agree Smile

we don't know how our young guys would have stepped up or whether we brought in another vet WR

who knows, maybe Smith, Moss or Hixon could have stepped up?

This is just like people saying our offense would collapse without Tiki or when Shockey got hurt. A good example is Marquees Colston, who would know what he could do on the field if he didn't get opportunities?

Our passing game would certainly look different, but I won't completely write it off without Plaxico. I think we have plenty of talented WRs and the coaching staff would find some way to get the job done.
Big_Pete
Big_Pete
Giants Legend
Giants Legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down